theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Owning a dog and being out at work? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1129409)

Animagus 19 May 19 08:04 PM

Owning a dog and being out at work?

Our DD is 12 and she has always wanted a pet. I had a dog growing up and she was a much loved member of the family.

We would love a dog but have avoided getting one up to now, as DH works full time and I work part time (3 days a week) and we didn’t like the idea of leaving a dog alone for several hours on some days. Now that DD is at secondary (and only 5 mins away), she could come home at lunch on my work days and, the rest of the time, there would always be somebody around. We would look into getting a dog walker/sitter too.

Have any dibbers made this or a similar situation work?

I know a cat would be easier, but both DD and I are allergic.
All opinions welcome. Thanks :grin:

hexagon 19 May 19 08:10 PM

That’s when we got my current dog. I walked home at lunchtime and gave it a quick walk. Parents worked full time. It worked well. Dog had a little pen in the kitchen, then run of the kitchen when it was a bit older.

As long as your daughter will stick to her end of the bargain, I think it would work well and is a good idea. Or you get a dog walker.

mitch84 19 May 19 08:16 PM

All I would say, is that it’s very hard as a puppy, as if you get it at 8 weeks old, you are literally taking it out for wee’s every 20 mins.
I work 8.30-5, but my husband works 7-2, so he gets left from 8-2.15. That’s ok now he’s bigger, but was very tricky and we needed a lot of help when he was a tiny pup.
I walk him for 45 mins before work every day, rain, snow, hail etc, and he gets a good 2 hours running around of an evening so he really just sleeps 8-2.
Maybe the beginning of your DD’s summer hols so you can get the dog trained?

princessgem 19 May 19 08:16 PM

We both work full time and have a dog. He is 18 months old now and we haven’t looked back. It was stressful at first I felt awful leaving him but there are only 4 days in the week when we are both at work all day, two of those days we have a dog walker take him for an hour (which he loves she is brilliant), and the other two I come back at lunch for 30-40 mins and play with him/let him out.

We had put off getting one for the same reasons as you but discussed it and realised there will never be a good time to have one there will always be obstacles, our dog does not go without and he gets so much attention from us otherwise.

I’m sure some people will disagree as I have seen on here before, and every dog is different! For us and our lovely dog it has worked out well and he is a happy little thing.

princessgem 19 May 19 08:18 PM

I need to add we didn’t have him from a puppy we rehomed him at about 10 months old so he was already toilet trained.

Also we have family close by so if we were ever stuck MIL or my mum would help!

soooexcited! 19 May 19 08:20 PM

I think the biggest bit of advice my friend gave me when I got ours is don't rely on the kids to always help out. What happens when they want to go out all day can you get home? The longest I like to leave our dog is 4 hours but I know my DD leaves him longer If I don't ring and chase her up. Both my children made lots of promises to walk Bill I can't remember the last time they did.

floridasgirl 19 May 19 08:24 PM

Is your dd actually allowed out of school at lunch? I know none of the schools round here allow pupils off site during the day.

jools1302 19 May 19 08:35 PM

Hi there,

I also work 3 days a week but get school holidays so luckily we got our puppy (now 4) at the beginning of the holidays so it gave us a good amount of time to spend with her before we returned to work/school. It was harder when she was tiny and for a long period of time I was lucky enough to have family who could spend some time with her during the day playing in my garden or taking her for a walk. I always take her out every morning before work (we live in the country so lots of space for running off energy) and for 2 days a week she stays at home alone from 9 till 4 - she became very reluctant to go out with my sis-in-law who walked her for me, and it became a waste of time her popping in as Roxy would be sleeping soundly in my bedroom and wouldn’t even lift her head when she called her to go out! She is a very calm, relaxed dog and doesn’t need a huge amount of exercise (read as she is a lazy lump! ) so this has worked out for me.
I hope you can work something out that suits your family.

olgaandcoda 19 May 19 08:35 PM

We had our last dog in a kennel in the garden, which was enclosed and big. The neighbours kept him company at times, but I was only minutes away and worked short hours. Plus I took him for an hours run before work, and straight after work. He was only allowed in the house when we were home, and overnight too. It saved so much possible damage to carpets and things.
My boys did walk him once he was trained, but I realised the bulk of the work would be down to me, and it was!

Lisa123wm 19 May 19 08:44 PM

I wouldn’t rely on your daughter too much tbh. It took years for my kids and hubby to convince me to get a dog, but the kids don’t really look after him.
I’m home all day, if I worked we wouldn’t have even considered getting a dog. I knew it would end up with me doing almost everything, but I am happy with that. I have trained him (he’s always attended classes since he was a puppy) and I walk him etc (hubby too when he’s at home).
We have a 4 hour rule that we stick too. If we are all out, then he’s never left alone for more than 4 hours. Dogs are social animals and as well as needing the toilet and walks, they need company.