Our West Coast Adventure - July 2009 - Day 6

Day 6 - Wawona and Mariposa Grove
Monday 13th July

Day 5

Us lot…

DH (48) – Enzo – puts up with us and is happy as long as we’re happy

Me (39) – Angelina – the planner and tour guide

DD (16) – Gabriella – my shopping buddy…if there’s a Sephora…we’re in it

DS (13) – Gianni – likes to eat and always has a smile ready when he sees my point the camera at him

Today is our second and last day in Yosemite Following yesterday’s exertions we thought it would be a good idea to take it easy.

I have absolutely no idea what time we got up. I know that we had to do the whole shower/antibiotic cream application thing again whish was getting really tiresome but Gianni’s spots were clearing nicely. Unfortunately, he was getting obsessed about every spot and wanted cream applied to all of them. Now I’m no doctor but even I know that those forehead spots are ‘I’m a teenager spot’! I felt like dousing him in the stuff

Following our in-room breakfast we set off for Yosemite once again and made our way south towards the Mariposa Grove.

We passed the turn-off for Glacier point on the way and thankfully there was a nice queue of traffic so the family didn’t make me feel TOO guilty about dragging them there yesterday.

Forty or so minutes into our drive we stopped at Wawona where it was baking hot. We practically melted when we climbed out of the car.

We visited to Yosemite Pioneer History Centre. There was a lovely display of really old carriages which I unfortunately didn’t photograph and I now regret. We then went into the section which housed old log cabins by walking over a lovely covered bridge…it was like the bridge in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow…I kept expecting the Headless Horseman to come galloping by lol

We had a good nosey through the cabin windows and they certainly were not luxurious but the wood smelt gorgeous….strange girl that I am

On the other side of the car park were some steps leading up to the Wawona Hotel. Such a pretty hotel and the grounds are immaculate.

We made a visit here to use the payphones as the ones at our hotel and the Yosemite Lodge (in Yosemite Valley, we nipped in here yesterday and I forgot to tell you ) weren’t working. No mobile phone signal either….hey we were in the middle of nowhere. I knew that by now my mum and mum-in-law would be getting anxious because we hadn’t called them since day 2 of our trip.

Much amusement followed. Mum-in-law shouted that she couldn’t hear me so I’m shouting down the phone. It was worse with my mum. I rang her on her mobile because she and my dad were in Italy and the line was really rubbish. I was trying to explain to her that we hadn’t phoned because no phones available and the mobiles didn’t work. Ok I was shouting this as well because she was saying she couldn’t hear me. ‘but I’ve been calling Enz’s mobile and wasn’t getting an answer’ ‘mum we’re in the mountains, there’s no reception here. If we can’t call you, you can’t call us’ She kept repeating the same thing because she couldn’t hear my answer, or so I thought, turns out even when we got home she still can’t understand that if there’s no signal for us to call out then we won’t be able to receive calls. What a family of nutters we are. I ended up hanging up the phone on my own mother, oh the shame of it! Well at least she knew we were ok now lol I really felt sorry for anyone in the vicinity who had to endure me shouting down the phone.

Following that little family duty interlude we nipped into the Wawona Grocery to pick up some lunch for later. We bought 4 each of sandwiches & pieces of fruit and 2 bottles of water (we weren’t being tight….we still had some water in the car) for the grand sum of $30.

Groceries safely tucked away in the car we carried on with our journey to the Mariposa Grove. There is a car park at Mariposa Grove but if that's full, a barrier is put across the road leading up there from the South Entrance. There is choice, at the South Entrance, of either parking in a teeny tiny car park or parking behind the shuttle stop. We parked up behind the shuttle stop and plonked ourselves on a fallen log in the shade to have out pic-nic. Now remember the sandwiches we bought? Well they didn’t look very big in their packaging, all you could see was the top of the bread when it was packaged up, but oh my word, how on earth do they pack so much into them? I had a turkey and cheese focaccia and I’m not exaggerating when I say there was a whole flipping turkey in there I thought Enz and the teens would be put off cheese there was so much in theirs. Another, ‘regret I didn’t take a photo’ moment.

We had a little restroom stop here, as you do. Do use the restroom here before you go up to the Grove. Even if you don’t think you need to. Stop the car, get out and tinkle. The loos were clean and they were proper loos with sinks with running water to wash your hands in. When you get up to the Grove’s car park there are loos but they are in those mobiles classroom looking things. I didn’t even go in them. The stench outside them was enough to make me hold it in a little longer You have been warned.

Edited at 08:45 AM.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 09, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Sorry, I went off an a little restroom rant there We made our way to the shuttle stop but then the barrier to the upper car park was opened so we hopped into the car again and made our way up.

Having seen the sign which indicated that the Fallen Tunnel Tree was 2.1 miles along the trail…..

…… we thought it would be a good idea to walk up rather than take the bus tour.

We wandered along the trail, stopping off to take photos and smell the trees. Yes, smell the trees. They are such a gorgeous colour and the smell of them is divine. Honestly, if you’d told me that I’d be waxing lyrical about a few ruddy trees before we’d got here I’d have said ‘whatever’. On the first part of the trail there are lots of information boards in front on the trees which is all very educational and even the teens were stopping off, reading them and saying how interesting it all was…shock!

We passed by the Bachelor and Three Graces….

…stood in awe of the Grizzly Giant….

….and posed in the opening of the California Tree.

At this point a lot of our fellow tourists turned around and made their way back. Not us Don’t forget, I’m still thinking WeightWatchers…wish I’d taken a pedometer….

Onwards and upwards we walked…I think we can safely call it hiking at this point…through the beautiful Sequoias. Up the dusty, steep, winding, narrow track we went. DH and the children crossed a fallen log.

I walk around it. I was so nervous waiting for them to cross it. Honestly, if one of them had fallen and broken a bone, it was a long way down to get help….no mobile phone signal here either

We had a water stop outside the Mariposa Grove Museum and marvelled – there really is no other word – at the little Sequoia nursery they have there. Well I marvelled…the teens were hot and bothered by now and just wanted to get to the top.

A few more steep meters we climbed until we reached our target. A great big tree. The Fallen Tunnel Tree. I think the children were a bit disappointed to see that we’d come all this way for a fallen tree….erm the clue’s in the name! I couldn’t quite capture on camera just how gorgeous the roots of this mighty tree are but I gave it ago. It was like a piece of art.

Now do you remember that sign that said it was 2.1 miles to this point? I’m sure someone made a mistake and put the point in when there shouldn’t have been one

Gabriella and Gianni raced ahead and didn’t bother to take the beauty in anymore…it was so steep going back down that our legs were running away with us. I stopped for another photo and thanked the trees. I don’t know what for but it just felt right. Made me feel quite emotional. Jeez I’m soft lol

We caught up with the children and decided it was time to head back to the hotel. There was no way we could do any more today. We were a bit tired and we had chores to do when arrived back….oh the joys

We ended up all over the place when we got back to the room. I went off to put the laundry on. DD hopped in the shower first so that she could take the netbook to the reception area so she could log on to have an MSN chat with her boyfriend. The boys showered, I showered, we all met up to head out for dinner. Just had to throw the washing into the dryer and off we went.

Tonight we decided to eat at the Cedar Lodge which we had driven past on our first day here. When we were handed the menus we realised that this and our hotel must be owned by the same people….the menus were practically identical with just a few changes. I can’t remember what we had here or how much it was…very similar to our first night though. The salad buffet was not brilliant at the Yosemite View Lodge but in comparison to this one it was the bees knees. However, reading my notes I’ve written that the mains were very good, not just ‘nice’.

Dinner over, we headed back to the homestead, collect the laundry and fell into a deep slumber ready for another travelling day tomorrow.

Edit to say... just to warn you...tomorrow is BORING! So won't be too much to read

Day 7

Edited at 07:15 PM.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 09, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sue.o
Very Serious Dibber

I'm loving the detail you are putting into this report and you are bringing back such happy memories! Thank you for sharing.
sue.o is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 09, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Loving your trip report so far!

I'm really enjoying reading it and looking forward to the rest of it, as we're going a very similar trip in October!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 09, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I know exactly what you mean about the smell of the trees, it's fantastic. I was sniffing away. We did the tram trip as I can't walk far, especially uphill. There were stops so we could touch and get close to the trees so it was possible for me to get up to the top. Not keen on the Yosemite View Lodge but it is a lot is pricier to stay in the Park. I did refuse to book the Cedar Lodge
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 09, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great report with lovely photos.
Old 21 Aug 09, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Thank you for the lovely comments.

Lola I'm glad you smelt the trees too. I don't feel like such a nutter now
Old 21 Aug 09, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Im loving your report! Great tree pics!
Old 24 Aug 09, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Another great day and fab photos
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 09, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Hee hee your description of the phone call to your mum and being a family of nutters made me lol. Your reports are hilarious
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List