Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jan 11, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Recommendations for a telly

I'm looking for a decent 32 inch set. I know I should get one with full HD and 1080p (I've seen cheap sets in Tesco with only 720p), and built in freeview (I don't have/need Sky etc). What other specifications should I be looking for, (e.g. contrast ratio, picture resolution), what sort of budget should I put aside, and which brands would you suggest ?

Thanks

Linda xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 11, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I'm looking for a decent 32 inch set. I know I should get one with full HD and 1080p (I've seen cheap sets in Tesco with only 720p), and built in freeview (I don't have/need Sky etc). What other specifications should I be looking for, (e.g. contrast ratio, picture resolution), what sort of budget should I put aside, and which brands would you suggest ?

Thanks

Linda xx
My advise is to stick with the big boys, Sony Panasonic Toshiba and Sharp. If you get a plasma also get a 5 year warranty. I highly recommend Richer Sounds they know what they are talking about, have amazing prices and a 5 year warranty is only 10% of the TV cost.
This one seems to be the best 32" 100hz, wide viewing angle and has a HD freeview tuner built in.

Edited at 02:13 AM.
Greyfriars is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 11, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
nhyw
Very Serious Dibber

nhyw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10
I recommend PRC Direct in Ilford, so not too far from you, they always seem to have the best prices. You can either collect from store or have the TV delivered. prcdirect

Windsor Hills Retreat Luxury Vacation Home
Located at Windsor Hills Resort, Kissimmee, Florida
www.windsorhillsretreat.com
Luxury 6 Bedroom, 4 Bathroom Home with South Facing Pool, Spa and Games Room
Click here to see our Dibb advert or for more photos see our website
State of Florida Resort Dwelling License no. #DWE5917028
nhyw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 11, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post

We got a 40" Samsung LED which is 1080p just before Christmas, the picture is miles ahead of the Toshiba LCD we had before, but that was 5 years old now.

LED are the current generation slim ones, ours is 2cm deep. LCD and plasma are the previous generation which is why the price is so low at the minute, £500 will get you a 50" plasma or LCD. Plasma is better for fast moving images and LED use far less power.

You can get 40" LED for £500 in the sale.

I'd go for LED first then Plasma 2nd.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 11, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post

I spent ages looking around and online for one, but in the end got in it Currys, TV's seem to be one thing that the DSG group can't be beaten on price with, online wasn't any cheaper.

One thing to watch with richer sounds they often have old models in there.

Also the panels inside are all made by the same people, there are joint ventures with LG-Philips, Samsung (sony did a thing with them ), Sharp, Au Optronics, and Chi Optronics, these companies supply all the main manufacturers with panels, and each other as well. Then they each do their own thing with the engine side of things, so a Sony TV will have another brand panel (often Samsung) but with Sony electronics.
Old 12 Jan 11, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Greyfriars View Post
My advise is to stick with the big boys, Sony Panasonic Toshiba and Sharp. If you get a plasma also get a 5 year warranty. I highly recommend Richer Sounds they know what they are talking about, have amazing prices and a 5 year warranty is only 10% of the TV cost.
This one seems to be the best 32" 100hz, wide viewing angle and has a HD freeview tuner built in.

Thanks for the link, that looks exactly what i want. Pay day next Tues !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 11, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by s66614a View Post
We got a 40" Samsung LED which is 1080p just before Christmas, the picture is miles ahead of the Toshiba LCD we had before, but that was 5 years old now.

LED are the current generation slim ones, ours is 2cm deep. LCD and plasma are the previous generation which is why the price is so low at the minute, £500 will get you a 50" plasma or LCD. Plasma is better for fast moving images and LED use far less power.

You can get 40" LED for £500 in the sale.

I'd go for LED first then Plasma 2nd.

thanks for clarifying it, I don't really have much of a clue about LCD etc.
Old 12 Jan 11, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Try argos they deliver and you get the interest free buy now pay later , they stock all the latest brands and always have something on offer ..just before xmas i got a samsung 40 inch freeview hd set, that also takes movies or music on a memory stick...and its also got an ethernet connection so can be connected to your network and play any downloaded music games ect through its own built in media player ...cost me less than 549
Old 12 Jan 11, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread