theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Using cc for everything inc tips instead of cash? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1129338)

duchy 19 May 19 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazascouser (Post 13854300)
I find it amazing that people don’t take a bit of cash even for tipping. I always carry some cash for small purchases and even for emergencies ie lost credit cards.

We wouldn't need it for lost credit cards as we never keep the main and backup cards completely seperate . I know some people like to tip in cash so need more but our last trip I seriously didn't need to spend a penny in cash (two weeks Orlando, Tampa and Vero ) except for tipping the Little Toot captain.

tspill 19 May 19 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazascouser (Post 13854300)
I find it amazing that people don’t take a bit of cash even for tipping. I always carry some cash for small purchases and even for emergencies ie lost credit cards.

You can tip with card. You can make small purchases with card. Have a couple of cards in case one gets lost etc. Easy. Not so amazing at all really.

Nells77 19 May 19 08:13 PM

I’m planning on taking $200 plus credit card on QSDP.
Can I ask at what point you have to pay off your magic bands? Is it a certain amount? And how much does everyone tip for their room cleaning? Staying at CBR if that makes any difference?

Thanks

GezzasGem 19 May 19 08:41 PM

Can I ask if you all have a cc such as Halifax clarity in these instances? Mine is a standard cc and so I don't charge anything to it due to transaction fees plus Visa does not have a good exchange rate only MasterCard -it's just with me for an emergency. Tend to take a revolut card which I then clear room charges every few days

duchy 19 May 19 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GezzasGem (Post 13854560)
Can I ask if you all have a cc such as Halifax clarity in these instances? Mine is a standard cc and so I don't charge anything to it, it's just with me for an emergency. Tend to take a revolut card which I then use to clear room charges every few days

Yes ... our Clarity card is basically our holiday card , use it for everything travel related, even booking flights and pay it off the same month.
I never take more physical cash than my insurance covers anyway which is only a few hundred ... I used to work on repatriation flights for insurance companies so do understand the "it'll never happen to me" mindset but know only too well it can and does.

GezzasGem 19 May 19 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nells77 (Post 13854473)
I’m planning on taking $200 plus credit card on QSDP.
Can I ask at what point you have to pay off your magic bands? Is it a certain amount? And how much does everyone tip for their room cleaning? Staying at CBR if that makes any difference?

Thanks

I believe housekeeping is an untipped position so not expected, but several people on here stick to the dollar per person per day plan. We previously left a more substantial tip at end of hols but when realised you don't always get same cleaner each day changed to the above

GezzasGem 19 May 19 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duchy (Post 13854566)
Yes ... our Clarity card is basically our holiday card , use it for everything travel related, even booking flights and pay it off the same month.

Have just got myself a virgin rewards plus credit card to start clocking up some air miles in anticipation of next trip (and planning on paying off our 2 hols this year with it to get my extra bonus miles 😄 ) but am tempted to apply for one of these for the zero fee, MasterCard exchange rate. Barclaycard not offering me much of an incentive to stay with them tbh!

RobandLynsey 19 May 19 08:52 PM

My brother in law lives in the states and always pays tips with cash as he says he can ensure it goes to the right person. We always just use CC as it's easier and most seem to do that.

One word of warning, do use a CC rather than a debit card as they do walk off with it (I nearly went mad the first time that happened). I have mistakenly used a debit card in a restaurant in Vegas and a month later my bank account got rinsed, it may have been a co-incidence but it was definitely someone using a cloned card. I now never use my debit card abroad unless I need more cash. If your credit card gets done then at least you aren't out of pocket as it isn't really your money