Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

California & Vegas Sep 09 - Day 1

The cast

Me - Sarah, 25
Boyfriend - Darren, 26

Day 1 - We finally arrive in Anaheim

We woke up about 6.30 and as the alarm was due to go off at 7 decided there was no point in laying in bed any longer and i bounced out of bed made a tea & coffee and jumped in the shower. Once I was out Darren got in there soon after and at about 8am i was sat tapping my fingers waiting for Darren to finish getting ready and finally at around 8.15am we were already to check out, hand the car keys over and jump in a taxi to terminal 3. £7 and about 15 minutes later, after dealing with some traffic we were dropped off at Virgin zone at Terminal 3 and headed straight to bag drop, i forgot to mention I had already checked in online the day before, infact i jumped online as soon as i woke up the day before to do it. Straight to an empty desk the usual questions and handed over our cases, mine already over weight at 27kgs (I hadn't even shopped yet) and Darrens a nice light 14kgs, boarding passes given to us which all was done very quickly and straight upstairs to go through to the departure gates.
We walked around looking in the shops for abit and decided to head to TGI Fridays for breakfast, 2 Grilled breakfasts with a Coffe for Darren and an Orange juice for me and £18 later we were full and left for another look around the shops and trying to waste time untill we could finally start boarding. We went into WHSmiths to get a couple of magazines, newspaper & some sweets for the flight and the decided to head to our gate, by the time we got there our flight had already started boarding so we joined the short que left still to board and were quickly onboard Mystic Maiden and in our seats waiting for take off, we ended up taking off about 15 minutes late but at last at about 11.30 we were finally in the air and on our way to LAX

The flight was ok, but gawd 10 hours on that plane and I couldn't wait to get off. The films were quite good, I ended up watching The Proposal which i really enjoyed and I, love you man which couldn't of been that great because i ended up switching it off. The food was ermm how can i put this politely? fit for a dog? i don't normally complain with plane food but this time it seemed really awful, we both chose the beef stew and didn't eat much of it all all. We were given a choc ice which was nice and a wrap sometime during the rest of the flight which tasted alot better than the dinner we were given, i slept for a bit on the flight which is unusual for me when we are going because i'm normally to excited but im managed about an hour.

We finally landed in LA around 2.30pm local time, immagration wasn't to bad as I think ours was the only flight queing at the time. We were near the beginning of the que and noticed one of the immagration officers was a bit of a grumpy git and were hoping we wouldn't end up with him, but yep you guessed it we did . He looked at my form, which I had forgotten to date and sent me back to the que where i got called forward by a much more happier, politer and general nicer officer. A few questions asked, passport stamped, fingerprints & photo taken and I was through, Darren had been left with the grumpy git and was soon given he's passport back and let through. Our bags were waiting on the carasel for us, collected and finally out of the airport we headed straight to the Dollar shuttle which was already there and waiting and travelled the short journey to the rental car office. Once we got there and in another que which seemed to move extremely slowely we were finally done there and of to chose a car, car picked and finally around 2 hours after landing we were on our way to the Sheraton Anaheim at about 4.30pm.
Traffic a bit heavy but not quite as bad as I expected we finally arrived about 5.30 and were greated at the reception desk to xcheck in by a very friendly man and were given a king room over looking the Rose garden on the 2nd floor, room number 2189.

I couldn't believe the size of the room when I walked in, it was really nice and probably one of the largest hotel rooms i've stayed in, although the bathroom was a bit small considering how big the room was but no problems at all. We unpacked and freshened up then headed out for some food about 7.30 Darren wanted something quick and noticed a McD's and suggested there not exactly what i wanted but I was getting to tired to care, so just smiled and agreed, so we headed in and a Big Mac meal for Darren and a quater pounder meal for me we were soon done and needed to head to Walmart to pick up the new camera I had ordered and some drinks & snacks to have in the room.

Camera picked up, snacks, drinks and some other bits and bobs which came to $40 we left Walmart and got back to the hotel about 10.15pm by now we were so shattered and had been up for about 24 hours, so after filling the fridge with our goodies and me messing around with my new camera for a bit and a quick shot taken to test it out

we relaxed in bed watching tv and and i think i was fast asleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

Edited at 09:12 PM.
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 09, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Great start! Been waiting for this ever since you started your pre-trippy! Thanks for posting

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 09, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Great first day!

I'm really looking forward to this TR as we're going in 2 weeks

I hope you have it done by then!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 09, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Great journey & start!
Old 21 Sep 09, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Fab start! Sheraton Anaheim looks lovely and we are staying there next year too !

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 09, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Thanks for reading, the Sheraton was lovely i'd deffiently stay there again
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 09, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Great start to your holiday Sarah...You did well to stay up so late, hope we can do the same
Thanks
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 09, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdtob
Excited about Disney

Well done you starting so soon after coming back

A great day, looking forward to the rest
mrsdtob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 09, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Great report! Travelling to LA for over 24 hours normally kills our appetite and I find we walk around in a slight haze lol

Bet you still wake up early tomorrow
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 09, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Good start - I stayed in this hotel back in the mid 80's. The room looks a lot different I msut say - thank god really as you would expect a refurb in 30 years!