Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 2 May 06, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Are there any adults here with ADHD, Aspergers or similar?

Hi, if there are any in here and you have been to disney before... How did you find it and what worked best for you? If there was anything you could do to help with your stay what would it be?

I am new here and been to disney once before with my mum in sept 2004. I really found the whole experience magical and very very theraputic. I think visual stimulation was fantastic. I just found it very tough having to line up with others and for long periods. When we went in sept it was not very busy at the parks and so i found it managable. However we are going in June and im thinking of asking for a Guest assitance card just to help me out when there is too many people close to me because the ques are too long.

Does anyone also know if there is anywhere that we can go and just have timeout away from people?

Thanks for any assistance.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 06, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Lil_Missy
Imagineer

Lil_Missy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
My DH2B is being investigated for epilepsy and he was born with aphasia. He has problems with stamina and gets tired very quickly and so cannot stay out for too long as it can set off a seizure so we went and got a Guest Assistance Card. The card let us use the fastpass line without having to get fast passes all the time.

I would recommend this for you as well. You do have to queue but its not so bad.
Coronado Springs Resort October 2011 - QSDP Dining Report
Art of Animation October 2013
Lil_Missy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 06, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lil_Missy
Imagineer

Lil_Missy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Just to add we got the Passporters book for people with Special Needs and it was great and I am sure it points out in there quiet places for people to rest.

Here is the link to it on Amazon

Passporters Walt Disney with Special Needs
Coronado Springs Resort October 2011 - QSDP Dining Report
Art of Animation October 2013
Lil_Missy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 06, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for your reply it is nice to know that I am not the only adult that would benefit from extra help. I also have a blue badge and will be bringing that with me as I have heard that we can use them at the parks. Did you have a blue badge for your DH2b?

I already have the passporters guide, and I agree it is a very good book. I did not think though to check it out for quite places.

Thanks
Old 4 May 06, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Hello, my Dbf has slight autistic behaviours, he does not carry a disabled card but we've been given some advise which helps him. 1: if you can, arrive early and then take a break out of the park in the afternoon and then go back in the evening. this way you miss the main bulk of crowds and the extreme heat. Also, get seated early for fireworks parades etc and have people in your party sit around you. we are doing this with Dbf so people he doesn't know dont press against him. people have warned him against this type of holiday but i think he will love it, with a thought out plan and a few considerations i think disney is a fantastic place for anyone with any disability or special need.
Old 4 May 06, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post

Hey there thanks for your tips. If you do fine that your dbf suffers then just try going to guest services to see if there is anything else they can perhaps offer for him.

I dont think it will be possible for us to take time out in the afternoon as we usuallly get dropped of at the parks and picked up around closing time. But im sure again if I talk to disney they will be able to help us out.
Old 4 May 06, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
If you start to find it overwhelming and need a break quickly all the parks have a first aid station where there are quiet areas that you can lie down in and just have time out. The areas are curtained off and air conditioned and are ideal for having time out from people - the nurses are very understanding. I do not have ADHD or Aspergers (I have a different disability) but when I am having difficulty and the rest of my family are not ready to leave I can go there for an hour to rest and it is ideal. I also have a blue badge and it is accepted everywhere in Orlando.
Old 4 May 06, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Sue, thanks for your post, it just makes things that little bit easier now. My partner will be happy to know this also because he knows how things can be at times. Thankyou
Old 4 May 06, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread