theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Car Hire & Transportation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   BA Changing car class (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1180569)

nth09 22 Sep 20 08:51 AM

BA Changing car class

Looking at BA fly-drive for next summer - want to “package” it for obvious reasons right now. Flight prices are great but car hire prices are laughably high. Is it possible to book now and change the car hire later if/when the prices drop?

lexie32 22 Sep 20 08:53 AM

Could you add an airport hotel for 1 night to make it into a package instead?

lexie32 22 Sep 20 08:59 AM

Ps. I know you can do this if you book over the phone and quite often it works out cheaper than the internet!

nth09 22 Sep 20 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexie32 (Post 14655273)
Could you add an airport hotel for 1 night to make it into a package instead?

I could but by adding the car it turns the flights from economy light to standard economy but with a bit of a discount. Essentially adding 4 bags and seat choices for the price of adding two bags that I'd have to do anyway.

Shooby doo 22 Sep 20 09:42 AM

Ok don't have any experience of this but, although I'm not 100% sure what you are asking:confused2,I'd imagine any changes are going to incur an amendment fee. If by "changing" you mean cancelling the car hire (?) I would want to check that I wasn't going to lose my deposit as it may be classed as a cancellation & you have to re-book & pay the flight only in full.
I expect that Airlines are well aware that people want to book a "package" rather than pay flights in full & maybe less "sympathetic" to any changes IYKWIM
SD:d:

neilhd 22 Sep 20 10:50 AM

I have done this before, upgrading from mini-van to Suburban.

It seems there may be a £100 change fee on car hire now that would probably apply.

I may even do it again this year if prices change significantly, although the Explorer-class we have booked should be sufficient.

metalguru 22 Sep 20 10:51 AM

Did this over the phone last year and got an upgrade plus cash back

nth09 22 Sep 20 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilhd (Post 14655398)
I have done this before, upgrading from mini-van to Suburban.

It seems there may be a £100 change fee on car hire now that would probably apply.

I may even do it again this year if prices change significantly, although the Explorer-class we have booked should be sufficient.

Like you, explorer class would do. It’s more that I expect that car prices could well drop as they’re currently crazy high. On the other hand flight prices are v good right now so would like to get those “locked” as part of package.

NewtoOrlando 23 Sep 20 07:43 PM

Yes, have done it on our last 2 trips, have had to pay a £50 admin fee both times but I didn't mind as the actual upgrade price was very good! In 2018 we upgraded from a Town and Country to a Tahoe or similar, got to Miami and they gave us a Suburban instead, to my DH's delight haha.

Dolphin9511 25 Sep 20 11:03 AM

I booked a BA package for next May at the beginning of September, I then wanted to add an extra person onto the booking, so they added them onto the hotel and the car hire and I upgraded the car hire to the next size up and I actually got an £8 refund and was not charged any amendment fees at all