Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jun 05, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Baggie Bird
Imagineer

Silloth/Lake District

Hi everyone

I am going for a long weekend and staying in a place called Silloth which is approx 20 miles from Keswick in the Lakes.

Anyone got any recommendations on what to see and do whilst I am there. I am going with my Dad who is 59 but doesn't do much exercise however, he does like walking and seeing the sights.

Any help would be appreciated.

1999 Villa Davenport Lakes, 2001 Villa Windsor Palms
2003 with friends in LBV 2005/2006, 2007 Villa Southern Dunes, 2008 Villa Greater Groves, 2009 Bally's Vegas Villa - Hampton Lakes, 2010 Blue Heron Beach Resort, 2011 Dibb Townhouse Regal Palms 2015 Heron Villa High Grove
Baggie Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 05, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Baggie Bird,

There's not much to do in Silloth itself apart from a walk along the sea front.

Keswick is a great place to visit and you could spend a day there. There's also theatre by the lake which would be a nice place to spend an evening if there's antything on.

About 20 mins from Keswick (just off J40 of M6) is Rheged which is a great place to spend a couple of hours.

It really depends how far you want to travel away from Silloth as a bit further away theres Grasmere, Ambleside - I could go on.

If you give me an idea of the type of things you enjoy doing and how far you'd be willing to travel (if at all) then I could give you a better idea.

Cheers,

Paul
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 05, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Baggie Bird
Imagineer

Thanks for coming back with some info Paul.

I will be driving so I don't mind going somewhere else - say about an hours drive away.

I like walking and seeing the sights. It will be me and my Dad and he also likes being out and about and seeing things.

Just visiting places etc is up our street. I am hoping of course that the weather is ok to be able to do these outdoor things.

Anything particular about Rheged I should know.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paula

2003 with friends in LBV 2005/2006, 2007 Villa Southern Dunes, 2008 Villa Greater Groves, 2009 Bally's Vegas Villa - Hampton Lakes, 2010 Blue Heron Beach Resort, 2011 Dibb Townhouse Regal Palms 2015 Heron Villa High Grove
Baggie Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 05, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Paula,

My suggestions would be a day in Carlisle where you can visit the Castle, Cathedral, Tullie House Museum, Town Hall, Lanes Shopping Centre and there's lovely walks down by the river. There's also plenty of nice restaurants etc for meals.

Also a day in Keswick would be nice. Plenty of shops etc and there's the theatre theatrebythelake as well as walks by the lake and crusie boats to go on.

Slightly further away is Ambleside which is also a great place to visit with plenty of things to do, massive garden centre, stars of the cars museum which is really good to name but a few.

Another possibility is Gretna Green, 9 miles north of Carlisle just over th border in Scotland. There's the world famous wedding chapel, a factory outlet retail park and a market on Sundays.

Give me a shout if you need any further info.

Paul
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 05, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Baggie Bird
Imagineer

Thanks for that Paul - that all looks quite good.

We travel up on Friday and have Saturday and Sunday and then travel back on Monday so I am sure that we can do most of what you have suggested.

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

Paula

Old 14 Jun 05, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread