Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Adventure Chez Mickey - Day 3

<<Day 2

Saddle Up and Ride Out

Breakfast and checkout marred only by more trouble with our room keys. Lessons learned 4: book a room near the main building. At least we don’t have far to go to sort things out. There’s a cute comedy moment when Peter goes back to the room. The door opposite opens, and two cute little Spanish girls peep out and greet him with ‘Buenos Dias, Senor’! He manages a rather startled ‘Buenos Dias!’ and they disappear giggling.

We pay 10 Euros for our luggage to be taken to the station for later, and still manage to catch most of EMH. Peter is still the undefeated Buzz Lightyear Champion, and this time he did Space Mountain too.

I wait in Videopolis, where they haven’t yet started playing the classic cartoons for the day, so I get to hear the ‘Mickey’s Magical Party Time’ theme in French instead. The first line is now stuck in my head, but alas, I don't know the rest of the words!

Time for a few more favourites, including Peter Pan’s Flight again, and to Pirates of the Caribbean for opening time. I wince a bit at the two drops, but really they’re manageable even for me, and the theming is still terrific.

Over to Indiana Jones – but it doesn’t open until noon. What is it with these staggered opening times? Oh well, time to nip over to the Studios, and today Peter vows he really will get to ride Crush’s Coaster.

Crush’s Slow-ster

Despite the board showing a 70-minute wait, Peter decides it’s now or never and joins the Crush’s Coaster queue.

I go for a coffee and a Mickey beignet (aka doughnut) in Studio 1, but I’m soon interrupted by a phone call from Peter. The morning parade is here, and it’s our big chance to catch Stitch!

Well, we try our best, but Stitch is prioritising meeting the children – only fair, I suppose, particularly when it’s such a scrum to get to him. I consider temporarily adopting one of the cuter little queue-disrupters, but since I am not Madonna this probably wouldn’t work.

Stitch: now in three languages!

Still, we’re in a Stitch kinda mood now, so we decide to do Stitch Live. While we wait for the English version to open, we watch the High School Musical show – not necessarily through choice, it’s just pulled up in front of us. But the CMs are working hard and do a good job with it.

We notice that Stitch now has a showing in Spanish, as well as French and English. When did DLP get to be holiday of choice for Spanish families? Well, I suppose they have to go somewhere to escape the hordes of rowdy Brits invading their country.

Stitch Live is even better now the pre-show has lost all traces of the previous dreary Disney Channel stuff. Instead we get a message from the Grand Councilwoman, who gives a quick recap of the plot for those who haven’t seen the film. When the doors open, we race for the seats we remember being picked from last time – but sadly we still don’t get to talk to Stitch personally. We must have a particularly multi-lingual crowd this time; not all of those picked to talk with Stitch quite follow what’s going on, and most of the audience don’t really join in with the participatory bits. Stitch’s voice is a little hard to understand sometimes, even for us. We try our best, and it’s still one of the most fun things in the park, but I wish we’d had time to do it again with a different crowd.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14

Edited at 10:11 PM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 09, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
La la la … Animagique!

Language is no barrier at this wonderful show, because who understands what Donald Duck is saying anyway? The story of Donald sneaking into the Disney vault and encountering classic characters is simple and fun, and the puppetry is inventive. The show is really one of the little gems of the park.

You Have Major Thrill-Ride Issues, Dude

Peter spots the board outside Crush’s Coaster saying ’40 minutes’. This is the last chance before we leave Studios, so he joins the queue and I nip into Art of Animation gallery to try the machine where Ursula has me re-voicing ‘Hakuna Matata’. Simple, but it really works well.

Then … uh-oh, phone call from Peter. He’s got to the front of the queue, and they close the ride for ‘technical problems’. It’s hard not to feel that Crush has a personal grudge. Or has Mickey bribed him, to ensure we come back?

Anyway, we enjoy the classic Disney clips and Mushu’s wisecracks in Art of Animation, and then we bid Studios a fond farewell.

Wild and Mild

Back at Disneyland Park, Peter finally manages to get on Indiana Jones, while I browse the shop and try on a rather nice example of ‘Le Sweat Zippe’, otherwise known as a hoodie. We’ve noticed these all round the park – they have a character on the back, and the name in big letters across the front. They look pretty smart, and they’re on offer too. Hmm, how many Euros do we have left again? I settle for a CD of the Party Time theme – English only, and I later discover it’s only the main theme. That puts paid to my dreams of recreating Tigger’s ‘Riverdance’ moves at home then.

In complete contrast, we ride Le Pays De Conte Des Fees (the Land of Fairytales), which is a rather sweet gentle boat-ride through some well-known story scenes.

The ride gets stuck for a few minutes in the Cave of Wonders, but we’re soon out, just in time for our reservation at Walt’s.

Old-Fashioned Elegance, Modern Cuisine and Futuristic Prices

Walt’s is a beautiful building, and we enjoy the elegant surroundings and the attentions of the waiting staff. The meal is excellent – only surpassed by the California Grill meal we had on our last visit. Definitely the best place to eat in the park. Just as well, as our meal is 37 Euros without drinks.

We have just enough Euros left for a hoodie each. Yes, we could no longer resist them. Mine is black and has Grumpy on the back, while Peter’s navy one has a great picture of Stitch.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021

Edited at 10:17 PM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 09, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Au Revoir, La Fete Magique Du Mickey

There’s just time to round off our visit with another look at Party Time. The audience still don’t join in much, but the cast dance up a storm, and it’s nice to have a send-off from Mickey himself, who appears and disappears magically in a cloud of smoke, to the magic spell of ‘Miska, Moska, Mickey Mouse!’ (Maybe it makes sense in French? No, probably not.)

Eurostar’s Definitely-Not-A-Party Train

Getting our luggage at the station is a breeze, and we’re soon through security and onto the train. Everything’s fine until just outside Lille, where we sit still for over an hour. No-one is quite sure why, although some sort of announcement about ‘illegal people on the line’ is made. Later there’s an announcement asking if there are any doctors or nurses on board.

After an eternity, we finally get moving, and we doze until we’re through the tunnel. But then we crawl all the way, and we’re over two hours late into St Pancras. We learn later that there were serious problems with the power lines, and we were lucky not to be on the London to Paris train, which was stationary and in darkness for hours. To be fair to Eurostar, this is the first time in many journeys that we’ve ever had a problem. The harrassed staff at St Pancras tell us to check the website for details of a refund, and we manage to grab a sandwich from M&S and head for the Tube home.

And so another trip is over. All that’s left is to check out our photos and video footage, and start thinking of future trips. Au revoir, DLP, see ya real soon – maybe?

INDEX

Edited at 08:18 PM.
Old 17 Oct 09, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Breakfast and checkout marred only by more trouble with our room keys.
Hehe!
Have you not figured yet that the door keys are an ingenious Disney game? After 11 trips, DW and I have done the majority of the hotels there, and the door key systems are all the same.

Its an aquired skill - slide in slowly...wiggle, then pull it out quick.
(Thinks and reflects --- I am so married... )

When did DLP get to be holiday of choice for Spanish families? Well, I suppose they have to go somewhere to escape the hordes of rowdy Brits invading their country.
Oh theyve been doing it for a while Gill.
I think they like to give us a taste of our medicine and give us their version of "lager lout" behaviour.
Old 17 Oct 09, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Walt’s is a beautiful building, and we enjoy the elegant surroundings and the attentions of the waiting staff. The meal is excellent – only surpassed by the California Grill meal we had on our last visit. Definitely the best place to eat in the park.
Agree entirely - it is a wonderful restaurant.

Just a pity they have no provisions for guests with wheelchairs,
which is a shame as we would have loved to take MIL & co.,
but had to skip it.
Old 21 Oct 09, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleB
Imagineer

Thanks for a great report! Shame about your nightmare journey home. DH has a WDW Grumpy t-shirt! Youngest DS has a much-loved and nearly worn-out WDW Stitch t-shirt so may have to invest in a new one!

WDW Feb 2007 Bahama Bay
Beach Club/HRH/ Bella Piazza condo Oct 2010 New York April 2012
HRH and OKW August 2014. Boston, White Mts and Maine 2016
Planning for California Sept 2019
MichelleB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 09, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse! You obviously don't have a 3-yr old obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Playhouse Disney then if you don't recongnise that!

Great report - I'm amazed that you didn't die of smoke inhalation and have to have fist fights with everyone in the queues for queue jumping, which is the impression you get from many people!

Reminds us all that DLP is a fantastic place to visit... tempted to go back myself next year!
Old 22 Oct 09, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
msdisneytonian
Imagineer

msdisneytonian's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
thanks for sharing your trip cant wait to get back and live the Magic
msdisneytonian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 09, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
We don't have kids, and I have managed to avoid Mickey Mouse Clubhouse so far! I thought it was just some bizarre French thing.
Old 23 Oct 09, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if we were on Le Pays De Conte Des Fees at the same time as we just got on it and it stopped for a few minutes then carried on.

It was a nightmare getting home for us but eurostar were fantastic and paid for us a black cab from London to Leeds as soon as I went to the desk, I slept all the way through and woke up just as it pulled into our street.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List