theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Our first taste of Canada - post trip thoughts (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=885566)

jocat 13 Jun 15 04:20 PM

Our first taste of Canada - post trip thoughts

Our first taste of Canada - Toronto and Niagara Falls

Index here

Introductions here

Last Day here

Post-trip thoughts

We really enjoyed Toronto, and I think the brilliant weather definitely helped with that. I’m not sure we’d have had quite the same experience visiting in the Winter months, but it was lovely to see the city transforming before our eyes, with all the many outdoor patios starting to open during our visit.

City breaks for many people seem to involve long days out exploring, eager to cram as much into a short space of time as they can, and we’ve certainly experienced lots of breaks like that before – after our first trip to New York we were shattered! It didn’t feel like that for us this time though. I think we’ve adapted in the last couple of years and prefer to take our time a bit more now, enjoying soaking up the atmosphere, whilst relaxing over the odd glass of wine! ;) If we’re honest, we could have probably ‘done’ Toronto in a 4 night stay, but the extra night and day allowed us to slow the pace down a bit.

As Bonzo observed in his trippie, there is a lot of construction work going on in the city. Have no idea what they’re building, but it didn’t really impact on us. And while I’m on the subject of Bonzo, I want to thank both him and Alison again for their recent trippie. :thumbs-up There seemed a real shortage of Toronto reports on the Dibb while I was in the initial planning stages of our trip, so to have one posted just a few weeks before we travelled was a fantastic help.

Without exception, all of the Canadian people we met and spoke to were very polite and friendly and it’s certainly whetted our appetite to visit Canada again. Vancouver is definitely on the list, as is the Rockies, but we would happily visit Toronto again for a short break, perhaps tagging in onto other destinations, for example if we wanted to break up the long flight to the West Coast of Canada.

So, let’s finish this with our High and Lows:

Highs:
  • Niagara Falls - simply breathtaking
  • Weather - we couldn't believe our luck with the weather, despite the original forecast of 4 days of rain.
  • Our room at the Delta Toronto – it was well worth the extra money for a corner room with a view.
  • CN Tower
  • Toronto Islands - well worth a trip.
  • Distillery District - lovely for a wander.
  • Mostly fabulous meals

Lows:
  • Le Neuf Café meal
  • That horrible plane landing, that wasn’t a landing, on our arrival day! :cry:

Thank you to everyone who has been reading along and commenting. :wavey: And for those of you who have Toronto trips in the pipeline, I hope you've found something useful to help with your planning, and that you have a great holiday there too. I’d love to read all about it.

We’re lucky enough to have a trip out to Florida in the Summer, so we’re on countdown for that now. A slightly different trip this time, as after just over a week in Orlando, we’re spending the rest of our time in the Keys and Marco Island – I’m envisaging even more relaxing with a cocktail or two! :D :cocktail:

sameeel 13 Jun 15 04:40 PM

Ah thankyou for sharing... I have really enjoyed reading your trippie :)

And look forward to reading about the Keys and Marco Island.. another on our to do list!.. Hope you have a fab time :)

Magic Mouse 13 Jun 15 04:46 PM

Thank you for sharing your holiday - I have to admit that I normally only read Florida trippies, but I've really enjoyed reading yours.

Canada is on my "to do" list, maybe once the kids have flown the nest!

keygrip 13 Jun 15 07:00 PM

Off to Toronto for the first time in August and just wanted to say a big thank you for your trip report 'Thank you'

Am looking forward to our trip even more having read your reports and will be revisiting them again as we get closer to departure date :grin:

Melbatb 13 Jun 15 09:01 PM

Thanks Jo - brought back some good memories.

We did Vancouver last year (coupled with Seattle, VI and Whistler) and had a fab time. VI is my all time favourite place!

This year it is Quebec! We like Canada just a little ;)

Cutiepie 14 Jun 15 09:21 AM

Thanks for sharing and I have enjoyed reading along. We are off to Vancouver in 2 weeks time. I've never been to Canada before so really looking forward to a different holiday this year:)

jocat 14 Jun 15 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameeel (Post 10735442)
Ah thankyou for sharing... I have really enjoyed reading your trippie :)

And look forward to reading about the Keys and Marco Island.. another on our to do list!.. Hope you have a fab time :)

Glad you've enjoyed it. Not sure we'll be doing very much to warrant another trippie. Would it not be boring to read about sunbeds, pools, eating and drinking? ;) They are nice to look back on though, to remind yourself of the small details that usually get forgotten very quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse (Post 10735451)
Thank you for sharing your holiday - I have to admit that I normally only read Florida trippies, but I've really enjoyed reading yours.

Canada is on my "to do" list, maybe once the kids have flown the nest!

Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad to have you in the General Trip Reports forum. :wavey: Canada is well worth a visit. We've only starting travelling a bit more now the children have grown up - when you don't have to pay for them, you can holiday twice as often! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by keygrip (Post 10735780)
Off to Toronto for the first time in August and just wanted to say a big thank you for your trip report 'Thank you'

Am looking forward to our trip even more having read your reports and will be revisiting them again as we get closer to departure date :grin:

Really glad it's helped and hope you have a great time visiting Toronto. :wavey:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melbatb (Post 10736064)
Thanks Jo - brought back some good memories.

We did Vancouver last year (coupled with Seattle, VI and Whistler) and had a fab time. VI is my all time favourite place!

This year it is Quebec! We like Canada just a little ;)

Thanks for reading and commenting each day Mel and thanks for all your help and advice in the run up to our trip :wavey: Have you done any trippies? Would love to hear more about the different things Canada has to offer, and it sounds like you've been there a lot. :grin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutiepie (Post 10737061)
Thanks for sharing and I have enjoyed reading along. We are off to Vancouver in 2 weeks time. I've never been to Canada before so really looking forward to a different holiday this year:)

Glad you've enjoyed it. :) Have a fab time in Vancouver. Might you be doing a trippie too?

Kate 14 Jun 15 09:53 PM

Thanks for the trip report! Really enjoyed it. We are going in a September and it was nice to see some if the places we may visit!

Lovesholidays 15 Jun 15 08:03 PM

Thanks so much for letting us all share your trip, we have enjoyed reading them all and stealing a few ideas for a trip we plan in May 2016 ;) glad you both had a great time, oh yeah, and enjoy the keys it's VERY laid back lol :wave:

jocat 19 Jun 15 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 10739499)
Thanks for the trip report! Really enjoyed it. We are going in a September and it was nice to see some if the places we may visit!

Thanks for reading Kate. Glad you enjoyed it. :) Have a lovely time when you visit, and don't forget to share it with us when you're back. :wavey:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovesholidays (Post 10742332)
Thanks so much for letting us all share your trip, we have enjoyed reading them all and stealing a few ideas for a trip we plan in May 2016 ;) glad you both had a great time, oh yeah, and enjoy the keys it's VERY laid back lol :wave:

I love other people's trippies, and find them invaluable when planning my own holidays, so am pleased if it's given you a few ideas for your own trip. :)

Glad to hear that the Keys are laid back - just what I'm looking forward to. :D Must go and do a search to see if there's any trippies on the Keys.