theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Safe way for sweets for Halloween (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1182483)

Gev 28 Oct 20 10:17 AM

Safe way for sweets for Halloween

Hi,

We're one of the unlucky areas to be in Tier 3 :( A neighbour on our street is organising a Halloween trail for local kids, like a treasure hunt, so we are still going to decorate the house and put pumpkins out to take part, but without the trick or treat. (We've no kids ourselves, but still want to participate for the children). Can anyone think of a Covid safe way to put sweets out that children can help themselves to? DH wants to put them on the garden wall, but they'll just get blown off. Not sure a bucket or bag will be Covid safe for them, unless we put hand sanitiser out as well. Thanks! :wave:

Floridarules 28 Oct 20 10:24 AM

Nice idea and the decorations are fine, but honestly I don’t think you should leave sweets out at all. Better to be safe than sorry 😔

BevS97 28 Oct 20 10:37 AM

Our estate is suggesting each parent supplies their own sweets but to still decorate and walk around looking at the houses.

Guest 28 Oct 20 10:40 AM

Our local council are asking that People don’t leave sweets out or encourage trick or treating so i’d just do the decorating.

Gev 28 Oct 20 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floridarules (Post 14695710)
Nice idea and the decorations are fine, but honestly I don’t think you should leave sweets out at all. Better to be safe than sorry 😔

Thank you! Best not, do it then. Just reading on the support group app we have that some are putting sweets out, which did surprise me, but I don't think we'll bother.

Floridadreams 28 Oct 20 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gev (Post 14695689)
Hi,

We're one of the unlucky areas to be in Tier 3 :( A neighbour on our street is organising a Halloween trail for local kids, like a treasure hunt, so we are still going to decorate the house and put pumpkins out to take part, but without the trick or treat. (We've no kids ourselves, but still want to participate for the children). Can anyone think of a Covid safe way to put sweets out that children can help themselves to? DH wants to put them on the garden wall, but they'll just get blown off. Not sure a bucket or bag will be Covid safe for them, unless we put hand sanitiser out as well. Thanks! :wave:

Maybe check with the organiser? I’m sure others in the street will be wondering what to do so it’ll be better to check with them. That way they can let all the neighbours know and no-one is left wondering.
We are also in much stricter lockdown (Republic of Ireland) but live in a very rural area. I put treat bags together for the couple of children that call and dropped them to their house last week. That way Mum can quarantine the bags in time for Saturday!

wanye 28 Oct 20 10:48 AM

what about doing a breaking bad style drug drop by putting sweets down a drainpipe from your door to a safe distance where the kids are?

or might that not be deemed appropriate? :)

Feebee2 28 Oct 20 11:14 AM

I bought £15 worth of swizzlers and other bits yesterday. Even when I was buying them I was thinking this is a bad idea.
I was going to leave them in a bowl by the gate. We are in tier 1 and our village is doing a pumpkin trail.

Megandllsmum 28 Oct 20 11:20 AM

We are tier three, there is a local Facebook page and people have put on if their house is decorated or not or has pumpkin pics in the window and parents are raking the kids round and giving their kids a sweet on their pumpkin trailer of the area, I saw on this morning they are supporting something similar, we are having hot dogs and Halloween treats for tea Saturday and watching hocus pocus, we don't plan on going out on a pumpkin trail ourselves but have had fun decorating the house x

Megandllsmum 28 Oct 20 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanye (Post 14695735)
what about doing a breaking bad style drug drop by putting sweets down a drainpipe from your door to a safe distance where the kids are?

or might that not be deemed appropriate? :)

Is it wrong that I think this is an excellent idea 😂😂, might attract a few dodgy trick or treaters though 🎃🎃😝