theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Accommodation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Villa owners. A feedback question. Updated #50 & #51 (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1150799)

WileyCoyote 25 Oct 19 10:14 PM

Villa owners. A feedback question. Updated #50 & #51

Dear owners.

I booked a place on Airbnb that fell far short of the advertised listing. The furniture in the photographs was all gone and replaced by tatty and mismatched items. Even the curtains had been stripped. That was very disappointing but more seriously In my opinion it was unclean, unsafe and un secure. I must add It was not a Dibb villa. ;)

I messaged the host immediately on arrival who declined to reply to several messages and when I advised a few days later that I would be posting an honest review on Airbnb simply said “ we love the place”, sorry you didn’t”.

I did leave a review on the site detailing the issues and sent extensive photographs to the host and Airbnb prior to doing so. We left and booked into a hotel

Airbnb refunded me and concluded it was a “ terrible experience” . Their words not mine.

The owner has now responded and left me a negative review advising other hosts to be wary of having me as a guest.

Airbnb have said I should make a counter review.

I feel very strongly people should see what we encountered and have made my photos into a slide show and intended to put it in a video on YouTube.

I was going to suggest in my counter review that people view it before they book.

Before I act in haste, and recognising that I am very angry, I wanted to sense check this with you as owners.

Attached is a sample ... and by no means the worst. I’m not sure I can bring myself to show you the actual toilet. :(

I’m fully aware of the risks on using Airbnb so not after a debate on pros and cons. They responded quickly and have been good. We had a stay earlier in the holiday elsewhere with Airbnb that was fantastic.

My issue is the owners response and that this listing is still being looked at by other people and it depicts an entirely different version of what was encountered. Plus, I am aggrieved at it being suggested I am a bad guest for complaining. There has been no acceptance at all of the photos sent or issues raised.

Your balanced views as owners, who will have seen both sides of complaints, would be most appreciated.

I should add. The fee was over $200 a night for a “beautiful home”

Do I go ahead as I planned or let it go and move on?

ELLENUT 25 Oct 19 10:19 PM

OMG thats horrific. I am not a villa owner but I suggest you go ahead. Imagine if others had reviewd this honestly, you may have been spared this experience. I would do a counter review as suggested and point them in the direction of your slideshow. You have the responses from airbnb to back up your review too. Good luck.

BufordTJustice 25 Oct 19 10:35 PM

Post the feedback, rip into them in a big way, then either set up a new AirBnB account (assuming you can do this - I’ve never used them so can’t comment), or simply refrain from using AirBnB again.

Horrible experience, and a lot of money to pay for what you got.

princess allie 25 Oct 19 11:57 PM

Yuck, those photos make me feel sick.

Gryff 26 Oct 19 03:57 AM

I am a villa owner what you have shown is totally unacceptable
They deserve to have an honest review you have the evidence
Totally different from somebody who just wants a free holiday and complains after a 14 night stay during which they haven't contacted the management company or owner once yes they do exist
Things can go wrong just like they do at home but it's how they are dealt with by the owner that makes a difference
Example
The guests we have in came home yesterday to no power now we'd had an alert on our system to say it was off
Duke Energy had very kindly cut us off for supposed non payment of the bill it took us 2 hours to sort it out we had payed the bill
Our MC was in constant touch and as soon as it was back on checked the house to make sure everything was working and give the guests a
Gift card for Walmart as an apology even though they were not in the least bothered as we were on the case as soon as we knew it wasn't a power outage

Mr Tom Morrow 26 Oct 19 06:57 AM

Dear God! Those photos remind me of the toilets on a building site back in the 1970's.:erm:

I am a firm believer in not dwelling on things and moving on. However for certain issues I am like a dog with a bone and this would be one of them

I would be putting in the challenge as advised by Airbnb and would pursue this to the nth degree. If the owners 'love the place' they obviously enjoy living in squalor and are totally lacking in respect and values. Go get them.

EssexSue 26 Oct 19 09:14 AM

Disgraceful, but I can't work out what the last picture is supposed to be even.

Reunion 26 Oct 19 10:14 AM

Also a villa owner... but also a regular user of AirBnB for work stays all over the world!

Firstly, what you have pictured is an absolute disgrace and I am glad AirBnB gave your a refund.

We had a similar experience recently in Houston with the apartment not matching the pictures. The owner left me a negative review! Since then we have stayed in several more apartments and each time got great reviews. I replied to the owner's review and left future guests with a true reflection of the state of the apartment and the behaviour of the owner. He went very quiet and the listing has now been taken down. So as the others have said, pursue it as far as you can... and he won't get away with it!

Good luck.

Lizzim 26 Oct 19 10:35 AM

Not a villa owner but having had a poor experience with a villa (was advertised on the dibb when I booked but not after we returned from our trip) in the past I would agree that you should make every effort to ensure future guests know what they will actually find on arrival.

I'm still annoyed over 2 years later...

WileyCoyote 26 Oct 19 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELLENUT (Post 14144658)
OMG thats horrific. I am not a villa owner but I suggest you go ahead. Imagine if others had reviewd this honestly, you may have been spared this experience. I would do a counter review as suggested and point them in the direction of your slideshow. You have the responses from airbnb to back up your review too. Good luck.

Thank you. It puzzles me that all the other reviews are good. Either the place was stripped and left just before we visited or they are not genuine? But grime like that builds up over time. As for the toilet seat :omg:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BufordTJustice (Post 14144688)
Post the feedback, rip into them in a big way, then either set up a new AirBnB account (assuming you can do this - I’ve never used them so can’t comment), or simply refrain from using AirBnB again.

Horrible experience, and a lot of money to pay for what you got.

Thank you . I can’t set up a new account as you have to provide id but my husband can open one if need be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess allie (Post 14144773)
Yuck, those photos make me feel sick.

Yes us too. I cried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gryff (Post 14144831)
I am a villa owner what you have shown is totally unacceptable
They deserve to have an honest review you have the evidence
Totally different from somebody who just wants a free holiday and complains after a 14 night stay during which they haven't contacted the management company or owner once yes they do exist
Things can go wrong just like they do at home but it's how they are dealt with by the owner that makes a difference
Example
The guests we have in came home yesterday to no power now we'd had an alert on our system to say it was off
Duke Energy had very kindly cut us off for supposed non payment of the bill it took us 2 hours to sort it out we had payed the bill
Our MC was in constant touch and as soon as it was back on checked the house to make sure everything was working and give the guests a
Gift card for Walmart as an apology even though they were not in the least bothered as we were on the case as soon as we knew it wasn't a power outage

Helen thank you. You are so kind to reply when you have so much going on in your world. It’s the fact he won’t acknowledge what we have shown him that made me so mad. It’s like we have made it up !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 14144853)
Dear God! Those photos remind me of the toilets on a building site back in the 1970's.:erm:

I am a firm believer in not dwelling on things and moving on. However for certain issues I am like a dog with a bone and this would be one of them

I would be putting in the challenge as advised by Airbnb and would pursue this to the nth degree. If the owners 'love the place' they obviously enjoy living in squalor and are totally lacking in respect and values. Go get them.

Thank you. Honestly, there are worse pics than these . It was grim. I felt completely scammed by the listing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexSue (Post 14144923)
Disgraceful, but I can't work out what the last picture is supposed to be even.

It’s an extension that isn’t mentioned anywhere in the listing. It was visible from the pool deck and accessed via the garage. Not secured. Had windows missing and an open door. So anyone could have got into the house through this and via the garage if the internal garage door was open. I didn’t actually see it until daylight. My husband saw it the night before and didn’t tell me as he knew I would freak out and I was already on the ceiling with the stress of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reunion (Post 14144992)
Also a villa owner... but also a regular user of AirBnB for work stays all over the world!

Firstly, what you have pictured is an absolute disgrace and I am glad AirBnB gave your a refund.

We had a similar experience recently in Houston with the apartment not matching the pictures. The owner left me a negative review! Since then we have stayed in several more apartments and each time got great reviews. I replied to the owner's review and left future guests with a true reflection of the state of the apartment and the behaviour of the owner. He went very quiet and the listing has now been taken down. So as the others have said, pursue it as far as you can... and he won't get away with it!

Good luck.

Thank you. That’s really encouraging. I only have 3 Airbnb reviews as a guest and now one third of them is bad !

Thanks all for the replies. I will finish my slide show and you can see the full picture when I post a link to you tube in my trippie !