theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Which small car-mid car? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1148944)

Rac20 9 Oct 19 09:22 PM

Which small car-mid car?

Hi all!

I’m currently driving an 09 corsa that has seen better days and we are looking to replace it soon.

Thought I’d ask for recommendations from the Dibb as I’m stumped as to what to go for.

We have a Ford Kuga as our main family car so the main purpose of the smaller car is for my commute to work. 90% of the time, it will just be me. We do live in the Pennines and I frequently have to drive up what feels like fully vertical hills with only just enough room for two cars to pass (sometimes there isn’t even that!) which is why I’d like a small car but it does need enough power to manage the hills.

I’ve had a look at fiestas. (The eco boosts seem popular and even though they are 1 litre, my neighbour has one and says it copes fine with the hills?)
I like the look of the DS3s but there are lots of mixed reviews online about reliability and parts needing replacing even though the car has hardly done any mileage etc.

Any recommendations would be great. Thank you.

Puddle5 9 Oct 19 09:29 PM

I have a 1.0 Toyota Yaris
I find it very nippy and a really good turning circle, We live half way up a mountain and it has no problems with hills!
Very reliable, front seats slightly hard but a nice drive and very good on petrol.

Rac20 9 Oct 19 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddle5 (Post 14118516)
I have a 1.0 Toyota Yaris
I find it very nippy and a really good turning circle, We live half way up a mountain and it has no problems with hills!
Very reliable, front seats slightly hard but a nice drive and very good on petrol.

My very first car that I bought was a Yaris. I really liked it but sold it when I had DS as I wanted 5 doors to get his car seat in. They do the hybrid version as well which I suppose is something to consider.

Unexpectedpenny 9 Oct 19 09:52 PM

I have a Hyundai i10. Small but roomy inside, great for petrol and handles the steep hills near me with no issues :thumbs-up

Gryff 9 Oct 19 09:53 PM

I have a Toyota Aygo lovevit and I've always driven big cars a grand Cherokee was my last car
DH actually uses it more expensive than me he's got a pick up
Easy to park loads of toys Apple play etc great mileage takes 2 car seats big seats for the Grand kids
Back seat folds for the big shop good vision and comfortable driving position for us both DH is 6/1 I'm 5ft on a good day in heels

Islanders 9 Oct 19 09:56 PM

I love my Honda Jazz and as a community nurse have some very challenging roads to get to patients house and he never lets me down and deceptively spacious.

tink111 9 Oct 19 10:01 PM

I have a mazda 2! It’s an automatic and is a great little car! I went from a corsa to this and it’s been a good change. A lot more room inside the car but it doesn’t feel too big to drive at all!

vickitoria10 9 Oct 19 10:03 PM

I have a seat Ibiza, I was looking for a mid size car a couple of years ago to upgrade from a 107 to fit a buggy in the boot and 2 kids. I found out if them all it was the best value for money. It’s a fab car and I’m really happy with my choice.

Ds4ljs 9 Oct 19 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islanders (Post 14118581)
I love my Honda Jazz and as a community nurse have some very challenging roads to get to patients house and he never lets me down and deceptively spacious.

Love mine too!

danisleigh 9 Oct 19 11:04 PM

I just changed my car to something slightly bigger but I previously had a VW polo and loved it. I had a 2016 1.2 TSI Which was surprisingly nippy but good fuel economy and £20 per year tax.