Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 12 Apr 06, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Any advice for coping with the sun and heat?

Just looking for any advice and tips for coping with the Florida sun and heat. Here are some of our tried and tested tips:

We found mister fans invaluable last summer, July was really too hot for us.

DS suffered as he was sitting in his wheelchair sweating most of the time, (it has black plastic type material covers) We found he was more comfortable with a towel lining the chair.

We also found gel filled bandanas (in Walmart) which we could soak in the drinking fountains, these placed on the back of the neck were wonderfully cooling and refreshing.

When buying drinks in the parks we always asked for some iced water too, they are happy to give you a cup or two and it is much more refreshing than soda.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 06, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Because of my Erbs Palsy, i dont sweat out of the right side of my upper body.
The best cool-down i found (other than the mister fans) was them sun wipes (like sun cream on a wipe) from Avon. I packed a few each day in a plastic bag and kept them in the bum bag, so they stayed relatively cool. Also a good way to get some SPF onto less-than willing kids!
Old 13 Apr 06, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Avon do another spray that cools you down, its lovely as you spray it on and it smells nice whilst lingering as you cool down a little.

I also find going onto attractions or inside is a good way to cool down, in seaworld when we went it was really hot and uncomfortable, so we kept going into attractions that had AC and it lasted 20mins or so, that way we cooled down, then walked to next ride and was ready to cool down again
Old 20 Apr 06, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

My Dbf is very intolerant of heat (breaks out in bad hives) so we plan to go to parks as early as possible in the morning, leave by mid day for the cool of the hotel and then return around five when it has cooled down a lot. Its an idea if you are able to park hop and the hotel is near by.
Old 20 Apr 06, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
We have some water filter bottles and keep refilling these at the fountains with fresh cold better tasting water. We have to make sure DS2 keeps well hydrated or he's more prone to seizures.

We also use Magi Cool spray and mister bottles. Every time I visit the rest rooms i run cold water on my wrists, that's a great cooler.

We always visit during July/August so have put these methods to good use each time. Lyn, that's a good tip with the towel for the wheelchair I'll try it this time with Joshy's.

Caron
Old 20 Apr 06, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen uk
Imagineer

Helen uk's Reviews
Caron.does that magi cool spary work?Ive been thinking about taking some of that with us but was unsure .
Helen uk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 06, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post

The Magi Cool spray does work. I think if you keep a high factor cream on all day it helps, also as has already been said plenty to drink. The most cooling thing I found is something wet around my neck. The gel filled bandanas sound good but anything will do so long as it holds water ie cotton not nylon.
Old 20 Apr 06, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Helen, the Magi Cool works lovely for instant cooling, doesn't last long though. It is great for cooling a hot car down before you get in it as well.

Caron
Old 20 Apr 06, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread