Notices

Old 7 Jul 09, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post

8 ate Florida! pre-trippie

Ok so we've been back for 10 days so I thought I'd make a start on my trip reports, didn't get a chance to do a pre-trippie due to illness just before we went so a bit of background information first.

Cast:
Domville- Robbins family -3rd trip to Florida been together for 13 years but not married yet as Disney keeps calling!

Me-Louise 36 chief planner, loves coasters will try anything once
OH-Frank 37 most looking forward to the food
DS-Stuart 16 will ride most coasters because he doesn't want to look like a wuss, he hates the heat and we're expecting a lot of moaning!
DD-Megan 12 loves coasters and rides of any sort never says no

Burke family-1st trip to Florida (hopefully we won't put them off enough to make it their last)

My sister-Michelle 30 not sure about the rides but I plan on forcing her on them all
BIL-John 34 likes rides I think, also looking forward to the food
Nephew-Cameron 9 also loves rides and will go on them anyway just to prove to his cousin Stuart that he's not scared!
Nephew- Nathan 7 rather worried about the rides, gonna work on that when we get there!

We last went to Florida in June 2006, had a fabulous time but decided that we wouldn't go again in June as it was a llittle too hot, oh how I wish I stuck to my guns on that one. Anyway started toying with the idea of Florida again as soon as we got back but my sister Michelle and family really wanted to go too and had never been abroad on holiday before so we decided we should do a trial run somewhere closer to home. We had already spent lots of time camping together and lived 2 minutes away from each other so weren't worried about getting along (also spent many a Friday and Saturday night competing against each other on singstar!). Booked a week in Corfu for Oct 2007 and decided if all went well we would start the planning for Florida. Corfu was a washout, weather was rubbish but despite that we had a great time and decided 2009 would be the year we went to Florida together. Booked the holiday in March 2008 with TCD, travelling from Manchester on their brand new airbuses, staying in a villa at Windsor Hills, and so the planning commenced! Discovered the Dibb in August 2008, don't know how we managed our 2 previous trips without it.

Had a massive setback in September when the bombshell was dropped about TCD being no more. After a few sleepless nights and a lot of talking we decided to go DIY and quickly rebooked flights on our credit card with virgin and started looking for a villa, hoping we would get our refund sooner rather than later. Narrowed villa search down to 5 and had a family vote, one villa received 5 out of 8 votes so Rolling Hills it was!

So we were back on track and the real planning could start. We decided that as it was my sisters family's first visit we would do as much as we could as I didn't want them to miss anything. Had we gone on our own as a family we might have skipped some of the parks this trip. We planned on doing the 4 disney parks plus typhoon lagoon, Universal, IOA, Seaworld, Aquatica, WnW, a day at the beach and a day of shopping. We used the Dibb holiday planner and also planned each day were we would eat, all offsite with a couple a BBQs thrown in. The boys in the party spent many hours trawling the menus of Florida eateries situated around International Drive and the 192.

Fast forward to few weeks before we were due to go when I started to feel a little strange, a little bit dizzy with a few headaches and not much energy. Had a battery of tests which all came back fine. 2 weeks before we went I started to feel a lot worse and took to my bed. I was really starting to worry now as there was no way I could have gone on holiday feeling the way I felt. After a visit to the hospital and a further home visit by a doctor they finally decided that I had some sort of vertigo but it was not life threatening. So armed with that information (or it may have been the fact that I was meant to be going to see Take That in a few days) I decided that I would make myself get better and go to Florida, one thing was certain I was already dizzy so the rides and coasters couldn't make it any worse. One welcome side effect of being ill was that I lost 12lbs the week I was in bed adding to my weight loss this year of 21lbs so that was a bonus!

So that's the background info, trip reports here I come!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 09, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
angieanguk
slightly serious Dibber

Great report - cant wait for the rest.
angieanguk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 09, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
pudge
Imagineer

pudge's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Can't wait to read the rest Louise, especially about Rolling Hills x LOL
[/B][COLOR="Magenta"]2006 Crescent Lakes/New Port Richey, 2008 Highlands Reserve, 2010 Cumbrian Lakes (freebie) & Rolling Hills, 2012 Highlands Reserve, 2014 Bridgewater Crossing, 2015 Rolling Hills/HRH, 2016 Dibb villa Highlands Reserve/HRH & Vegas, 2017 Rolling Hills, Xmas 2018 Rolling Hills & RPR, 2019 Highlands Reserve, 2020 Highlands Reserve canx 2021 Emerald isle fingers crossed
pudge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 09, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue F
Imagineer

Sue F's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hope you're all better now Louise. Looking forward to reading all about your trip.
Old 7 Jul 09, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hope you feeling better and have a great trip
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 09, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lydiakate
Imagineer

Lydiakate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Looking forward to reading more. Great start.
Old 7 Jul 09, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
fiona3103
Imagineer

fiona3103's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Did you stay in a Dibbers villa in Rolling Hills? We've got one booked and go in just over 6 weeks - it's our first time in a villa. How did you find Rolling Hills in general for getting to the parks, eating out etc?
fiona3103 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 09, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

Its lovely taking first timers... looking forward to more

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 09, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Did you stay in a Dibbers villa in Rolling Hills? We've got one booked and go in just over 6 weeks - it's our first time in a villa. How did you find Rolling Hills in general for getting to the parks, eating out etc?
It wasn't a dibbers villa as no-one had availability for our dates but we really enjoyed staying in Rolling Hills, we have previously stayed in communities close by so we knew our way around a bit. Really close to disney, especially if you figure out the sherbeth road shortcut and loads of places to eat close by
Old 7 Jul 09, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Hey Louise,

Hope you're feeling better now. Can't wait to read all about your trip.

xx