Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sarah and Rachel do Hawaiifornia, July 2009 - Day 3

The cast:

Me (Sarah) 24 – Disney addict and holiday planner extraordinaire

Rachel, 21 – Lover of sleeping in late and not doing a lot else. Partial to a little Disney. Oh, and my little sister.

Day 3 - Biking the bridge
Wednesday 15th July

We had intended to get moving early today as we wanted to start the bike ride before it got too hot. I can't remember what time we woke up, but we went out to get some breakfast at about 10am.

We decided to try a place just down from our hotel that we had seen the previous day called Hollywood Cafe. As we walked in we knew we had made the right choice as the breakfast items were all served with a huge pile of gorgeous fresh fruit, mmmm! I highly recommend it, if you are staying in Fisherman's Wharf.

I had french toast and Rachel had pancakes, which were delicious and I can honestly say that it was one of the best meals of the entire holiday! After breakfast, Rach announced that she was feeling much better, so we could bike the bridge...hurrah!

We headed down towards the Powell and Hyde cable car, where one of the branches of "Blazing saddles" was located. This company was recommended to us by our cousin who had just been to SF and seemed to be the biggest rental company, but there were plenty of others.

Our bikes came with a handy pouch on the front to keep our bags in and seemed to be simple enough to operate, although we wheeled them out of Blazing Saddles anyway, as its located on a really steep road and we didn't want to take out any tourists on the way.

It was really foggy today, which obsecured the views of the bridge and the skyline from the bike trail, but it was a comfortable temperature (except on the Golden Gate bridge itself, which was freezing! ) for a semi-strenuous bike ride.

Almost on the bridge:

Halfway across:

(Don't be fooled by how empty the bridge looks in this picture, there were pedestrians and other bikers EVERYWHERE!)

It took us about 2 hours to reach Sausalito, where it was lovely and sunny, as we kept stopping for photos but we could have done it
faster.

"Sunny Sausalito" lives up to its name:

We had lunch at Starbucks in Sausalito and had intended to carry on to see the Redwood trees and then on to Hebron but after looking at the ferry times back to the city we found they weren't very frequent and didn't want to miss the showing of Harry Potter, so ended our bike ride there and caught the 1.50pm ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf.

After a quick rest at the hotel we were on our way again to the Powell and Mason cable car. It was now sunny but really breezy and cool, much more typical weather for SF!

While we were queuing there was a homeless person playing a trumpet and he had a sign saying, "Need money, otherwise I will have to eat the bunny!"

Rachel said to me, "Does that sign say bunny?"

"No, it can't be" I said, as I couldn't see a rabbit.

But, sure enough, there was a rabbit hopping around the man!

During the time we waiting for the cable car he hopped around all the tourists and we got to stroke him... and then of course we felt we should give the man some money, so we did. I have seen some inventive homeless people around SF before, but I think this one wins, hands down!

We had intended eat at the Cheesecake Factory in Macy's but by the time we got to Union Square there wasn't really enough time before Harry Potter started so we ate at Panda Express AGAIN instead. This time Rachel actually ate though!

:pop: Harry Potter was ok, but I'm not really a fan of the films as much as the books. We were the only ones on the cable car going back to Fisherman's Wharf, and arrived back around 10.30pm.

Tomorrow? Getting our car and driving to Yosemite - My favourite place on earth!
Old 31 Aug 09, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

brilliant trippie,looking forward to more. mo
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkers
Imagineer

Great Rachel is feeling better and you managed to do the bike the bridge. It looks really fun.

Hilton Head April 2018
China & Japan Sept 2018
Portugal Oct 18
Tinkers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 09, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Siddex
Very Serious Dibber

Siddex's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Another great day, biking the bridge looks cool.
Siddex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 09, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
You have posted some lovely photographs, I especially like the biking the bridge and Sausolito photo's as we're also going to be doing this. We plan to carry on to Tiburon and catch the ferry from there, I am in training!

April 1999 - Rodeway Inn Sept 2002 - Chatham Park Villa Sept 2004 - Quality Inn Plaza Nov 2005 - Crowne Plaza Universal Nov 2006 - I Drive Inn Sept 2007 - Homewood Suites Jan 2007 - DLP & Paris
Oct 2009 - Road Trip (Groveland, Yosemite, Vegas, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Kingman, Palm Springs, Buena Park, Valencia, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco)

tracyh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 09, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Really enjoying your trip report! Another great day! Bike trips looks like fun! Glad Rachel is better.
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 09, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Brilliant photos again. So glad that Rachel feels better now. Shame you didn't get to eat at The Cheesecake Factory but your breakfast looks yummy.

Looking forward to your Yosemite trip. It's my favourite place too...wonder if I should change my name to YosemiteMadAng
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 09, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Breakfast looks great...and the bunny is so cute!
I'd love to be able to do the bike ride over the bridge
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 09, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

A lovely day for you. I love Sausalito it's just so pretty. We saw that man and his bunny at the Cable Car when we were there last year. It's good to see he hasn't eaten the rabbit yet
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 09, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Great photos, poor wee bunny!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List