Notices

Old 27 Oct 13, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Rea
Very Serious Dibber

Not quite what we'd planned but here goes

Our original plan was to go to Florida in the new year. Last year was a terrible year. We had a miserable Christmas. Hubby had a broken jaw, ill health and our dear grandson was being tested for cystic fibrosis and lots of other health issues.

Fast forward to this year and hubby had a heart attack. Still we plodded on, had all 5 members of the family in or going to and from hospital and we've 4 out of 5 of us havebeen to theatre in the past 12 months...

If anybody needed a trip to a fantasyworld and magical destination we did. So we started planning our trip. Yes we had had the all clear to travel from all the medical consultants.

The plans were made, the flights were checked, the prices were looked at and the decisions were made... We'd chosen a villa, we'd decided where we were buying tickets and the itinerary was planned...

And then we received some terrible news. Hubby got called back into hospital and was told that they'd taken another look at his latest heart scan. To cut a very long story short. He has a huge blockage in his heart that is just short of in-operable. He can take the risk of surgery but it's only a 50/50 chance of survival.

Whilst he's been ill for a number of years it was still a great shock.

And so our plans for Florida folded...

In the past month, we spent a week where I was in theatre on the Wednesday, hubby was in hospital (different one) on the Thursday and daughter was in a different hospital on the Friday... and the bad news just seemed not only to pour in but overflow

So... we or I decided we need something to look forward to.

Our grandson's birthday is New Year's Eve and whilst I can't arrange for our trip to cover this day, a few days later I've booked us in at Disneyland Paris. He's not aware of the trip yet. I'm hoping for some ideas how to tell him at Christmas.

We are planning an overnight stay in Ashford and the following morning we will take the Eurostar directly to DLP. I've arranged for a birthday cake for our grandson. We did this quite a few years back for our son's birthday and it's one of my fondest memories. Any suggestions for the best venue to receive the cake will be gratefully received.

I'd like to have a trip in to Paris but we can't walk far so any suggestions for people with disabilities will be more than welcome especially if anyone has experience of this.

It's been ten years since we visited DLP having gone to Florida on and off for the last eight years.

Has anybody used their Disabled Parking Permit for a special assistance card? Again would appreciate feedback if they have.

We have character breakfasts planned and we are planning on dining at Walts and Blue Lagoon. Having not visited for the past ten years I'm guessing the menus will have changed but the quality of the food used to be quite good so hopefully it will be similar now to back then. Any other restaurants suggestions are again welcome.

Everything's a bit higgledy piggledy at the moment but I'm hoping to fine tune everything later.
Old 27 Oct 13, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Hi

I am so sorry to hear about everyone's ill health that must be so stressful for you. But what a wonderful way to escape it all and create some fab memories for your grandson.

I can't really help with disability access but just wanted to say hi and I hope you have a fantastic time!

Gemma xx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 13, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Rea
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you Gemma
Old 29 Oct 13, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
neverbeen
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
If you're staying on-site then you will already have breakfast included so I would recommend spending your money elsewhere and maybe do character lunch or dinner instead - TBH the food at the character breakfast at Café Mickey isn't any different to what you'll get at your hotel. Definitely request an assistance card. When we've taken my nan in the past we never had a card but still got great service from CMs and were always shown straight to the wheelchair areas etc, (this was before we even realised you could get the cards).
You don't mention how old your grandson is, but I'd say maybe Blue Lagoon would be a good spot for a special meal and the cake - right in the Pirates ride and a really lovely location.
Hope you have fun planning and your health issues don't cause too many problems with your hols.
xx

Jun02 DLP Hotel Cheyenne *Nov04 DLP Explorers *Feb06 DLP Explorers *July/Aug12 WDW Highlands Reserve *Jul13 DLP Adagio *Dec13 DLP Cheyenne *Jul14 DLP Kyriad *Dec16 DLP Santa Fe *Aug18 DLP Adagio *Dec18 DLP Adagio Jun19 DLP *Aug22 DLP Sequoia Lodge *Dec22 DLP Adagio
neverbeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 13, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Rea
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you Kirsty. I'm going to try for a Guest Assistance card. We've used them in Florida but never in Paris. It will be handy as my grandson has medical problems as well as my husband. Not sure if we should get a letter from the GP or whether the Disabled Badge will be enough proof.