Notices

Old 1 May 11, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post

The 'WPNTCITF' Trippie - The (non-) Planning Stages :)

The 'We Promise Not To Compare It To Florida' Trippie 2011

The (Non-) Planning Stages

It’s safe to say that we haven’t done a lot of planning for this trip. In fact, as I begin write this pre-trip report just a week prior to our journey, we’ve done nothing except book the essentials – night-before hotel and car park, flight, TGV train, hotel at DLP and park tickets.

It sounds like a massive excuse just made up on the spot, but we have had tons on with work, and I've got god knows how many football team committee meetings, training sessions and matches to attend. I run two girls junior teams and am communications director of a non-league step five club. There's honestly been hardly any talk between Kim and I about this trip. Ironic for a communications director that communicating about this trip has been hard!

If I am totally honest, the discovery of the new Sky Atlantic HD channel and it's offerings, and the new-found enjoyment of US forensic crime drama Bones from the start of series one on DVD hasn't helped. We are currently on season four, if you are interested. You aren't? Ok, I will move on...

We have a lot to do, and not a lot of time to do it. But I’m not panicking. Mainly because everything that needs doing – money, toiletries, clothing, packing, stressing-out, etc – is Kim’s job. So I have the time to check the camera batteries are charged, wait for the credit card bills to come in, and, more importantly, write this pre-trip report.

This trip actually started in it’s embryonic stages as another jaunt to Florida. After a wonderful trip to Orlando last year (Trippie here!), we began thinking in January about another trip across the pond – possibly for 2012 or 2013.

We did some sums and added up our incomings and subtracted our outgoings. We had even requested a brochure of a villa which was wonderful and a great price. We came very close to putting down a deposit. But the incomings and outgoings didn’t work out in the positive. We could probably afford to save over the next three or four years for a return trip, so next year or the year after was and is out … but after the June 2010 jaunt we needed some more magic, and half a decade or more is too long to wait!

So we started looking at Disneyland Paris. We had both been before, but had very mixed memories. Kim’s only experience of DLP was a one-day trip while at school. She hardly did anything on that trip; a friend she was with wanted to spend the entire day collecting all the character autographs. She did manage a ride on Big Thunder Mountain and a wander around the Alice in Wonderland maze. But, she says, that’s about it.

I’ve been twice before to Paris. My mum, brothers and I went on a coach trip to DLP and Paris itself in 2002 (I think) when we travelled via North Sea Ferries from Hull into Rotterdam and on to Paris. It was a ‘Bonfire Spectacular’ offer over the November 5th weekend.

A long journey, in horrible weather, was made better by the upgrade we received to the Newport Bay Club Hotel when we reached the resort. The weather was terrible and the ‘parc’ not what we expected after four previous family holidays to WDW. To cap it all off, the ‘spectacular fireworks display’ we were hoping to see over the lake by the hotels was cancelled due to high winds. Very disappointing in all honesty, although it was good for mum and sons to visit a Disney park again.

A second trip with just me and my mum was great. She was a last minute stand-in for a girlfriend who decided to annoy me enough to make me take her name off the booking a few weeks prior to departure! We enjoyed the mum-son quality time, and the two parks. We stayed in the Explorers Hotel which was great, but again, it just wasn’t the Disney we knew and loved.

So when Kim and I started looking at DLP, I was quietly cautious. I was keen that we have a good holiday, because after the year we have had, we deserve it that is for sure. I started scouring the DLP forums on the Dibb and listening the the Dibbcast Xtras once over.

James and Mel Roskell have a love and admiration for the Paris ‘parcs’ that just has to be listened to and taken in.

“Don’t compare DLP to WDW.” “It’s for a different market.” “We’ve been 12 times so we are the experts and everyone else is wrong.” I’m sure they are secretly working for Disney!

But their Joseph Goebbels-style propaganda/Alastair Campbell -type spin has worked and we have booked DLP for three nights in May. We searched around to find the best prices, and unfortunately for James and Mel’s secret employers, we found better prices staying offsite and purchasing our park tickets via the internet, than staying at, and booking directly with, DLP itself. As already stated, incomings and outgoings are paramount to our thoughts at the moment! We would have loved to stay onsite and everything that comes with it, but alas it isn’t to be on this trip. Perhaps next year?!

We are set to fly (very) early on May 3rd with BMI out of East Midlands, after a night at a Travelodge near the airport on Bank Holiday Monday. A TGV train and three nights at the partner Kyriad Hotel await us, with park tickets for the four days we will be at the resort already arrived and stowed away safely.

This time, the cats have been told that Auntie Becky will be looking after them for just four days, and up to now Kim is yet to stress out about leaving her ‘babies’ for a few days – unlike the trip last year, which spawned the trip report title… see the link above!

With seven days left before our trip as I write, we have just listened to the Roskell Q&A on April’s Dibbcast Xtra, and we are starting to get in the mood. We are looking forward to many things. Kim, as well as trying to manage more than one headline ride this time, has Tower of Terror top of her list. It’s certainly top of mine aswell, as the ride wasn’t around the last time I went to DLP. I’m also looking forward to Star Tours, Space Mountain and, well, to be honest, everything! It’s a Disney holiday after all… how can you not look forward to any part of it?!

With that in mind, I have read the recent trippies here, and taken in the negative and positive aspects of all. There are certainly a vocal number of negative posters when it comes to DLP. But, in my humble opinion, your holidays are what you yourself make them. If you allow the actions of other cultures, countries and individuals to upset you, you can’t have been focussed on making your holiday the best it could be for you and your family. So that is what we will do – make it the best for ourselves as we possibly can.

If other people are rude, blow smoke in our faces, cut in line, etc, I will continue to enjoy myself without need for recompense. I will do so in the knowledge that even if French/Dutch/German/Spanish/etc families are taught differently, my manners are the correct ones and my parents brought me up proper an that

One thing we are definitely not going to do is compare DLP to WDW. We are heeding the advice given by the Roskells and the others on the DLP boards, and will try to ignore the negative vibes given by others. Hence the trippie title

We are going to experience DLP for what it is and for what it has always meant to be. Our minds are open, and I will be sure to report objectively upon our return.

Apologies for the lack of pics in this PRT. I promise there will be hundreds in the full report!

Thanks for reading! J & K, DisneySeadogs
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 11, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Loved your previous trippie - and this looks set to be another "corker"
Old 1 May 11, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Oooh the pressure! I shall try my best Garry!
Old 1 May 11, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Your "planning" sounds very much like ours!

Really hope you have fun - I accept no responsibility if you don't!

Looking forward to the trippie too

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 11, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lardzilla
Very Serious Dibber

Good stuff matey!

Looking forward to your trippy. Don't want to add any more pressure but your experience will probably be the main basis on whether we ever end up going or not...

Lardzilla vs. Mousera (Oct/Nov 2010)

And my second... woo-hoo it's finished... and not a 'work in progress' anymore...

Lardzilla vs. Mousera 2: Mouse Harder (May 2013)
Lardzilla is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 11, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lardzilla View Post
Looking forward to your trippy. Don't want to add any more pressure but your experience will probably be the main basis on whether we ever end up going or not...

Lardzilla ... To Paris? Right then, I promise to be even more honest, objective and in depth - just for the Lardy clan!

Either that or I might just lie to make you go anyway.

Mel ... I won't hold you personally responsible. That James however ...
Old 2 May 11, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
The best DLP non-planning trippie I have read today.

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 11, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ooh sounds like it's going to be a cracker! I'm off to read your last Orlando one while you (ahem) finish this on ?

xx
Old 10 Aug 11, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Gill ... thanks for the reminder to get a move on with the DLP trippie! It will be up soon I promise!
Old 4 Mar 12, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
princess lola
Excited about Disney

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 52
Your planning style is just like ours ! i feel better knowing i'm not the only one!

Having visited WDW and DLP both more than a few times i agree they are not to be compared, they're both a different kind of disney!

We went to DLP last August and i have to admit we were also a little bit skeptical but we enjoyed it so much we have booked again to go this July!

Also what a fabulous time to visit! just in time for the 20th celebrations! Can't wait to read the full report !

princess lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List