Notices

Old 1 May 10, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post

The Five, Four, Three, Two, One Tour

OK, a pre trippy or our forthcoming trip, taking in

5 National Parks
4 states
3 iconic man-made landmarks (OK I'll admit this one's a bit tenuous)
2 cities
1 theme park

Leading actors:

Me - obsessive planner, never been to Vegas or West Coast
DH - previous trip to Las Vegas, Yosemite, Mammoth Lakes & Death Valley

Supporting cast of Vegas experts:

Dave & Rae
Vicky & Sarah
Jackie & Nicky

This is our first trip without our DS who has now left home (although he's agreed to come to Orlando with us next year if we pay for his airline tickets... ). Our friends will already be in Vegas when we get there and we'll spend 4 nights with them before splitting up to go our separate ways. Dave, Rae, Vicky and Sarah are taking a coastal trip, Jackie and Nicky are going back home to their families, and you can see below what we'll be getting up to. We'll join the other four again in Vegas for our last two nights before coming home.

I'm beyond myself with excitement, and I'm hoping I haven't built it up into something it isn't going to be.

Friday 21 May. Train to London, and then another to Gatwick. We'll do the night before check-in then on to the Travelodge (hey, it was only £19 ) for the night.

Saturday 22 May. Fly Virgin Atlantic to Las Vegas (first of the cites and the first state) and arrive about 2.30 pm. We'll get a taxi to Planet Hollywood and then crash out for a couple of hours before meeting our friends for tea and heading off to the Mandalay Bay to see Styx, Foreigner and Kansas. Of course this is insane, but I'm hoping the excitement will keep me from unconsciousness long enough to get back to the room and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Sunday/Monday 23 & 24 May. Follow Vegas experts round, go up Stratosphere tower (one of the man made iconic landmarks ), ride coasters, swim, shop, see impressive hotels, Fremont Street Experience, watch Dave get parted from his money at the black jack tables...

Tuesday 25 May. Pick up hire car (note to self: book hire car or you won't be going anywhere... ) and go to Hoover Dam (2nd iconic structure). Voodoo Lounge at Rio's for cocktails, sunset and to see the Sin City Sinners.

Wednesday 26 May. Up early and drive to Grand Canyon North Rim in Arizona (first National Park, second state). Check in at a motel room in the Lodge and explore.

Thursday 27 May. Up early to see sunrise (probably just me ) then off to Bryce Canyon in Utah (second NP, 3rd state) after breakfast, remembering to put clocks on by an hour. Check in at the Best Western Grand and leave the car in their car park to explore using the park shuttle.

Friday 28 May. Drive to Zion National Park (3rd NP). There is roadwork on the shortest and most scenic route - the Mount Carmel highway - so we may have to go the long way round . Check in at the Zion Canyon B&B in Springdale and use the park shuttle to explore.

Saturday 29 May. Leisurely breakfast before remembering to put clocks back an hour and driving to Las Vegas airport for the 4.30 flight to San Francisco (2nd city and 4th state). Get from the airport to Fisherman's Wharf somehow (another note to self: find out whether I need to book a shuttle in advance) and check in at the Holiday Inn. Explore, eat, sleep...

Sunday/Monday 30& 31 May. Go on evening cruise to Alcatraz, segway tour or hire them in Golden Gate Park, go on a cable car, see Pacific ocean, Golden Gate Bridge (3rd iconic structure) etc. (Note : book Alcatraz, research the segway thing more)

Tuesday 1 June. Pick up hire car early doors (note: book it or else... ) and drive to the Great America Theme park at Santa Clara for coaster fix. Spend day screaming and then drive to somewhere en route for Yosemite (undecided, probably Merced; Note: BOOK IT) just to sleep.

Wednesday 3 June. Yosemite valley (4th NP) all day. Sleep at Cedar Lodge in El Portal.

Thursday 4 June. Drive to Mammoth Lakes. If the Tioga pass is open by some miracle, then it will be a leisurely pootle taking in the sequioas at Tuolumne Meadows, spectacular views and Mono Lake. If it isn't then we'll go via Jonestown and one of the more northerly passes. If the Sonora Pass is open, I won't be too unhappy. When we finally get there, check in at the Mammoth Mountain Inn and look at the stars from the hot tub.

Friday 5 June. Take in Lakes Mary and George before driving to Lone Pine and then on to Furnace Creek Ranch (5th NP!) for the night. Drive out to look at the stars.

Saturday 6 June. See Badwater and then back to Vegas to meet the others at the Excalibur.

Sunday 7 June. As Sunday 23 May!

Monday 8 June. Home on the 4.30pm flight.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 10, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Wow what an amazing trip - and not long to go now! Can't wait to read your trip report.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 10, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post

I have now booked hire cars. If anyone's interested, I got the best rates by a country mile through Netflights.
Old 4 May 10, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Thats a great trip youve got planned!
Old 7 May 10, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by kerryh View Post
Thats a great trip youve got planned!
I know, I'm really excited.

And I've just upgraded from a motel room at the Grand Canyon to one of their basic cabins, which is in a better location for sneaking out to see the sunrise.

Must do ESTA this weekend...
Old 7 May 10, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bardy
Excited about Disney

Mammoth Lakes, one of my most favorite places anywhere!

Bardy - 93 Villa Sarasota; 94 Villa Sunset Lks; 95x2 Villa Sunset & Int Dr; 96, 97 Villa Lk Berkley; 98x2 Villa Sunset & Int Dr; 99, then villas 01; 02x2 Lk Berkley & Hard Rock; 03,04,05,12 Sunset; 06,07,08x2 Formosa; 09 Bridgewater Cr, 10 Cumbrian Lakes; 11+13 Highlands Reserve; 14 Windsor Hills; 15 California + Crescent Lks
Bardy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 10, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Well, almost half way through the trip and it has gone mostly to plan so far! Tioga road will still be closed next week so have opted to spend 2 nights in Hotel Charlotte to be closer to the more northerly passes for our trip to Mammoth. At Las Vegas airport now, on way to San Francisco - plane has just arrived so must dash!

Proper trippy in progress...