theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Oh to be arguing about tipping again... (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1180925)

Bozza 29 Sep 20 02:35 PM

Oh to be arguing about tipping again...

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end. In related news...

Disney customer branded 'rude' for refusing to tip staff on 'outrageous' food bill >>> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...LQZPelacAanaME

A Disney customer was branded rude for refusing to tip during a trip to one of the theme park's food outlets.

They had forked out $45.05 (around £35) for pizza with toppings including pepperoni, olives, mushrooms and onions.

When their bill arrived, they were were advised to leave a tip of around £7 for the table service they received.

But instead of thanking those who served them, they wrote on the receipt: “Sorry not to tip but this price is outrageous”.

Dr.JumbaJookiba 29 Sep 20 02:45 PM

I read about it yesterday, the customer wasn't concerned about price when they added 5 extra topping were they :nonono: And they used AP/DVC to get 10% off so they should be familiar with WDW food prices. :pgig:

Loulou127 29 Sep 20 03:18 PM

And presumably it wasn’t a Brit who didn’t know about tipping etiquette in the USA 😱😱😱

catherinesian 29 Sep 20 04:28 PM

Whilst I admit it does add expenses to a holiday which can be annoying, tipping is a US custom and as tourists we shouldn't be visiting a country if we are not going to respect their customs IMHO.

If they are short of cash, they could take sandwiches into the parks. Or eat at QS places only where a tip is not expected.

YorkshireT 29 Sep 20 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catherinesian (Post 14663335)
Whilst I admit it does add expenses to a holiday which can be annoying, tipping is a US custom and as tourists we shouldn't be visiting a country if we are not going to respect their customs IMHO.

If they are short of cash, they could take sandwiches into the parks. Or eat at QS places only where a tip is not expected.

The last paragraph - have you been watching us?😂

KarenG 29 Sep 20 05:58 PM

Am I the only one wondering which TS this was 😂

And... Facebook cringeposting?! This sounds ... ?!

Dr.JumbaJookiba 29 Sep 20 06:51 PM

Apparently it was a blogger/TA called smartmomsplandisney eating at Via Napoli - she is now getting crucified on various social media sites.

The pizza in question was $24 and the extra toppings she ordered added another $23 - she doubled the price of her pizza.

Another blogger has organised a whip round and the server is now in line for a $600 tip.

keith1973 29 Sep 20 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba (Post 14663503)
Apparently it was a blogger/TA called smartmomsplandisney eating at Via Napoli - she is now getting crucified on various social media sites.

The pizza in question was $24 and the extra toppings she ordered added another $23 - she doubled the price of her pizza.

Another blogger has organised a whip round and the server is now in line for a $600 tip.

That on its own is crazy how can you double the price of a pizza with toppings. But it’s not as if they didn’t know the price I’ve got to say I wouldn’t pay that for a pizza

sha9 29 Sep 20 07:25 PM

Must be a slow news day for the Mirror to be posting a story like this but the name of the Facebook group is apt because this is cringeworthy!

KarenG 29 Sep 20 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba (Post 14663503)

Given the above it feels like Smart Mom and Plans Disney are perhaps not the most apt choice of name ;)

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!