Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jul 05, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
donnakirby
Apprentice Imagineer

donnakirby's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
california

hi

thinking about going to california - maybe next year.

i am a bit stuck as to where the best place is to stay.

we would be wanting to go to

disney

universal

sixflags magic mountain and also the waterpark

legoland

san diego zoo

san diego seaworld.

and also to knottsberry farm.

any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.

we thought about staying in ANAHEIM but it looks a long way from all the other parks other than disney.

anyone know the best time to visit.

thanks
Old 25 Jul 05, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hello,

We visited in 2003

We stayed in San Diego at the Holiday Inn which had spectalcular views over the bay, we also went whale watching and made a 45 minute train journey to Mexico into Tijuana. Sea World was great.

Then we drove to Anahiem, bit of a built up disapointment; so only spend as much time here as you really need to, the plus side is you can walk into Disney from the street, it's not spread out like WDW.

Next we drove to Hollywood, stayed one night. The best bit was driving to santa monica and then down the 101 to Longbeach.

We visited end of march to april, the weather was great.

I will dig out some info for you if you like, I think i may even have a book on san Diego that you can have.

Aly
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 05, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post

I would agree with Alyson that you need stay several places to get the best experience. We plan to go May/June next year and my outline plan so far is:

7 Nights near San Diego (not been here before)
3 nights Anaheim (been before)
2 nights Yosemite (been before)
3 nights Lake Tahoe (not been before)
2 nights on coast, probably Pismo Beach

We have friends in LA that we want to see but don't want to spend too long there this time. We plan to ask them to come to either San Diego or Lake Tahoe with us.

Kitty
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 05, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Yes multicenter is the way to go out West. We prefer staying on the coast when visiting the theme parks in LA. To give you an idea of our experience my trippies from 2003 are linked to my signature.
Claire
Old 26 Jul 05, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I would say have a look at the Disney hotels in Anaheim. We got annual passholder rate which was amazingly good. AP's are not that much more than a hopper pass.

Then for six flags and Universal stay somewhere up near Hollywood. It is surprising just how far Anaheim is to Hollywood especially on the terrible highways that are full of traffic. It took about an hour to an hour an a half to travel to those places! Cannot recommend a hotel tho sorry !

Not sure about the other places !

Denise x
Old 26 Jul 05, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post

We have stayed at the Radisson Maingate and also the Hyatt Regency Orange County in Anaheim and they are both nice hotels though the Hyatt is of a higher standard though both are very clean and the staff very nice.
We base ourselves in Anaheim and use Coach USA to go to different places as I don't drive.There are other companies as well and we always ask the concierge how to get around rather than booking any trips with Virgin.
Love Rio
Old 26 Jul 05, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post

We tend to move around a lot and only spend a couple of days in each place. California is so big and there's so much to see that we try and cram in as many places as poss but if we do find somewhere that we really like we go back the next year and stay a bit longer (like San Diego which is a really nice place).

I tend to book a best western as the first hotel and pick up a California map while we there (their maps show all of the best westerns in CA and Nevada - always handy to have in case you get stuck). When we have decided where we are moving on to, I then use the internet at that hotel to book the next one, btw i only use the internet because you tend to get a cheaper rate than just walking in. It might sound a bit scary not knowing where you will be staying but we think it just adds to the excitement (weird I know). And there are plenty of places to stay so don't panick that you won't be able to find anywhere.
Old 26 Jul 05, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread