theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   FairFX? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1192141)

gjdjud 3 Apr 21 09:10 PM

FairFX?

I’ve had a FairFx USD card for years and got a new one last year valid until 2023. I didn’t use it much but was thinking of adding some a minimal amount of funds I can keep separate a little at a time to add up the equivalent cost of a few days of the dining plan. Went on the app and saw it’s all changed to a new currency card and I must add £50 to get the new card. Is this correct? I know I’m going to have to add money on it eventually but bit peeved they’ve changed it and my valid card isn’t actually valid.

lmartin 3 Apr 21 09:14 PM

Not used FairFX for a few years, have you looked at any alternatives? I personally use Revolut but am a Metal subscriber and use it for other purposes other than travel.

gjdjud 3 Apr 21 09:17 PM

I have Revolut and a Starling Card. I just wanted something totally separate just for one thing and thought I’d use the FairFX as I already had what I thought was a valid card.

tocpe321 3 Apr 21 09:36 PM

I've been with FairFx for a number of years, and Revolut more recent times.
I've recently reviewed my options and always like to have a look at Money Saving Expert.
FairFx isn't one of the top recommended ones for MSE, although it used to be. Revolut is still recommended. I saw the change in card type with FairFx and on balance I decided to close my account. I don't think there was anything horrendous about them, but there was mention of charges for unused cards. **
I also recently got a Starling account, after reading about them on here and MSE, as they appear to be really good. I like the fact that they have no fees for withdrawing over a certain monthly amount from ATMs, unlike some/all of the pre paid cards.
So for my next holiday, if it goes ahead, I plan to use a combination of Revolut and Starling for the main spends.
The only potential 'downside' with Starling is that I can't bank a good exchange rate pre holiday, but I've still got that option with Revolut.

** Edit
This is the link to the MSE article re charging on FairFx and other cards if not used. Revolut doesn't have this charge
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...-charged-a-p2/

shelle 3 Apr 21 09:36 PM

You should have received an email from them August last year regarding the upgrade to the new card. It was free to do. If you didn't do the upgrade your existing card would have closed on 31st October.

I still have the FairFX but just have it as a back up. We got it before we had a fee free credit card. If I was looking now I'd probably choose something else like Monzo.

gjdjud 3 Apr 21 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelle (Post 14907012)
You should have received an email from them August last year regarding the upgrade to the new card. It was free to do. If you didn't do the upgrade your existing card would have closed on 31st October.

I still have the FairFX but just have it as a back up. We got it before we had a fee free credit card. If I was looking now I'd probably choose something else like Monzo.

I don't think I got that email but I might just have missed it.:(

Bootrip2 3 Apr 21 10:58 PM

I can remember doing mine but i dont think DH did his as he didnt get email- i will have to chase as it has some $$ on. Bit worried the cash may have disappeared 🙁

LouH 4 Apr 21 06:42 AM

I didn’t have to pay for my new card. I ordered one and then when activated contacted them and they transferee them EUR and my USD amounts over.

Email them - I’ve always found them really quick and helpful

LouH 4 Apr 21 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 (Post 14907072)
I can remember doing mine but i dont think DH did his as he didnt get email- i will have to chase as it has some $$ on. Bit worried the cash may have disappeared 🙁

If you have a new currency card that’s the same account as previously just email them. I did and within hours the money was transferred.

youre-nicked 4 Apr 21 09:01 AM

I had the same renewal e mail even though my current card at the time was only 8 months old.