Notices

Old 20 Jan 13, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Le week-end prolongé d'anniversaire

It's Darrin's birthday (my OH) at the end of April and for a change we thought we would actually do the City of Paris. It's been a while since we were there. I seem to recall a black sky, one January morning, as we stood on the parapet at Notre Dame Cathedral doing our Quasimodo impersonations. It was a foul weekend. We had tried for Disneyland Paris - foolish mortals - as the Ghost Host would say. Having had a morning where the wind howled around the newsagent's store at Marne la Vallée / Chessy station and having stood for well over an hour in more howling wind at Space Mountain we had finally given up and taking the RER A line back into the city where we retreated to our hotel room for some warmth from the harsh winter's day.

Paris in the spring can be delightful. When the horse chestnuts are in bloom with their candelabra shaped flowers and the sun dances on the Seine's rolling waters it's a wonderful place to be. Our hotel - the Hotel Design Secret de Paris will be the in the Liege area:

The Eiffel room:

It's a boutique type place and the rooms are decorated in various styles reflecting the vibrancy of this great city.

We want to try a few new things whilst in Paris. One will be a visit to the Opera Garnier. Whilst I have strutted down the staircase in the foyer in the style of the Phantom of the Opera, I have never visited the auditorium so that's one on the list. The other is to see the new attraction called Paris Story which is actually not that far from the Opera House.
A holographic Victor Hugo takes on a tour of Paris' history- remember the Timekeeper at Disneyland Paris ? - Well, it's similar.
There's a couple of bars we want to visit if we can. They are not where tourists go. You are more likely to find les hommes d'affaires (businessmen) in these hostelries.

Then there is Chartier - a secret we found some years ago. This retaurant was built for workers at the turn of the 20th century. Imagine Cafe René (Allo! Allo!) on a larger scale. One critic wrote: "the room has glass ceilings and mouldings. Tall mirrors accentuate the perspective, as a staircase climbs up to another room where you might find a free place left to sit. Little wooden chairs surrounding tables firmly anchored on the ground with their cast-iron feet. Glossed copper and wood everywhere warm the clients."
Great white opaque balls hang from the ceiling and waiters in black waistcoats and long white aprons take your order. The table "cloth" is white paper and this will eventually become your bill. As each course you order is served the waiter scribbles the price in pencil on the tablecloth. The food is simple but filling and the service is like lightning. One waiter has worked there over 45 years. The do a fixed price menu but you can also eat a la carte. The restaurant is hidden away in a courtyard and you need to know where to find it.

And why have I put this pre trip report here? Well, yes, we will be having a day at the Disney parks. Which day will depend on the weather. We have already got our Paris Visite tickets (these get you all round Paris on Metro, bus and tram and we got the Zones 1 to 5 on them which will include a ride out to the Mouse. Also the Paris Visite gives many discounts at Parisienne attractions and at Disney you get 20% off the price of a one day / two parks tickets.

So all in all a packed, extended weekend.

Edited at 08:36 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 13, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mmm, Chartier!

The bistro at the end of 'Ratatouille' always reminds me of that place.

Wish we could stow away in your suitcase...
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 13, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Mmm, Chartier!

The bistro at the end of 'Ratatouille' always reminds me of that place.

Wish we could stow away in your suitcase...

I'll see what I can do Gill.
Old 1 May 13, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Just to say this is now in the Non Florida Trip reports.
Old 1 May 13, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi there

I have googled Chartier and have come up with a restaurant in 7 rue du Fauboug Montmartre is this the one, called Bouillon Chartier?

We go to Paris in July would love to make a visit for dinner sounds wonderful, have I got the right one? Many thanks
Lovesholidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List