theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Weight loss advice (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1131762)

rosiela 5 Jun 19 05:23 PM

Weight loss advice

I’m sure there must be threads about this so feel free to point me to some.

I just want to ask advice / need a a severe kick up the bum.

For those specifically who have lost a lot of weight. What did you do? Was it just an overnight thing of “right I’m losing weight” and no more excuses.

I need to lose weight (around 4.5 stone). There’s loads of reasons for doing this, improved health, mental health, having kids in the next year or two.

I go the gym / swim so it’s just sorting the diet. I don’t really know what’s best to have? As stupid as that sounds.

I have started on my fitness pal which seems really good.

Any words of wisdom or is it just a case of cracking on ! I find my motivation slips a lot, despite all the reasons for doing it.

EssexSue 5 Jun 19 05:49 PM

I am a yoyo dieter but a couple of years ago I went to my nieces party and her grandmother is one of those people who take photos all the ****** time and puts them on Facebook. I was so upset by the photo of me I could have cried but it gave me a big kick up the bum and I lost 2 stone since then. I'm still overweight (or under tall) tho.

Weddingnyc 5 Jun 19 05:51 PM

I lost a lot of weight (5st) before I had my first child using Weight Watchers, the fact that someone was “assessing” me spurred me on.
I’m now up and down by a stone, and now attempting to lose it again, using MyFitnessPal, which is excellent, and couch to 5k, when I can be bothered 😩
I find looking at losing weight/getting fitter/health quotes on Pinterest helps me carry on , don’t buy any “goodies”, and keeping busy at nighttime - my worst time for snacking.

Good luck!

taylaboo 5 Jun 19 05:54 PM

I joined Slimming World and everyone in the group is so supportive. Knowing I am getting weighed every week keeps me on the straight and narrow. I also bought the Pinch of Nom book. Great food that all the family can enjoy. I try to steer clear of bread and potatoes as they blow me out. I have lost 5" off my waist and 2" off my hips so far and and have another 20 weeks to lose 15lbs before my next Florida trip. Good luck with your weight loss.

coggie 5 Jun 19 05:55 PM

I know this is going to sound pretty obvious but it is very much eat healthier and do more exercise.

Remember if you can average a pound a week loss then that's nearly four stone in a year

June8th 5 Jun 19 05:55 PM

Try not to lose motivation if you slip and eat too much one day. Just carry on the diet regardless.
Try and shop for food after you have eaten.
Have small snack items ( low calorie or within diet regime) already in the cupboard or fridge.
Have a small glass of water before you eat. Try and drink water only not diet fizzy.
Can you join up with a friend? That helps some people.

rosiela 5 Jun 19 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coggie (Post 13886394)
I know this is going to sound pretty obvious but it is very much eat healthier and do more exercise.

Remember if you can average a pound a week loss then that's nearly four stone in a year

It is obvious but I think that’s what I keep forgetting, there’s all these “lose weight quick” plans etc but it’s literally about eating less and moving more. And eating more of the right stuff.

dubletrub 5 Jun 19 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosiela (Post 13886330)
I’m sure there must be threads about this so feel free to point me to some.

I just want to ask advice / need a a severe kick up the bum.

For those specifically who have lost a lot of weight. What did you do? Was it just an overnight thing of “right I’m losing weight” and no more excuses.

I need to lose weight (around 4.5 stone). There’s loads of reasons for doing this, improved health, mental health, having kids in the next year or two.

I go the gym / swim so it’s just sorting the diet. I don’t really know what’s best to have? As stupid as that sounds.

I have started on my fitness pal which seems really good.

Any words of wisdom or is it just a case of cracking on ! I find my motivation slips a lot, despite all the reasons for doing it.

I've lost 2 and half stone using my fitness pal since January

Breakfast is either porridge or boiled egg on toast. Not much variation because they are easy to do at work.
Lunch is usually a soup or salad which I again can do at work.
Dinners usually protein and veggies, pasta dishes, chilli with cauliflower rice, fish with couscous or rice with veggies.
I have 1 snack a day, crisps or couple of biscuits.
It is doable but you have to be honest with yourself and log everything.
I still have another couple of stones to go and I know due to Florida in August it could be nearer Christmas before I get there but I will.
Will also add that if you have a bad day then don't beat yourself up. I comfort eat due to depression and I do have bad days but just start again the day after.

coggie 5 Jun 19 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosiela (Post 13886396)
It is obvious but I think that’s what I keep forgetting, there’s all these “lose weight quick” plans etc but it’s literally about eating less and moving more. And eating more of the right stuff.

Go on Pinch of Nom website, some great recipes on there

louiseybobs 5 Jun 19 06:14 PM

I lost 8 stone, using my fitness pal, learning about having a calorie deficit is the smartest way to do it as it’s something you’ll carry with you for the rest of your life
It’s not a quick fix
It’s learning what you can eat and what you burn every day

I’m still learning
I’ve found maintaining the hardest part

I’m lighter so I don’t burn as much as I used to

I’m heavier with muscle now so sometimes that can effect the scales

It’s a mindfield but if you can learn along the weight loss journey then you’ll never forget what to do.

I run 30 miles a week when I’m not training for a big race, and still put weight on some weeks

Good luck, you’ve got this xx