Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 101
The one in which we go as a family

For this pre-trippie I would like to take you back in time, to a time long forgotten, known as 2011, the year before the Olympics.

My best friend (a fellow Dibber) and I had been talking for many years about taking a trip to DLP together, finally we reached a place in time when this was actually going to become a reality, so we promptly booked 4 nights at the Newport Bay for February half term 2012 for both of us and our DD’s both aged 11. Now we just had to wait a whole year…..as you’ll know in ‘holiday years’, that’s a long time….

But before we knew it, Xmas was done and dusted, the chocolate and cheese had been consumed, drink had been drunk over New Year and we only had to wait a few more weeks.

Then the big day arrived, bright and warm….ok I lie, it had been snowing in the UK and even on the sunny south coast it was a bit nippy. The plan was to rendezvous at her house the Sunday night before we travelled to DLP to drive to Ashford and stay the night in the Ashford North Premier Inn. This is where the story becomes interesting, because no more than 5 minutes before we arrived at her house, my DS then aged just 18mths, emptied the contents of his tummy all over the car seat. Despite my best efforts to avoid this unwelcome guest Norovirus had arrived at the Paisley-Lohan household. Now, DS and OH were not joining us on this trip as previously mentioned, this was a girls only trip. This meant that OH was dispatched back home to continue to clear up the unmentionable and we hit the road….accompanied by the biggest suitcase full of mothers guilt at leaving her poor, sick son without his Mama.

So what had been planned as a muchly anticipated once in a lifetime girl’s trip to DLP had now had the edge taken off it somewhat by that darn stomach bug. Rather than OH happily taking DS to crèche each day, and only have the minimum Daddy duties, getting him up and putting him to bed he was now housebound and clearing up…..every half an hour…..day and night. I felt awful. The guilt wouldn’t leave me, and as much as I tried I couldn’t fully immerse myself in the Disney magic.

Think it can’t get any worse….? You’re wrong. On our second full day at DLP DD announces at breakfast ‘I feel sick…!’ we dash to the loo where the inevitable takes place. She and I spent all day in our room, and I slowly turned mad watching never ending episodes of American teen tosh on the Disney Channel. Why they don’t show Disney movies on the Disney channel I don’t know.

At one point I was to be found sobbing in the bathroom (so as not to disturb DD who was asleep) down the phone to OH. It was at this point that he assured me this would not be the last time we got the DLP, we would go again, and this time it would be as a family, and like every good woman I have held him to this promise ever since.

June 2013

I had been feeling the Disney withdrawal symptoms quite significantly over the previous few months, pretty much since the anniversary of our trip in 2012, watching the holiday DVD and flipping through the album has only heightened these symptoms somewhat, plus remember what OH promised. So this lead to Bestie and I chatting about how we could maybe go together again, but with all the family.

This idea was put to the respective OH’s who both agreed that this sounded like a plan, so planning away we discussed dates and roughly agreed that Oct 2014 would be a good time for us all in terms of saving, and it being a school holiday. I put this to my OH and was met with ‘oh….that’s quite a long time away…’ now OH is not known for his impatience, he is in fact the most excruciatingly patient person I know, and whilst I flap and get excited and can’t wait for things to happen, he goes with the flow and doesn’t show any excitement whatsoever, so this was not the reaction I was expecting. It turns out that he thinks DS, now aged 3, is prime Disney age (I’m hesitant, I’ll explain why later) given that he will watch Cars/Toy Story/Nemo/Tigger Movie/Jungle Book on repeat until you think would think he’s had enough…..then he’ll watch them again.

So, I was tasked with pricing up something sooner, but it had to be cost effective, now I LOVE this kind of challenge and would quite happily spend all day every day pricing up holidays I may never take! So to finally have the chance to price up a holiday we might actually go on was very exciting…..so I set to it. I started by pricing up school holidays….ouch!

Then looking at different accommodation, but always on site….I’m sorry, but I just can’t bring myself to stay off-site. Then I considered the option of taking DD, 12, out of school for a few days, a quick call was made to school and under the assurance that this would most likely be approved I started the process again and struck gold.

So, I before you all start shouting at me to get to the point I shall introduce you to the cast members, and then I shall detail the plan:

Me!

Rachel, this will be my 4th trip. Late comer to Disney, first time to DLP was in 2005 with DD, then 4. I was won over on our very first trip when I saw her eyes fill up at the sight of Sleeping Beauty’s
Castle, I’ve never been to WDW….one day I will go to WDW. I’m also a HUGE Center Parcs fan (you’ll know this if you’ve seen my other threads) and try to get there every year….try being the operative word. I love planning holidays and feel quite lost without one booked to plan for.

OH

Hugh, went to DLP just after it first opened over 20 years ago, Studio’s didn’t even exist back then, so he has no idea what he has let himself in for. Loves to ski, and tries to go every year, much to my
bank balances dismay.

DD

Chloe, 12. This will also be her 4th trip also. Stuck at that in-betweeny stage of not quite a teenager but not quite a child. Has no idea we are going to DLP, doesn’t know it’s booked, doesn’t know she’ll be skipping school (legally). Collects snow globes, preferably Disney.

DS

Gerard, 3. Disney addict at this tender age, we’ve done well. First-timer to DLP. Quite stubborn with a mind of his own, affectionately known as a ‘Trouble’, hates queuing – this is where my hesitation lies.

The Plan

Tuesday 26th November

After school/crèche we load up the car and travel to Ashford North Premier Inn as is tradition, to stay the night before we travel. Dinner in the adjacent Beefeater, yummy!

Wednesday 27th November

Arrive at Ashford International in time for a bacon sarnie and to soak up the atmosphere with other Disney bound travellers, pick up our Disney packs…..get on the Eurostar. Travel to Disney, distracting ‘Trouble’, sorry Gerard with Disney paraphernalia on the iPad.

Arrive at Marne Le Vallee and drop our bags with Disney Express to be taken by horse and coach to the Cheyenne.

Get into the park! Stand and look with awe at the castle, have a little cry (me obviously!), feel like we have come home, go and have some fun, starting with IASW…yeah yeah ok, but it’s tradition!

We then stay for 4 nts/5 days at the Cheyenne.

Thoughts on dining so far revolve around buffets being the best option because Gerard isn’t good at sitting still for any length of time! So I’m thinking as follows:

Wednesday – Chuck Wagon at the Cheyenne
Thursday – Agrabah or Plaza Gardens
Friday - Restaurant Des Stars
Saturday – Inventions….still working on the OH for this one
Sunday – counter service somewhere in the Disneyland Park before heading home

The Big Reveal

Over the past few months I’ve been working hard on how to do ‘The Big Reveal’ and after many suggestions from kind Dibbers have come up with the following. Each child will receive an early Christmas present….this will contain a backpack (Mickey for Gerard and Minnie for Chloe), within each backpack is a Disney sweatshirt, a colouring book and set of pencils, a pair of Disney PJ’s, a magazine and the best bit….personalised autograph books.

I’m so excited I’m like a big kid!

A little bit extra…

I had to add this on, just to gain some sympathy more than anything else but as you’ll know from the beginning of this trippie (which probably seems a long time ago since you read it) on our last trip we were hit by Norovirus. Well on our holiday to Center Parcs in August we were struck again, I was devastated but determined not to let it ruin our holiday. So I’m now pretty much on edge permanently and am convinced that it is going to happen again, and despite being really excited about this holiday, a little part of me is warning me not to get too excited because it’ll be sods law that we’ll get it again…but I must try not to think like that but be prepared for it, just in case.

The End
So folks, that’s your lot! I’m going to try to do a trip report on our return, as long as I remember to note down each day what we got up to

P.S. Fear not Bestie and I will be going to DLP together again to drink several more of these

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me Goofy.jpg
Views:	4965
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	52155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hugh.jpg
Views:	4960
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	52156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chloe Hot Choc.jpg
Views:	4957
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	52157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerard and Tigger2.jpg
Views:	4952
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	52159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anna and Me.jpg
Views:	8014
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	52160  

Edited at 04:12 PM.
Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 13, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Tribal_Tiger
Excited about Disney

Loved it making me even more excited lol. We will see you all at breakfast
Cat x
Tribal_Tiger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 13, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Morning Rachel

I can see why you Are worried two holidays spoiled by sickness

Try not to stress about it to much or you will make your self ill.
Here some

To keep you safe.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned
Only 3 weeks, how many hat picks do you think you will take in this trip lol
Rachael x

Edited at 12:39 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 13, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post

So glad you're going back as a family x Sure Gerard will be fine, Archie is and he's terrible at queuing but he copes in DLP (sometimes better than me).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 13, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Hi,

Sounds like an amazing trip you have planned.

I am sure it will be a super healthy trip for you all with lots of amazing memories!

Gemma xx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 13, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Tribal_Tiger View Post
Loved it making me even more excited lol. We will see you all at breakfast
Cat x
I can't wait!

Twitter - @rpaisley79 / Instagram - rachelpaisley79

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Click here for my Disneyland Paris Trip Reports
Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 13, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by twindisney View Post
Morning Rachel

I can see why you Are worried two holidays spoiled by sickness

Try not to stress about it to much or you will make your self ill.
Here some

To keep you safe.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned
Only 3 weeks, how many hat picks do you think you will take in this trip lol
Rachael x
Thank you Rachael, I cannot tell you how much it will mean to get through this holiday sickness free! But I daren't get my hopes up, it's horrible feeling like this

I intend to get many more hat photos, it feels like a challenge now

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Old 6 Nov 13, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Disney mum View Post
So glad you're going back as a family x Sure Gerard will be fine, Archie is and he's terrible at queuing but he copes in DLP (sometimes better than me).
That's really good to hear he has good days and bad days so hopefully he'll have a few good days in a row...but failing that I've had a strong word with myself not to get stressed our by it and go with the flow

Old 6 Nov 13, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by gtyrel10 View Post
Hi,

Sounds like an amazing trip you have planned.

I am sure it will be a super healthy trip for you all with lots of amazing memories!

Gemma xx
Ah, thank you

Old 8 Nov 13, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Blondie1979
VIP Dibber

Blondie1979's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 30
Hey Bestie!

Fabulous start to your trip report, I especially like the last photo!

I know how worried you are about being struck by illness again but I'm pretty confident that this trip is meant to be for you all... you are going to have a blast!
I am excited for Gerard to be going on his first Disney trip and I know that if he is anything like us we've just recruited another Disney Geek!

I do now feel however that I should be following in your footsteps and creating my own trip report for next July's trip to WDW as I've never had the courage to do one before now, I just don't think I'm that interesting! DH did start a video trip report for our last years trip to the mouse but illness got in the way of that so perhaps next year is the year for me

Anyway... well done on a fab start and keep the anti bacterial gel to hand!

Anna xxx