Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 28 Apr 06, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post

adhd + any tips for florida 2007

We are booking for Florida 2007, and taking our 4 kids 18.16, 12 (adhd) +, 10
We have been before but C3 was only 5 the first time and 7 the next. Both times he found it hard waiting in the lines and the noise and often ended up in tears. Universal were great last time and gave us a fastpass card to use on all the rides. and we had a great calm holiday with only a few hick ups. He is now older and more boyish and I was wondering if Disney do the same kind of card. This is my first time on this site so any advice would be great. Not going until June 2007 (for MY 40th birthday, big kid at heart)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 06, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Welcome to the Dibb!

You will find lots of info on the Disney Guest Assistance Card in the sticky at the top of this forum. These are tailored to individual circumstances and can be a real lifeline for guests with special needs.
Does your son enjoy music and would he tolerate headphones? If he would then an mp3 player or personal stereo could help with the noise issue and give him something to do whilst waiting in line. It would also be useful on the plane.
I'm sure others will be along soon with more good tips, happy planning!
Old 1 May 06, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi angela. My eldest daughter (age 13) also has ADHD. Although she should be OK waiting in line, we intend to get the GAC just so we have the option to try and avoid any embarrassing situations with her behaviour. Another good tip I was given was to put her in charge of the maps etc and planning a route around the park. That way, when we are in line for the rides she can be planning where we go next. I have got her (well, both of them) really involved in the planning and she understands that there will be times whn she will have to queue. All the same, we intend to utilise Fastpass as often as possible to try and avoid any potentially difficult situations with her.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 06, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by wilma-bride
Hi angela. My eldest daughter (age 13) also has ADHD. Although she should be OK waiting in line, we intend to get the GAC just so we have the option to try and avoid any embarrassing situations with her behaviour. Another good tip I was given was to put her in charge of the maps etc and planning a route around the park. That way, when we are in line for the rides she can be planning where we go next. I have got her (well, both of them) really involved in the planning and she understands that there will be times whn she will have to queue. All the same, we intend to utilise Fastpass as often as possible to try and avoid any potentially difficult situations with her.
That's a really good idea. Not sure if it would work for DS2 as he would want to ride on Dumbo all day

The first year we went to DLP (didn't have a diagnosis of ASD then) we had to detour around the castle because DS2 wanted to see Pooh Bear all the time.

Caron

ca
Old 2 May 06, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Hi, I have adhd and also aspergers but im 24 years old. Still though I feel that no matter the age, we are all still in the same situation in that we have to live everyday with this. When I go to florida I do intend to try and get some kind of guest assistance card because i just dont do too well with people getting to close to me and having to wait. I will use the fast pass system also.

You need to get a letter from your GP basically saying that your child would be gratful for any assitance that can be given to make his or her stay as fun as can be.
Old 2 May 06, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lil_Missy
Imagineer

Lil_Missy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
You do not need a letter from your GP. We didn't have one. You just have to be able to explain to the CM what your needs are. Then they can make sure you get the right assistance that you need.
Coronado Springs Resort October 2011 - QSDP Dining Report
Art of Animation October 2013
Lil_Missy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 06, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post

I totally agree with the map idea. First time we went i made DD (ADHD) who was 13 at the time, "Map woman"! It made her feel totally "in control". The whole holiday we only had to deal with 2 meltdowns, both when she was tired.
The second visit we didnt really need the maps so much so i made her "Camcorder woman" and again, because she felt she was in control of something, she was fine, in fact, she didnt meltdown at all on the second trip, but it was December and quite chilly so i guess that helped not having to deal with the heat.

Personally i wouldnt ask for a GAC for neither DD or me (i have Erbs Palsy), i guess its just a pride thing, but i would be embarrased to bypass a line of kids as both our disabilities are "hidden" and i would hate to think others were talking about me lol!
Old 12 May 06, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by janny
i would be embarrased to bypass a line of kids as both our disabilities are "hidden" and i would hate to think others were talking about me lol!
I didn't bother with a pass for our DS on our last trip for exactly the same reason. People dont 'see' the disability but sure know about it when he starts in the q . Every queue on our last visit was stressful so next time I am going to ask for a pass...much better for everybody
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 06, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I didn't bother with a pass for our DS on our last trip for exactly the same reason. People dont 'see' the disability but sure know about it when he starts in the q . Every queue on our last visit was stressful so next time I am going to ask for a pass...much better for everybody
Sarah, that's precisely the reason why I am going to get the GAC this time. I am able to judge Sian's moods enough to know when/if we need to use it so I wouldn't use it if I didn't need to (after all, she does need to learn that sometimes in life she has to wait), however if she was having an off day, I would hate to think that everyone's (both our family and other families who may witness it and not understand) day would be affected.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 06, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Joh, I completely agree with you. Also, I think that the ADHD diagnosis is so "popular" now that more and more people recognise it for what it is.

I actually wrote to Disney about this very point as I have a son who is diagnosed ADHD and another one who is undiagnosed but goes crazy in crowded areas. This is the reply I got from Disney:

"You may wish to stop by any theme park Guest Relations location upon your arrival to obtain more information about our services for guests with disabilities. There is a service option that has been created specifically for the benefit of guests who, for various reasons, may require special
assistance. Guest Relations can issue a Guest Assistance Card for guests with a non-apparent special assistance need. Depending on a guest's particular need, this card will alert our cast to provide assistance such as allowing guests to wait in a shaded area, providing front of house seating in theaters, or allowing admission to attractions through auxiliary entrances, where applicable. This card can be issued for the length of your visit upon arrival at your first theme park, but cannot be arranged in advance. We would like to clarify, however, the intention of this service has never been to bypass attraction wait times, or to be used by guests with discernible
service needs, such as guests utilizing wheelchairs, crutches, or canes. To accommodate individual needs, guests are asked to discuss their assistance requests with a Guest Relations cast member prior to the card being issued. A doctor's note is not required."

Jackie
Closed Thread