theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Pre-placement health assessment- anyone got any experience ? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1203721)

buryboy 15 Sep 21 09:53 PM

Pre-placement health assessment- anyone got any experience ?

So DD is ( hopefully ) off to Uni.
She had a welcome day there today . On the way home she gets an email inviting to her to what is described as a pre-placement health assessment .

The email is obviously standard as it refers to it being to check on suitability for the employment .

It appears on signing up for Uni , DD had to complete some kind of survey / online health questionnaire which she completed honestly with her eating disorder / anxiety history .

The website seems to suggest the assessment is to determine suitability for the role , but also to potentially assist in recommending any adjustments she made need.

https://www.healthworkltd.com/Servic...thAssessments1

DD is really concerned about it actually stopping her being able to go to Uni ( she is doing primary education so will include placements at school so not a typical Uni course ) whereas I am hoping actually it may give her access to extra help.

Does anyone have any experience of such an assessment and what happens in practice ?

wendy7654 15 Sep 21 10:37 PM

Hi what Uni is she at? My daughter is in her 2nd year at Man Met doing primary education and did 1 placement in May this year, I think I remember her doing a questionaire and can check with her tomorrow- currently on a freshers night out tonight🙈

buryboy 15 Sep 21 10:56 PM

Hi Wendy
Good to hear from you.
You may recall we shared a couple of private messages a couple of years ago about both daughters possibly doing that course .
Well I guess yours made it last year - hope it’s all going well .
Mine is hoping to be doing the exact same course at manmet starting this year 😀

If you could ask that would be great . But our DD has done the questionnaire and now has been invited to have a face to face assessment.
It’s that assessment rather than the questionnaire I am trying to find out about

Thanks a lot

wendy7654 16 Sep 21 12:22 AM

Hi yes that’s why I asked as I was sure it was going to be Man Met she was going to.

Yes my Daughter did start last year but only managed 1 placement in May, that was for 5 weeks and although hard work she loved it.

Il have a chat with her tomorrow and let you know.

Really hope your Daughter starts the course.

Wendy

5gotodisney 16 Sep 21 06:33 AM

Hi Buryboy,

not the same uni’s, but two of my children had pre-course assessments done when they went to uni, one because of his dyslexia and the other because of ASD, the assessments they had were very much about what support the uni could given them, eg extra equipment, talk to type software, for instance, also our son with ASD was offered a mentor, which he did find useful at the beginning, he had a history of struggling with his mental health when he transitioned at times in his life and he had been open with the uni about that. We didn’t get any sense that they were trying to say he shouldn’t be there, it was very much ‘what can we do to help’

Hope all goes well for her.

buryboy 16 Sep 21 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5gotodisney (Post 15137724)
Hi Buryboy,

not the same uni’s, but two of my children had pre-course assessments done when they went to uni, one because of his dyslexia and the other because of ASD, the assessments they had were very much about what support the uni could given them, eg extra equipment, talk to type software, for instance, also our son with ASD was offered a mentor, which he did find useful at the beginning, he had a history of struggling with his mental health when he transitioned at times in his life and he had been open with the uni about that. We didn’t get any sense that they were trying to say he shouldn’t be there, it was very much ‘what can we do to help’

Hope all goes well for her.

That's really reassuring - thank you for responding.
I really hope it's predominantly that way round.
The email doesn't suggest anything about it being to potentially help DD , it's all about determining her suitability for 'employment' which given her anxiety has really got her on edge. ( she has effectively given up her job to go to uni )

Hopefully just a really badly worded email and all will be fine

Blue nose 16 Sep 21 07:45 AM

We do these in the workplace. Not uni but for jobs.

I manage OH, I'm not medical.

In our process the new employee fills in a form based on the hazards of the role they will be doing. So for a teacher it may be around:
Lifting an carrying
Computer use
Standing
Walking
Pressure

Then the nurse asks.about associated health condition and if you consider yourself disabled.

Depending on answers we get a report twith recommendations for adjustments. We are never allowed to know the 'condiition" with the employee consent - and realistically don't need to know.

For example:
Someone needs regular breaks - this could be Diabetes
Someone needs regular access to bathroom - this could be IBS
Someone needs a colour overlay - usually dyslexia
Someone needs a personal emergency evacuation plan - this could be all sorts of reasons to ensure the get out in a fire.

Since the Equality Act in 2010 the screening cannot be 'pre' offer it's about fitting the job for the person not saying they cannot attend

I would assume for school placements they are looking for 'big' stuff such as unable to climb stairs so only put the individual on a ground level school.

School won't have budgets to put in massive changes.

In my experience I really wouldn't worry. I know your DD have been thought a lot but previous poor (or current) mental health is common and isn't a barrier to employment.

I'm assuming you DD as 'ticked' someone which is why they want a chat. The nurses are really nice in my experience and will answer any concerns she has.

jasminedivas 16 Sep 21 08:07 AM

I’m just starting my second year in Primary Ed as a mature student at Brighton. I remember from last year that some people got asked for phone assessments for these as they weren’t doing them face to face. I think it really is about making sure DD is safe and giving assistance where they can. I know it’s hard but please tell dd that they want to help her and give any support possible to make uni life and placement easier. They won’t be trying to find ways to stop her doing the course, they are getting paid a lot of money to teach her and they want her on the course.
I would also stay that if she struggles at all to speak to her tutor or someone that she gets on with. Mine were really good when I lost my Dad unexpectedly in February. They realise life isn’t simple and there is the support there if you need it.
I hope your daughter has an amazing time.

buryboy 16 Sep 21 08:31 AM

Thank you bluenose and jasminedivas .
That has really put my mind at rest.
I just find it amazing that an email from an organisation that seemingly should have at its heart , the welfare of its ‘ clients’ manages to send an email out that gives totally the opposite impression

ChoppyGirl 16 Sep 21 01:18 PM

DD had to take one before starting a vet med course last year. I think it was a combination of both physical and mental questions as both are involved in that field - I believe that vets have a high suicide rate.

Edited to add that I doubt it would prevent her from doing the course but it may enable to access additional support.