theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 6: Shopping and the Village (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1068207)

Melbatb 1 Mar 18 01:55 AM

Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 6: Shopping and the Village

I managed to sleep to about 5.30am but the last hour was a bit restless!

Breakfast was still the same - I had cinnamon toast, juice and coffee!

At about 8.15am I left to go to class. Rain was forecast today but this morning the sky was blue!

The underground walkway system really is great! I imagine it is even better when it is -20C but even on days like today I enjoy using it (especially now I have got my bearings!) One of the big advantages for me is the lack of crossings - and often crowds! There really is a whole world of shops and malls in the tunnels! I keep coming across shopping areas I never knew existed!

I got myself a Starbucks flat white which seems to be the trendy drink of the moment. Still not sure how it is different to a latte - any suggestions gladly received!

I was first into class. Two of my classmate seem to have disappeared - I know neither of them were happy with being in this class.

Theme of the day - how you should dress for work! Homework was given.

I wandered about the area (near the Notre Dame Cathedral). I liked this building with the clock. It reminded me of parts of New York.

My statue tour has encouraged me to look more at what us around me!

This statue is a monument yo Marguerite Bourgeoys - she was the founder of the Congregation of Notre Dame of Montreal in Quebec and has since been declared a saint.

I took a different route back in order to see a part of the Berlin Wall. This was donated to Montreal in 1993.
I had passed it on Sunday but didn't realize the significance of it!

I went back to Ben & Florentine and had avocado toast with eggs - an odd combination but very tasty.

I spent lunch iMessaging with F. I asked her if there was anything else she wanted and she asked if there was a Children's Place nearby for some t-shirts.

A quick google showed there were several. The nearest involved the metro and a bus but one a little further out was on the metro line that my nearest station was on. Easy choice to make (I don't like buses!)

After dropping off my folder at the hotel and iMessaging with O a little, I headed out again! I bought a 3 day pass - I could use it to get to the airport on Friday.

The metro took about 25 minutes to get to Radisson station. The mall was just across the road from the exit!

I managed to find 5 t-shirts I thought F would like (the advice had bern no Hello Kitty and not babyish! )

They were 50% off so C$37 for all 5 - not bad! And F gets 5 t-shirts her mates don't have!

Even in the mall I found a statue - outside J's favourite Canadian store!

I got off at Patineau so I could walk through the Village. I lived the view down yo the Biosphere in the distance. I didn't manage to capture it very well.

The housing stock was interesting too.

The area developed as the hub for the Gay community. It had a lovely ambiance which coupled with the interesting buildings made me appreciate why it was a popular area to live in.

It started to drizzle but thankfully I wasn't too far from the next metro stop. It was only 3 stops until I got off and it wasn't long until I was back at the hotel.

I decided to attack my homework which took about an hour.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to eat. I admit to getting fed up of eating out !

I wandered around the food court in the Eaton Centre but nothing yelled out to me!

I decided to grab a beetroot burger from Copper Branch but to take it back to the hotel. That involved a very quick walk so I could get it back still warm. The burger was really nice but, as usual, I couldn't eat it all

It is now 8.30pm. I have again managed to walk a lot - 19,296 steps which equated to over 14.5 km! I can't see me lasting much longer before flaking out!

app 1 Mar 18 02:34 AM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 1 Mar 18 1:34 AM.

Jake71 1 Mar 18 10:21 AM

Lots of walking again and some really interesting statues. I didn't realise they had underground walkways - but can understand why with temperatures getting so low. We are freezing here today but not even close to -20! (we're just outside the Red Warning Zone).

mick 1 Mar 18 11:17 AM

Lots more walking and a bit of shopping too:spin:

Joan :wave:

Melbatb 1 Mar 18 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 13102108)
Lots of walking again and some really interesting statues. I didn't realise they had underground walkways - but can understand why with temperatures getting so low. We are freezing here today but not even close to -20! (we're just outside the Red Warning Zone).

It is similar to the PATH system in Toronto. It really is a most useful way of getting around and their signage is actually quite good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 13102167)
Lots more walking and a bit of shopping too:spin:

Joan :wave:

I should just rename this the walking tour! :D:D:D:D:D

OB1LukeLucas 1 Mar 18 02:13 PM

So what should you wear for work? Une jupe-sorry school days French pops in my head! Good shopping mixed in with the usual walk around, I miss those carefree days of you having a break sitting reading on your kindle taking my favourite sunset photos. I think your going to need a relaxing few days before you return to work. Enjoying all your photos-how strange to find the Berlin Wall.

Goldia 1 Mar 18 09:13 PM

The tunnels do sound interesting and a really good idea to keep out of the cold. They would be handy in NYC so that you don't have to wait at every crossing to cross over the road.

I'm somewhat incredulous that your company sent you from France to Canada to learn what to wear for work! Although the very specific advice you have received from F regarding which t shirts are acceptable to buy now makes sense, She obviously knows your fashion sense needs work!

Melbatb 2 Mar 18 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas (Post 13102447)
So what should you wear for work? Une jupe-sorry school days French pops in my head! Good shopping mixed in with the usual walk around, I miss those carefree days of you having a break sitting reading on your kindle taking my favourite sunset photos. I think your going to need a relaxing few days before you return to work. Enjoying all your photos-how strange to find the Berlin Wall.

I think my feet are missing my kindle sunset photos - hopefully will be back in summer!

Ad to what to wear to work - it all depends on what you do ;)

Melbatb 2 Mar 18 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldia (Post 13103188)
The tunnels do sound interesting and a really good idea to keep out of the cold. They would be handy in NYC so that you don't have to wait at every crossing to cross over the road.

I'm somewhat incredulous that your company sent you from France to Canada to learn what to wear for work! Although the very specific advice you have received from F regarding which t shirts are acceptable to buy now makes sense, She obviously knows your fashion sense needs work!

I really do like the tunnels - such a great idea! I keep finding new offshoots! There really is a whole world down there!

The what to wear to work discussion was just to get us talking ;) and justifying our thoughts! And my fashion sense definitely needs work! As my teenager knows ;)

WileyCoyote 2 Mar 18 09:12 AM

I like the dead of the hidden underground world , practical and less crowded ! Fab bargains and more statues... Perfect. Glad the classes seem to be ok for you, obviously not everyone's taste though. A bit like the beetroot burger..mmm, not fancying that myself , is it nice?