theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 10 - Perth and a Long Rapids Run (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1039102)

Melbatb 4 Aug 17 02:28 AM

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 10 - Perth and a Long Rapids Run

I slept from 10pm until 7 am - a lot of sleep for me.

Everyone sorted out their own breakfasts (I have them well trained ;) ) Mine was a maple bagel

We had a new visitor to the river - Mrs Duck and her ducklings!

As it was cloudy, we decided to head into Perth.

How to describe Perth...

It has a population of about 6,000. One of the main Ontarian trunk roads runs through the outskirts but there is a thriving town centre - lots of shops (craft, clothes, books being the main ones) together with lots of restaurants (high end to pubs to diners) and cafes (trendy coffee shop to old fashioned ones).

The biggest thing we noticed was the demographics - the population is very much over 60 - indeed it seems that the town markets itself as a great place to retire! It is actually mice to see a thriving older population enjoying life!

F and I went to the fabric shop where she chose 4 fabrics to buy for dolls clothes! The lady cutting the fabric also gave her some offcuts as after F explained she made dolls' clothes!

After we picked up the boys at one of the cafes, we went for a second visit to Canadian Tire as J wanted to look at the tools! Thankfully nothing was purchased ;)

Back at the cabin I made tortilla pizzas followed by the rest of the apple pie! The others need the energy for the afternoon activity!

Yes - more rafting. After much scouting and map research, J decided it was viable to do the second part of the rapids run.

They all wore life jackets. The plan was yo do the first part from the cabin to the usual end point and then continue to a pre-arranged meet up point about 8km down the river in about 2 hours. J even drew a map of all the reference points which he said was most useful.

I tidied up and started sorting out the packing cubes as we move on on Saturday morning.

I drove down to the meet up point arriving about 1h45. The river is called the Mississippi but we have come to the conclusion that it isn't related to the US state!

I faffed around taking photos but eventually the call if nature became too strong (tmi? ) and I had to whizz back to the cabin.

Of course, by the time I had got back they were there and I was annoyed (at myself) for missing the photo opportunities!

That will be remedied tomorrow as they want to do it again - and F will take the waterproof camera too!

Back at the cabin we had a simple tea of beans on toast! Then off for our usual desert!

Oreo blizzard for me!

When we got back the kids retired to their room and J and I watched a bit of American football before heading to bed!

app 4 Aug 17 02:54 AM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 4 Aug 17 2:54 AM.

Jake71 4 Aug 17 08:39 AM

Perth sounds like the ideal place to retire, wishful thinking!

WileyCoyote 4 Aug 17 10:15 AM

Another great day, Perth sounds intriguing !
All caught up, hurrah. Looking forward to next day's adventures

OB1LukeLucas 4 Aug 17 11:51 AM

I think I would be a bit reluctant to go in the ring down the river too but I'd be tempted to do the short run having watched all the fun for the past few days...then again maybe not after my near death experience in the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon-I exaggerate greatly by the way but it felt like that in my moment of panic:omg: I look forward to your next move, are you back to the same cabin as last year?

Melbatb 5 Aug 17 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 12729448)
Perth sounds like the ideal place to retire, wishful thinking!

It is so lovely to see such a happy retired population - it seems so very sociable!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 12729659)
Another great day, Perth sounds intriguing !
All caught up, hurrah. Looking forward to next day's adventures

You did well ;)

Perth definitely is intriguing! It really is a lively town considering its remoteness!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas (Post 12729930)
I think I would be a bit reluctant to go in the ring down the river too but I'd be tempted to do the short run having watched all the fun for the past few days...then again maybe not after my near death experience in the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon-I exaggerate greatly by the way but it felt like that in my moment of panic:omg: I look forward to your next move, are you back to the same cabin as last year?

I haven't done the rings - a bit of a scardy cat! It is a shame that we needed a driver ;)

Tomorrow is Montreal for a festival and then on Monday we are back to a cottage we stayed in 2 years ago! We loved it there - I just hope it meets up to our memories!

JoS 5 Aug 17 03:36 AM

Perth sounds like a nice place. One thing I found a bit strange when I came here was the amount of really older people driving...I am no spring chicken :) Maybe because we have no bus service to speak of here in town so people drive everywhere.
Lovely day and another new adventure tomorrow. Looking forward to sharing with you.

mick 5 Aug 17 10:20 AM

Another great day, your family are enjoying messing about on the river:spin:

Joan :wave:

LuvPluto 6 Aug 17 08:04 AM

Perth sounds lovely. Glad they enjoyed the rapids run.

Melbatb 6 Aug 17 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoS (Post 12731769)
Perth sounds like a nice place. One thing I found a bit strange when I came here was the amount of really older people driving...I am no spring chicken :) Maybe because we have no bus service to speak of here in town so people drive everywhere.
Lovely day and another new adventure tomorrow. Looking forward to sharing with you.

I didn't think of the driving but you are right! Driving is easy over here (well except in the big cities! )

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 12732179)
Another great day, your family are enjoying messing about on the river:spin:

Joan :wave:

You know us - give us water and we will have fun ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvPluto (Post 12734541)
Perth sounds lovely. Glad they enjoyed the rapids run.

Perth grew on me! It was such a lively little town!