theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 13 - Montreal Wax, Cathedral and a Festival (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1039685)

Melbatb 7 Aug 17 03:20 AM

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 13 - Montreal Wax, Cathedral and a Festival

Happy birthday to my favourite son ;) - was it only 16 years ago that you came into our lives :) ?

Breakfast was a bit of a disaster as the (new) oven burnt the cinnamon rolls! (Not my fault, of course! )

After breakfast, we drove to MEC - a mountaineering/outdoor pursuits store!

First things first, coffee was needed and the hungry teen also needed more food - in his case this was fruit with yoghurt and honey!

We wandered off - F found some great bargains on the sale rail (a pair of shorts and 3 t-shirts) while J got some cycling sleeves (don't ask ;) )

We then headed back to the apartment!

When we got back, the bands were put on wrists (no tickets needed ;) ) and off we went again!

We all took the metro and got off at Berri-UQAM - and then split up. The boys went to find lunch there before heading to the Osheaga Festival whilst F and I changed stations to go back to the Eaton Centre.

F fancied what O had yesterday - teriyaki salmon. I had veggie sushi again and a mango smoothie.

F wanted to visit the Waxwork place - so we did :D

No Trump waxwork yet!

Some of them were well done, some we had no idea who they were, and others were frankly little like who they were meant to be!

Lots of movie stars - I stood a better chance at recognition here!

Having said that, some Canadian history has rubbed off on us over the years as we knew a lot of the names on the historical section!

They had a wax hand activity - for C$10. F was thrilled to have a go. Basically she had her hand dipped in wax - she chose how she holds her hand for sucking her fingers! Then the wax glove was eased off and then dipped in coloured wax.

It was a good use of $10! Just hope we get it home in one piece!

I got an iMessage off O - he must have got close to the stage! For the uneducated this is Zara Larsson! He was keen to see her!

Good to see he got fed too ;)

We then went to Notre-Dame Cathedral - my choice of activity!

There was a bit of a queue as you had to pay to go in (a very reasonable C$10). It was spectacular inside.

I love stained glass windows! Shame about the more modern Exit sign though ;)

The wood carvings were very intricate too!

It was very busy as you might expect. Definitely worth a visit!

We walked down to the Vieux Port. You can just make out the Biodome in the distance. The concert was taking place near there.

The Montreal Eye is not yet complete! There are lots of attractions - a zipline (F decided not to go on it as I wouldn't (I do a lot of things outside my comfort zone but having done ziplining when I went to Las Vegas I swore I would never do it again! ), a climbing pirate boat, an escape room to name a few!

There had also been the men's race of the World Triathlon Series so lots of roads had been blocked off!

There was also the Ribfest! As non meat eaters not really our thing ;)

It was very popular though with long queues for some stalls! They all proudly had notices about the prizes they had won at various festivals all over North America!

We had decided on Eggspectation for dinner so wandered through the streets to get there as we were starting to get peckish.

F had fried eggs, Lyonnais potatoes and toast! She declared it was delicious!

I had a grilled cheese with maple dressed caramelized apples and onions, fries and salad! A strange combination but very tasty! I haven't needed to eat since then though ;)

This cost C$23 and I left a C$7 tip! No dessert needed!

On the way to the metro we cane across a Christmas shop! Lots of customers!

We got a Canadian beaver tree ornament!

We caught the metro back.

I did a wash as I was on my last pair of underwear ;)

Now I am trying to stay awake to let the boys in! Only one set of keys so we obviously had them!

app 7 Aug 17 04:01 AM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 7 Aug 17 4:01 AM.

Jake71 7 Aug 17 09:41 AM

What a really interesting day. Ribfest - one of our favourite things to visit when we're in Canada - we are meat eaters and DH loves ribs so we always try to find a Ribfest nearby. It's always a brilliant day out for us. The cathedral looks beautiful.

LuvPluto 7 Aug 17 02:27 PM

What a lovely day. Beautiful cathedral. I'm with you on the zipline, I'd have passed on that too. Hope the boys enjoyed their day 😀

mick 7 Aug 17 04:57 PM

A lovely day :spin:

Glad your son had a great birthday and enjoyed his treat

Joan :wave:

WileyCoyote 7 Aug 17 07:38 PM

What a great day, love the waxworks and the cathedral and we would love Ribfest! Good to see the boys having fun too... Hope they are back fine. Great day for everyone .. And I love the Xmas shop. And being starving right now, the eggs and tater tots look blooming delicious.

Melbatb 8 Aug 17 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 12737524)
What a really interesting day. Ribfest - one of our favourite things to visit when we're in Canada - we are meat eaters and DH loves ribs so we always try to find a Ribfest nearby. It's always a brilliant day out for us. The cathedral looks beautiful.

I have never been to one before as you can imagine it is so not our thing :D but the atmosphere was really good too!

The cathedral really was stunning inside! Despite the crowds it really was a peaceful place. I may have to go back when I go to Montreal in February (if I get a chance! )

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvPluto (Post 12738244)
What a lovely day. Beautiful cathedral. I'm with you on the zipline, I'd have passed on that too. Hope the boys enjoyed their day 😀

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 12738595)
A lovely day :spin:

Glad your son had a great birthday and enjoyed his treat

Joan :wave:

Thanks Joan! I ummed and ahhed a lot about the festival as we had everything booked but I am so pleased that I did get them tickets as he pronounced it the best thing ever - even better than David Ghetta who he saw a few weeks ago. He keeps on coming up to J and I and giving us big hugs to say thank you :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 12738987)
What a great day, love the waxworks and the cathedral and we would love Ribfest! Good to see the boys having fun too... Hope they are back fine. Great day for everyone .. And I love the Xmas shop. And being starving right now, the eggs and tater tots look blooming delicious.

They got back fine! Took about 2 hours (125,000 people on an island with one metro stop!) but O was on such a high about it all! J was just knackered! He said he was the oldest by about 20 years ;)

Bianca 8 Aug 17 01:56 PM

A Peanuts card! :thumb: You have excellent taste!

Shame about the cinnamon rolls. Bad oven! (A good baker always blames her/his tools. ;);):pgig::pgig:)

That mango smoothie looks delicious. :tongue: And reading ahead, Eggspectation looks really good, too.

The waxwork museum looks interesting. I like the Trump model! ;) And the hand dipping looks fun and good value.

Very glad to see O was enjoying his birthday treat. (I may have had to google Zara Larsson.:blush:)

Hope you enjoyed your DM/DD time.

:wavey:

Melbatb 8 Aug 17 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bianca (Post 12741010)
A Peanuts card! :thumb: You have excellent taste!

Shame about the cinnamon rolls. Bad oven! (A good baker always blames her/his tools. ;);):pgig::pgig:)

That mango smoothie looks delicious. :tongue: And reading ahead, Eggspectation looks really good, too.

The waxwork museum looks interesting. I like the Trump model! ;) And the hand dipping looks fun and good value.

Very glad to see O was enjoying his birthday treat. (I may have had to google Zara Larsson.:blush:)

Hope you enjoyed your DM/DD time.

:wavey:

I had to google her too - J said she was actually one of the best acts - she put on a really good show! I think O's love of concerts and festivals could cost me dearly :D

I had a really lovely afternoon with F - she loves being with her mum :heart:

Guest 10 Aug 17 08:32 PM

Notre Dame is very beautiful - I went to Mass there back in 1999. :) And aww...a Charlie Brown card.

I have noted "Eggspectation" - am off for a Google now...ah, it's a chain - they have them in India, too! :wavey: