Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Feb 06, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Essential baby items?

We had some lovely news a couple of weeks back - a couple who are really good friends of ours had been trying for a baby for two years and after finally seeking medical advice, had been told there was no way without IVF - anyway, several months into the waiting list, guess what? Yep - their first baby is due in July, with no medical intervention at all Thrilled dosn't begin to describe the reaction, as you can imagine.

So they have visited today, and Tammy asked me to list 3 things we had that I wouldn't be without whilst pregnant/during the first few months after baby arrives - not the essentials like nappies, etc, just items that you would get if you had to choose extras. I plumped for the big V shaped cushion that was so useful not only for nursing comfortably, but was a Godsend in enabling me to get comfy in bed during the last couple of months. Then I listed the ceiling fan we had fitted in the bedroom - great for the hot summer nights and stopped me worrying about baby getting too hot. And finally, for Katie, we bought one of the baby monitors that have a pad that goes under the baby that has an alarm if baby dosn't breath for a few seconds - I don't know a new parent who isn't totally paranoid about cot death, and the peace of mind this monitor gave us as opposed to the 'ordinary' monitors that just pick up sound, was fantastic.

So I wondered - because I know Tammy will be back asking for more tips (not surprisingly, she can't think/talk about anything else at the moment - its so lovely to see her like this, lol) - what items did other Dibber parents find invaluable, and why?

Love Suexx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 06, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post

I treated myself to a rocking chair during my first pregnancy. It was a real treat for relaxing in the last months of pregnancy and then nursing my babies and I still have it. I wouldn't part with it now as it holds so many lovely memories.
I also had a portable fan which made for more comfortable nights (DD was born during a heatwave).
The strangest gift I got when I was expecting the first time was from my boss's mother. She gave me a big bale of muslin squares and at the time I couldn't understand what use I would possibly have for them. They are traditionally used to line terry nappies which I had no intention of using. However they were the single most useful item I had in the early years, ideal as bibs, for mopping up and protecting clothes from dribbles. They are so easily laundered and handy to carry with you and I now give a pack to all the Mums-to-be I know.
Old 12 Feb 06, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When I had my DD I spent a fortune on baby equipment! I had a great time! Anyway after looking at all the stuff I had amassed I came to the conclusion that the items I had the most use out of were a plastic changing mat, a sponge for her to lie on in the bath and a top 'n tail bowl for £2.99! Agree about the muslin squares - loved them!

Pam.

truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 06, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I would also vote for muslin squares, and the sponge in the bath.

My top 3 would be
carseat that clips on the pram - this is a godsend when the baby falls asleep in the car and you have to get out of the car to go shopping, or even come home. I don't like to see babys in them all the time, but love them for the convenience.

Baby sling I have had a few, there is a sort that is like a big tube of fleece that is just lovely, you put it over one shoulder and cradle the baby in the folds and you can give them a lovely cuddle while still using the phone, or eating, or any of the other myriad things you are trying ot do when the baby just wants to be held.
brightsparkslings/slings.htm

For bottlefeeding mums, a little pot with 3 compartments that you can hold the powder in - I think now you can actually get bottles with a seperate compartment for powder. What is means is you can fill your bottle with room temp water, and carry bottles without need for refrigeration, or more importantly warming them up later - no need for all that palava with jugs of boiling water - just dump the powder in teh bottle and shake.

Just thought of something i didnt have but would have liked, and that's a bedside cot where the side can be removed so you can have the baby in their own space but right next to you and easily accesible in the night
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 06, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

There are very few things that are "essential" (apart from the obvious nappies / milk / clothes of course! ) however there are lots of great things out there! I agree with the foam bath insert - DONT buy a baby bath, they are totally impractical! The foam insert (shaped like a baby) just lies in your normal bath and is FAB!

Both of ours liked their baby swings - and for DS it was an ESSENTIAL as he cried 24/7! This calmed him down a lot! We have a portable one for our new addition arriving soon.

A nice play mat is a good investment but avoid one that needs batteries - just a soft one with bright colours is ideal.

A cot mobile is another good buy, as it can help your baby associate the music with "sleep time". We have gone for the Tiny Love one this time, which plays classical tunes.

Other little things that I find useful are nappy sacks, muslin squares, baby massage cream and Infacol (suitbale from birth to help with colic).

Good luck!

Allie
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 06, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post

HI!

I bought far too much when my kids were born ..and although some things were more useful than others i found the best item that i had was the car seat base that stays fixed in the car..and then your babies car seat just clips into it. Not only was it so quick & easy, i found it much safer than using the seatbelt to seucre the carseat..as i was useless at this..and could never get the carseat stable with just the seatbelt. It was only yesterday when driving in town when we pulled to the side of a car and the baby's car seat was rocking all over the place. This is only applicable to the seats for 0-9m though and they have to be compatable with the base.

I also have a poem my 3yr old made for me at playgroup last year with his handprints on them.Although its not really an essential item as such its a godsend when they decide to put there muddy hands over your new carpet..its hard to get mad at them after you read it. It goes like this..

Sometimes you get discouraged, because i am so small,
And Always leave my Finger-prints on Furniture and Walls.
But Every Day Im Growing, I'll be grown up some Day
And All those Tiny handprints, will surely fade away,
So Here's a little handprint, just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked, when i was very small.

This would be a really nice gift if you could manage to get the babies handprints when baby is born..type out the poem put it next to handprints and frame it... It really helps me when they are playing up..and makes me remember that they are only this age once.

Hope this helps a little

Lucy

Edited at 05:50 PM.
Old 12 Feb 06, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinders Mum
Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

Cinders Mum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14
her bouncy chair, with the battery operated rocking motion, then I'd have agreed exactly with your 3 selections Sue, the v-shaped pillow was worth it's weight both when pregnant and when I wsa feeding. the ceiling fan was a god send when heavily pregnant in the summer.

I know this isn't what you asked about but a nice thing to give mum to be late in her pregnancy just for her, would be a pamper kit with face mister, moisturiser, lip balm, massage cream etc. friends and I have done this for each other waaay back when, and it was so appreciated during labour and the post labour days when we were feeling pretty pants these helped perk us up a bit.

HTH

HELEN KNOWLES
GOLD PERSONAL TRAVEL COUNSELLOR

T: 01205 804340
E:helen.knowles@travelcounsellors.com
http://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/helen.knowles

Travel Counsellors Trust Protection on Every Part of your Booking. ATOL Bonded.
Cinders Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 06, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Loadsapixiedust and Pam - I used the muslim squares too - your right, I'd forgotten how useful they are A rocking chair I would have loved, but never had the room, and I don't remember seeing anything like the foam bath mat - wish I had though - I use to hate the hassel of the baby bath!

Bev - thanx for that link - think you have just helped me decide on my gift when baby arrives

This 'new baby' will be inheriting Kates playmat, Allie - she had a jungle one, from boots and loved the colours, textures and sounds - and as you say, much better without batteries

Lucy - that poem brought back memories I have a similar one, origionally done by DD1, when in playgroup...

"There use to be so many of my fingerprints to see,
on walls and chairs and furniture, from sticky, grubby me.
But if you stop and think a while, you'll see I'm growing fast.
Those little handprints dissappear, you can't bring back whats past.
So heres a small reminder, to keep, not wipe away,
Of little hands and how they looked, to make you smile someday"

I have copies of it, with each of the kids handprints attached, and its such a lovely reminder - makes for a great homemade pressie at birthdays and Christmas for the proud grandparents too

Val - thanx for the idea of the set for Tammy - that will be a really nice boost for her, when she will be feeling "pants" as you say

I'm making a list to pass on to Tammy of all the suggestions - I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up getting it all for this baby - they have waited such a long time for this

Love Suexx
Old 12 Feb 06, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by obizzymad
HI!

I also have a poem my 3yr old made for me at playgroup last year with his handprints on them.Although its not really an essential item as such its a godsend when they decide to put there muddy hands over your new carpet..its hard to get mad at them after you read it. It goes like this..

Sometimes you get discouraged, because i am so small,
And Always leave my Finger-prints on Furniture and Walls.
But Every Day Im Growing, I'll be grown up some Day
And All those Tiny handprints, will surely fade away,
So Here's a little handprint, just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked, when i was very small.

Hope this helps a little

Lucy
i have this poem along with hand prints of my two, it makes me cry everytime i read it, makes you realise how precious they are (crying now BTW)

as for essentials, i would agree with the muslin squares, but also advise them against any of the huge big prams. They are fine when they are little but once they get to 6 months old or so, you get so fed up with lugging the great big heavy thing around you always end up with a lightweight umbrella stroller. I had a pliko pushchair which is an umbrealla folding buggy but you can attach a car seat and a carrycot to it, so you get the nice pram for when they are young but still have a pushchair which is good forever.
Old 12 Feb 06, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Totally agree with the Muslin Squares - DS had reflux for the first 12 months so they were invaluable.

Another inexpensive but fab buy was one of these

mothercare/invt/lv568...atbathsupports

The foam one also looks good but I wouldn't lay my newborn in a hard plastic one

I am also a BIG fan of sling and have a Brightsparks pouch sling but for a bit of luxary you can't beat zolowear
Closed Thread