theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   For the gents (of a certain age)... (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1182179)

SussexFamily 22 Oct 20 03:07 PM

For the gents (of a certain age)...

Just a gentle reminder,

Despite Covid precautions it’s still possible to organise a blood test to check blood count (prostrate) at your GPs.

Results given within a week and if normal you don’t necessarily require a physical check. (Just got my results today) 👍🏻

I lost my dad to Prostrate cancer 5 years ago and I get checked regularly. I let this last check slip by 6 months (usually get checked near my birthday).

Please make sure you get checked regularly ... you know it makes sense ... even with restrictions in place.

Regards

cartoonp 22 Oct 20 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexFamily (Post 14689215)
Just a gentle reminder,

Despite Covid precautions it’s still possible to organise a blood test to check blood count (prostrate) at your GPs.

Results given within a week and if normal you don’t necessarily require a physical check. (Just got my results today) 👍🏻

I lost my dad to Prostrate cancer 5 years ago and I get checked regularly. I let this last check slip by 6 months (usually get checked near my birthday).

Please make sure you get checked regularly ... you know it makes sense ... even with restrictions in place.

Regards

Got mine in 2 weeks with my yearly check up for diabetes ect

Bozza 22 Oct 20 03:13 PM

I wonder why these tests aren’t routinely scheduled, similarly to smear tests for women.

SussexFamily 22 Oct 20 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozza (Post 14689227)
I wonder why these tests aren’t routinely scheduled, similarly to smear tests for women.

Its a valid point Bozza. It appears to be self generating as I always have to ask for an appointment.

7SeasSailor 22 Oct 20 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozza (Post 14689227)

Because men haven't raised the profile of this problem high enough. I'll bet that there are very few men who have written to their MP or anybody else in authority about it.

Tweety1 22 Oct 20 08:02 PM

Can you just ask every year for the test - no questions? What do you ask for?

SussexFamily 22 Oct 20 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweety1 (Post 14689603)
Can you just ask every year for the test - no questions? What do you ask for?

There are two tests, physical check of the prostrate and a specific blood test. Just discuss it with your GP. If you have family history then give that information also.

Labboy 22 Oct 20 08:06 PM

Checked my friend SF., you are right of course, health is extremely important.

SussexFamily 22 Oct 20 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labboy (Post 14689611)
Checked my friend SF., you are right of course.

It is something we should all take seriously. Tests are quick and painless. Best to monitor regularly.

Mr Tom Morrow 22 Oct 20 08:26 PM

That reminds me to ask for the blood test. I have no desire to have the physical one again!:erm:

Just joking I will if needed.

Sad to say the Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening testing is paused yet again as well here. That applies to Men only over 65.