Notices

Old 2 Mar 13, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
pammiep
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Paterson posse on tour

So this is my first ever attempt at a pre-trippie. I'm hoping that anyone reading this has lots of words of wisdom for us as this is our first family trip to the West Coast.

Our little posse consists of myself, hubby and soon to be 21 year old Son. We've been to Orlando loads of times and love all things American especially the food and the sport. We are huge NBA fans and watch baseball (go Tigers) and NFL religiously as well as college sports.

Years ago we promised our Bug (a family nickname for the son) that we would take him to Vegas for his 21st. That's how this trip has come about - that and my husband's love of trees. Hubby and I have always wanted to visit Yosemite and other National Parks in the West so we are now dong a 3 week road trip starting in San Francisco and finishing up in Phoenix.

I'd like to say it has been years in the planning but in all reality it's ended up being a bit of a rush to get things booked. I fact we've still not booked all the hotels we need to. In summer of last year we bought a cottage that needed a lot of work doing to it so I've been trying to sort that out whilst trying to plan this holiday. To be honest I'm not sure what's nomore stressful. Thanks to Suei I had some really good places to start looking for hotels and flights and thanks to Jude (don't know what her username is now) I used Kayak to keep an eye on flight prices.

Having heard some horror stories about terminal 5 we decided to fly via Amsterdam with KLM and Delta. Having flown both airlines both in Europe and internally in USA, I had no qualms about booking these flights. We fly on Tuesday 28 May Edinburgh-Amsterdam-San Francisco arriving at 11.45am. We're staying at the Serrano in San Francisco for 3 nights. The hotel looked really quirky which will suit us fine. Plans for this part of the holiday include Alcatraz (night tour) and the Giants v Athletics baseball game a bit of sightseeing and shopping to top it off.

Having picked up the hire car in Union Square (int SUV) on Friday 31 May we head to Yosemite for 3 nights. We've booked Cedar Lodge in El Portal but I'm checking daily for cancellations for lodgings in the park itself. We'll be doing the usual hiking, cycling activities including a trip to Mariposa Grove to look at the trees. We won't know if Tioga Pass will be open or not so can't book our next night's accommodation til closer to the time.

We arrive in Vegas on 4 June staying at Caesars Palace. Bug is 21 on the 5th and this was his choice of hotel. Him and hubby are planning to jump of the Stratosphere and fire some guns when we're there. Other than that we have no solid plans for the 3 days we are there.

From here we move onto Zion NP for 2 nights staying at Bumbleberry Hotel. We are planning to do the Narrows river walk and other site seeing whilst there. After 2 nights here, it's off to Bryce Canyon for one night staying at Ruby's Inn. Hopefully we'll be able to walk down on the canyon floor to see the hoodoos from that angle.

Next is the part I'm looking forward to most, 2 nights at The View at Monument Valley. We'll be doing the Navajo spirit trail and can't wait for the views at sunset and sunrise. Oh and the drive towards the mesas and buttes.

On 12 June we move onto Lake Powell staying at the Best Western Plus. We're hoping to do the Colorado river tour (half day) and visit either or both the Antelope canyons. Horseshoe bend is walking distance from the hotel so we'll have a wee stroll there as well.

After 2 nights there we're off to the Grand Canyon staying at Yavapai lodge. Again the plan is lots of walking and sight seeing. The lodge is about half a mile from the rim edge so there'll be a perfect opportunity for some sunset photos. We' re staying for 2 nights taking us up to the 16th.

The next part isn't set in stone yet due to my not having booked hotels. The plan is to stay in Sedona or around there before heading to Phoenix. We re hoping to see another baseball game on the 18th - Diamondbacks v Marlins before we leave on the 19th. We are flying via Detroit as I sleep so much better if I get on the plane when it's dark outside. I suppose my body thinks its bedtime so I find it easier to drop off.

We arrive back in Edinburgh on 20 June at 12.50pm.

Sorry to have droned on but there seems to be a lot to fit in.

Pamela
pammiep is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 13, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Trip sounds fab looking forward to reading more! Sounds like an amazing 21st!
Old 26 Mar 13, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds fab! I've been to most of the places you are visiting and you're in for a wonderful time, Sedona is beautiful, we stayed at the Best Western Arroyo Roble, lovely hotel, Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 13, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
pammiep
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
So we are just over 3 weeks til D day and I booked the last hotel today.

This is the final list of hotels and car hire. Hopefully it can be off help to others trying to book this sort of trip. We're not fussy people with regards hotels or restaurants so some of those booked are basic but this has been evened out with a few expensive hotels that were non negotiable

On our arrival in San Francisco we book into the Serrano Hotel (Kimpton group) which is near Union Square. This was booked in a sale for £305 for 3 nights (3 adults).

We then move onto Yosemite again for 3 nights where we will be staying at Cedar Lodge in El Portal. There was no accommodation left in the park when I booked. This hotel was booked through booking.com for £323.

Thanks to Tioga Pass opening on May 11 we can head to Las Vegas on the east side of Yosemite. Lone Pine appears to be kind of in the middle of this part of the trip so I booked the Comfort Inn today for £82 for the night and this includes continental breakfast. This was booked through last minute.com.

The main reason for this trip is to celebrate my Son's 21st birthday so he chose Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. Booking.com came up with the best price at £300 for 3 nights. I don't know what tower the room is in so I'm going to try the $20 trick for an upgrade.

After 3 nights in Vegas we move onto the Bumbleberry Hotel in Springdale for our 2 nights visit to Zion. This cost £145 again booked through booking.com.

From here we go to Bryce Canyon where we're staying at Best Western Plus Ruby's Inn for one night. This was about the only hotel with a room so it was booked for $155 again through booking.com.

Now for the expensive part. I was adamant that I wanted to stay at The View in Monument Valley so this is my treat at $560 for 2 nights booked directly through the hotel.

We move onto Page for another 2 night where we are staying at Best Western Plus Lake Powell. We get breakfast here and I paid £205 through Expedia.

The Grand Canyon is our next stop and we managed to get a room in Yavapai Lodge which is about 1/4 mile from the rim so hoping for good photo opportunities at sunset and sunrise. This had to be booked through the NPS site and cost $360 for 2 nights.

It's on to Sedona from here for one night and we're staying at the Desert Quail Inn. Booking.com again came up with the best price at $89.

Our last stop is Phoenix Condos in Phoenix. This place is like Cypress Point Grandevillas that we stay in in Orlando so it was a no brainer for us. A 2 bedroom condo was $189 for 2 nights

Not all of these hotels were our first choice but because I'd left it too late to book, we had to chose different hotels.

Our car hire was booked through Rentalcars.com. We've booked a Jeep Liberty for 19 days picking up at Dollar, O'Farrell Street, San Francisco and dropping off at Phoenix International airport for £383. We have to pay for fuel up front and take it back empty but get an additional driver for free.

Hope this helps.

Pamela
pammiep is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 13, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TracyW
Imagineer

Wow, that's some trip! Looks great

Amerihost Resort 2002, ASMovies May/June 2004, AKL 7/8 June 2004, ASMovies April 2006, DLRP Explorers Hotel Nov 2006, CB Aug 2008, Sequoia Lodge DLRP Aug 2009, POR Oct 2011, West Coast 2013, POR 2015, AMI 2015, DLC 2017, POR 2023
TracyW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List