theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Year 11's anyone having Prom? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1193823)

mandco 30 Apr 21 08:48 AM

Year 11's anyone having Prom?

ds school sent out an email yesterday saying they are having a prom in June this year
Its at a different place than it usually is and modified to a
3 course sit down dinner followed by DJ & disco
If it gets cancelled due to covid restrictions your ticket cost will be fully refunded

I know prom can be a big deal but I feel like its quite last minute to say they are now having one as not a lot of time to sort out prom dresses/outfits and all the extras. Plus even if the school will refund your ticket price should it get cancelled how likely are you to be able to get a refund on everything else?

ds is disappointed as they were told instead of prom they were going to have a day at a theme park and a end of term party at school but that's now been cancelled

levtweeney 30 Apr 21 08:54 AM

Yes we’re having one. Our school is hiring in a Marquee. The pupils have known for about 10 days and they are buzzing. It’s all they are talking about at the moment. It is really great to see their faces as they have something normal to look forward too. Yes it may be late to inform the pupils but that is no ones fault. As a parent I would just be happy there was something else to focus on, something that resembles a little normality in children’s lives. Go with it and enjoy the fact kids will be having fun and looking good too 😂 🕺 💃

stace 30 Apr 21 09:02 AM

No prom for my DS - I think the day out at a theme park and the marquee at school are great ideas, if they can just wear normal dressy clothes and not "prom outfits" per-se!

Will give them something to look forward to, although my daughter was glad they cancelled their proper "prom" as she is not really a dress person and I know it would have caused lots of stress! I would rather give her some money instead of paying out lots of money for a prom dress she will never wear again etc.

Stace

mandco 30 Apr 21 09:06 AM

nothing to get excited about here as ds is not going - his choice

I'm sure many of them will be excited to be having some kind of prom especially the girls but others like ds are feeling pretty disappointed at the moment as they would have preferred option 1.

DizzyDisneyMum 30 Apr 21 09:11 AM

Dd's school is having a prom on 2nd July. We have had the date since before Christmas but haven't needed to pay anything until now as obviously they weren't sure what would happen. They have changed it this year to 'trainers and tiaras' to give the pupils a bit more choice in what they wear and are not having a sit-down meal.
I have ordered a couple of dresses online this week and I'm hoping she might like one of them as I suspect anything that is a reasonable price will go quite quickly now!

Smilesonfaces 30 Apr 21 10:01 AM

Nothing at all at our school. Daughter is very upset about it really she had looked forward to prom for so long. The school told them there would be no prom even before Christmas. I think they could have made a bit of an effort for them. Other schools seem to be managing.

Orlando 2004 30 Apr 21 10:06 AM

As far as we know prom will be on the 9th July but we haven't had any details since about November. The venue had already been provisionally booked last year before covid but we're waiting to hear if it's still going ahead. DD does have a dress that we also bought early last year but it may need adjusting. Think she wants to wear Converse with it. She txt me excited this morning as she thinks the leavers hoodies have arrived.

archibald 30 Apr 21 10:13 AM

Two at our school, one for this year and one for last. Have been told not to buy anything/arrange transport incase of changes.

Rac20 30 Apr 21 10:16 AM

DS is having a prom but they have to earn their right to go by having a card stamped if they do extra revision etc. He has one stamp currently. Not because he hasn’t been doing the revision but because he won’t ask his teacher for a stamp. Who knows how religiously it’s enforced.🤷🏼 He seems pretty confident that he’ll still be able to go. Wouldn’t say he’s over the moon excited but I’m glad that for other children who are really looking forward to it, that they get a much more “normal” ending to the year compared to the poor year 11s last year.

Helen J 30 Apr 21 10:41 AM

I think school are hoping prom will take place this year.

My son is in year 13 and they are having a leavers party, this will take place at the end of June. They are having a sit down meal, DJ and disco (all covid permitting of course)

If all restrictions are able to be lifted on 21st June, then there is no reason why these events can't take place.