theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   SeaVenture at Discovery Cove (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1139097)

SMAX 4 Aug 19 08:00 AM

SeaVenture at Discovery Cove

SeaVenture at Discovery Cove always brings a smile to my miserable face. :)

I spent years Scuba Diving in what seems a previous life now. So SeaVenture does bring back memories of diving in the Florida Keys. This was my 3rd time of diving under the waters of Discovery cove and it is always special.

What was new to me this time was the harness you had to wear. This then attached to the blue air pipe to make sure nothing could pull it upwards. Having spoken to the crew they said it was to make sure if a ray got caught in the pipes it could not pull off the helmet. So a great safety feature they have added.

The whole experience takes around 30 minutes, but like all things you enjoy, it seems to go quickly. By leaving the video camera's going while under water, I can say that you are down under the water close to 30 minutes.

This video shows my experience of SeaVenture, shortened to around 6 minutes.

https://youtu.be/x6fxvts-Ij8

The first stop off point, on the sea floor walkabout, is the shark tank. The sharks are behind the glass, so there is no way you could mix with them.

Although they asked us if we would swim with them. Obviously everyone said YES!

They do take off any cameras you bring in with you, so they can get shots of yourself in front of the sharks. They also take more photos later in the walk.

You are welcome to bring action cams and waterproof cameras along with you and I would recommend getting one. You can borrow one of theirs but you will need to purchase the photos for these.

I did find one of the larger fish very interested in my DJI OSMO Action. Maybe he is a geek fish and was checking out the new model closely.

They do take time out to bring some creatures for you to touch and hold.

As I said it always brings a smile to my face even though this was the end of the dive.

Some points you might not know. You can prebook this before you go to make sure you get a place. You can also wear prescription glasses if you need too. But not sunglasses. You are fine with Transition lenses if your regular glasses has these as they will go clear under water.

I can wholeheartedly recommend SeaVenture at Discovery Cove. It is one of the highlights of the day there.

bennyboy0751 4 Aug 19 08:10 AM

im so jealous lol we go discovery cove every visit there on 18th November cant wait but i cant do this because im asthmatic so cant go under pressurised oxygen as it would cause me problems but my wife ann does she loves it

Fraser789 5 Aug 19 10:19 AM

Thanks for this review! We are going next month and it will be our first time doing the SeaVenture I'm really looking forward to it.

derenstar 6 Aug 19 12:19 AM

Great review! We will be there at end if this month and have booked Seaventure as well as the Dolphin Swim. I can’t wait!

skinnybaby 6 Aug 19 06:29 AM

Great video :grin:

We will be doing this in November for the first time.
Question: What do you wear on your feet for this?

Thanks

elliecjno1 6 Aug 19 07:45 AM

I've been & done it twice now & absolutely love it. For someone who doesn't like swimming & cant tread water I can get to experience this under water & also the dolphin swim without being made to feel like a prat :d: Love DC!

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinnybaby (Post 13998584)
Great video :grin:

We will be doing this in November for the first time.
Question: What do you wear on your feet for this?

Thanks

I've always been barefoot as its sandy but have seen some wear water shoes.

Mibbs 6 Aug 19 01:43 PM

I did this last August with my 13 years son and we both loved it, worth every penny

TheSollys 6 Aug 19 04:11 PM

Great review.

I have tried scuba diving at our local centre, but had issues with regulating my breathing & also not being comfortable the pressure the water placed on my body.

Would I still have the same issues with this?

We are down to try it next year.

SMAX 6 Aug 19 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSollys (Post 13999521)
had issues with regulating my breathing & also not being comfortable the pressure the water placed on my body.

Would I still have the same issues with this?

Expect a short/quick learning curve with this. One bit of advice is don't try and look/tilt your head down at the ground. Look forward all the time and look upwards if you feel any water coming in around your chin. This will force the air to push the water out again.

Regulating your breathing is easy. Just relax and breathe normally. With a regulator in your mouth there is an air restriction you just don't get with helmet diving. So your body doesn't react to trying to suck in air quicker. It is quite a normal breathing experience.

TheSollys 6 Aug 19 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMAX (Post 13999533)
Expect a short/quick learning curve with this. One bit of advice is don't try and look/tilt your head down at the ground. Look forward all the time and look upwards if you feel any water coming in around your chin. This will force the air to push the water out again.

Regulating your breathing is easy. Just relax and breathe normally. With a regulator in your mouth there is an air restriction you just don't get with helmet diving. So your body doesn't react to trying to suck in air quicker. It is quite a normal breathing experience.

Thanks for that.

I realise it is over a year away, but you have put my mind at rest.

Very good tips & I will take them all on board.