theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Wren White gloss kitchens (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1194407)

scotsprincess 9 May 21 07:37 AM

Wren White gloss kitchens

Hi
I’m going into wren today to look for a new kitchen. I quite like the white gloss look. Any pros and cons with it ? I’m I better getting wren to get and do absolutely everything to save hassle ?
Thanks 😊

parisdisneyfan 9 May 21 07:59 AM

I had white gloss in my last kitchen. Fair enough the kids were older so no sticky fingers but I found it easy to look after, just had to wipe and dry/buff rather than leave to dry. It very reflected the light and was great in the darker room that we had. Have fun😉

Blue nose 9 May 21 09:49 AM

I have white gloss and not sure if I would again tbh.

We have cats and teenages and it looks filthy most of the time.

We use an antibacterial spray and tea towel to clean so really quick but it shows every marks, spill or streak.

I've recently been looking at kitchens withy mum and the trend seems to be away from gloss now and a matt/sheen type.

Hopefulholiday 9 May 21 09:57 AM

We have a white gloss kitchen, I like it as very bright and fresh but it does show finger marks (ours in handleless) water splashes etc. I’ve got some e-cloths to clean it though so just need water, wipe with damp cloth and buff so no need for cleaning products. I only do a thorough polish every few weeks but the high traffic area, fridge door, coffee cupboard do need doing very regularly if the finger marks bother you - I try to ignore them :grin:

NewtoOrlando 9 May 21 10:07 AM

We have a white gloss kitchen (Howdens) and thinking about it now, I wish we didnt! It shows every single mark, and no matter how much I clean it, there is always another mark or grubby fingerprints! With a dog, 2 teens who seem to be unable to wipe anything down, it always looks dirty! I am constantly spraying and wiping the units!

Moorlandman 9 May 21 11:23 AM

We have an old white gloss kitchen (15 years) and visitors often comment how new and shiny it looks. In reality, it’s well worn but it looks great at a glance or from a distance and makes the room brighter.

It’s due for replacement soon but would happily keep to gloss white.

top4 9 May 21 11:42 AM

My friend had white gloss and she did say "Never again" ...constant wiping, marks show ,and apparently it constantly looked grubby .
We're in the process of ordering our new kitchen from 'DIY kitchens ' after Wren don't quite do what I'm after...

colin39 9 May 21 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotsprincess (Post 14953250)
Hi
I’m going into wren today to look for a new kitchen. I quite like the white gloss look. Any pros and cons with it ? I’m I better getting wren to get and do absolutely everything to save hassle ?
Thanks 😊

I love our wren white units, what 8 love even more is i did all this without help

This was what i had to work with

This is what we ended up with

The black/carbon grey units are DIY kitchens nowhere near as good quality, and i had these specially made to sizes they cost nearly as much as the white kitchen units.
Pro's
well made 18months in no problems we use glass cleaner and microfibre cloth
All went together no issues NB:- lay everything out before finalizing.
The guy that designed it was great very helpfull and the only problem we did have he resolved (i added an insulation board and moved the boiler which threw the kitchen out 50mm) and 50mm in a kitchen as small as ours was huge.
We went with the quartz work top, love this so much. The guy that twmplated it asked all the right questions and made some great recommendations, my dad who has always worked in the building trade bohoo'd some of his advises, until the worktop was fitted and dad agreed his sugestions were the right ones.
Con's
Wren? none
Cda extractor is crap never again had it fixed twice
wouldnt buy anything from diy kitchens again the build quality between the 2 is night and day.

Advises:- square and level, make sure if you are doing the fitting make sure your units arnt just level but square this helps when adjusting the doors, i took 2 days fitting and making sure i was square i never adjusted any doors they are perfect.

Sorry for all the pic's , so prode of my achievement and result 👍

Good luck.

Colin

colin39 9 May 21 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by top4 (Post 14953633)
My friend had white gloss and she did say "Never again" ...constant wiping, marks show ,and apparently it constantly looked grubby .
We're in the process of ordering our new kitchen from 'DIY kitchens ' after Wren don't quite do what I'm after...

Never again poor quality hinges badly made and assembled
Just pinned and doweled units no glue.
Wrens units were 2 pack glued and the hinges are a huge amount better
1 unit delivered damaged 4 times yes there qc before it goes into the truck is great, but when it arrives delivered by a 18year old that thinks he is driving for grand theft auto trying to evade the police the back of the truck looked like a seconds warehouse.
In the end i used parts from the damaged units to make 1 almost right unit and have had to live with it, no compensation or even a sorry.
This unit needed to be fitted first as the while wall lay out was set by this unit.
So i had to make do.
Good luck👍

Mr Tom Morrow 9 May 21 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin39 (Post 14953667)
I love our wren white units, what 8 love even more is i did all this without help

This was what i had to work with

This is what we ended up with

The black/carbon grey units are DIY kitchens nowhere near as good quality, and i had these specially made to sizes they cost nearly as much as the white kitchen units.
Pro's
well made 18months in no problems we use glass cleaner and microfibre cloth
All went together no issues NB:- lay everything out before finalizing.
The guy that designed it was great very helpfull and the only problem we did have he resolved (i added an insulation board and moved the boiler which threw the kitchen out 50mm) and 50mm in a kitchen as small as ours was huge.
We went with the quartz work top, love this so much. The guy that twmplated it asked all the right questions and made some great recommendations, my dad who has always worked in the building trade bohoo'd some of his advises, until the worktop was fitted and dad agreed his sugestions were the right ones.
Con's
Wren? none
Cda extractor is crap never again had it fixed twice
wouldnt buy anything from diy kitchens again the build quality between the 2 is night and day.

Advises:- square and level, make sure if you are doing the fitting make sure your units arnt just level but square this helps when adjusting the doors, i took 2 days fitting and making sure i was square i never adjusted any doors they are perfect.

Sorry for all the pic's , so prode of my achievement and result 👍

Good luck.

Colin

Colin. Really nicely done, well done on your work.

True words about being square. Far too much reliance placed on laser lines and spirit levels and then find the units are 'twisted' Always square up.

A good framing square is a good bit of kit to have. Preferably 2ft at least. Saves measuring the diagonals.