Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jul 05, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Travelex question

Does anyone know how much currency you can buy at the airport Travelex counters without ordering it in advance? Also, are they open all the time?

I want to get about £500 in Euros when we get to Liverpool airport next Wednesday morning for a 7.20am flight.

I know I could pre-order, but it's not payday until Wednesday and I wanted to avoid transferring from savings account unless absolutely necessary.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 05, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post

You should be okay for that amount in euros, most foreign exchange places stock a high amount of dollars and euros as they are most popular currencies.

Although, when you order in advance from the travelex website, you don't actual pay anything in advance. You just reserve the amount you want and then pick it up from the airport of your choice.
Old 21 Jul 05, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by ukdiva
You should be okay for that amount in euros, most foreign exchange places stock a high amount of dollars and euros as they are most popular currencies.

Although, when you order in advance from the travelex website, you don't actual pay anything in advance. You just reserve the amount you want and then pick it up from the airport of your choice.
Unfortunately you pay at the time of ordering. I've just read the small print.

Thanks for the info!
Old 21 Jul 05, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh really? I always thought you could just reserve and pay on the day! *lol* Sorry!
Old 21 Jul 05, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by ukdiva
Oh really? I always thought you could just reserve and pay on the day! *lol* Sorry!
Yeah, you had me all excited for a minute LOL
Old 21 Jul 05, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm sure you will ok to get £500 of Euros, but the rate at the airport is quite a bit less than the rate you would get it you pre-ordered it. You may be better to change most of it when you get there.

Yours
DANIEL
Old 21 Jul 05, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post

How can I find out what the going rate is at a travelex counter? May be worth doing the money movement thing if it saves a reasonable amount.
Old 21 Jul 05, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by edie_w
How can I find out what the going rate is at a travelex counter? May be worth doing the money movement thing if it saves a reasonable amount.
The Airport governs the rates so that all the Exchange Bureaus have the same rate, this will obviously fluctuate all the time but I think it's about the same or slightly worse than the tourist rate you would get at a high street bank.
If the Travelex website has a contact telephone number they may be able to advise you of the typical difference.

Yours
DANIEL
Old 22 Jul 05, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post

edie w
Whatever you do change your money before you leave. Barcelona like other cities is expensive to change money. In resorts there is no cartel and you can often get a better rate than in the UK. Not so cities. Most of the banks will charge a flat fee and a %. The change booths are scammers who have a list of rates with a good rate headlined. If you read it carefully (and often it is not in English) you will see that to get that 'good ' rate You will need to change a large amount £5K or more.

Ken
Old 22 Jul 05, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks all!
Closed Thread