theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Additional Support Needs & DAS (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Wheelchair (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1142040)

barber2384 18 Aug 19 04:19 PM

Wheelchair

I’m currently going through a neurological condition which I’m yet to know the results of yet. However it has got to the point where I’m struggling to walk and fear needing a wheelchair. I get my results in just over a week and we go to Florida in the over 5 weeks. If I need a wheelchair, how would I go about getting one for the duration of our trip and not just renting in a park? A standard one that is

srh 18 Aug 19 04:27 PM

We are here now and seven days before travel my sons girlfriend broke her knee.

In the airports she had wheelchair assistance.

Before we arrived we booked a wheelchair with Randy mobility. They are fabulous. For more than 2 weeks it was $125 and the chair was dropped off at our hotel.

It is much cheaper than daily rental at a park.

barber2384 18 Aug 19 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srh (Post 14022756)
We are here now and seven days before travel my sons girlfriend broke her knee.

In the airports she had wheelchair assistance.

Before we arrived we booked a wheelchair with Randy mobility. They are fabulous. For more than 2 weeks it was $125 and the chair was dropped off at our hotel.

It is much cheaper than daily rental at a park.

Thankyou for that knowledge. It’s making me nervous about the possibility. I had a test the other day and afterwards couldn’t walk and had to be pushed round in a wheelchair in a shopping Centre. It was hard work and felt very judged. I know I’m going to need the cards in the parks to avoid long queues but really hoping I won’t need a chair. However I need a solution if it comes to that. Are there many options to choose from?

sasperella 18 Aug 19 06:58 PM

This will be our 3rd year renting from Applescooters.com
They deliver/pick up from certain places for free we’re staying onsite this time.
I think it is 3 days=$50 Additional days =$5a day.
This year for 17 days =$127.80. So must have gone up a bit?
They take payment a few days before you arrive.
Would recommend them. Never had a problem.

srh 18 Aug 19 07:01 PM

It was really easy with the wheelchair. Sometimes we had to wait a little longer to get on a ride and sometimes it was a little quicker. No judging at all from cast members but sons gf is in a leg brace so quite a visible injury.
It was a cast member that suggested the das pass. It was easy to set up. Not sure how many in your party but they like to limit it to 6. We went to a cast member on the ride who gave us s return time equivalent to the queue, you may still even then have a short wait.
There are a few companies that hire out the wheelchairs and mobility scooters and there are different types to choose from,
Really if it makes a difference to your holiday then don’t hesitate.

Trouble3 18 Aug 19 07:11 PM

I'd recommend taking your own wheelchair; that way you're not waiting so long for special assistance off the plane etc.
You can hire one from the Red Cross for about £15 a week I think (I did this the first time I needed one).
Or you could try a wanted ad on Freecycle.
Depending on the sort of wheelchair you wanted, you can buy new ones pretty cheaply nowadays (i.e. less than £100). :thumbs-up

barber2384 18 Aug 19 08:07 PM

How do you go about where to put wheelchairs while going on rides. I can walk but im hobbling and wont be suitable for any long distances so can get onto a ride?

Do you have to pay extra to take a wheelchair on a plane?

srh 18 Aug 19 08:40 PM

No charge for the wheelchair on the plane.

The cast members are really good and ask if you can transfer yourself from the chair to the ride.
Then they either indicate where to put it or take it from you.

After one or two rides you will be in the swing of things.

barber2384 18 Aug 19 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srh (Post 14023279)
No charge for the wheelchair on the plane.

The cast members are really good and ask if you can transfer yourself from the chair to the ride.
Then they either indicate where to put it or take it from you.

After one or two rides you will be in the swing of things.

Thats really helpful, thanks!

Do wheelchairs go in hold or can you take them on the plane to be able to get in it when you land straight away? Flying with BA btw

disneywiseowl 18 Aug 19 08:59 PM

Another option we’ve done twice is to buy a wheelchair from Walmart. Pre-order online & collect when you arrive. It can work out cheaper than renting depending on length of stay & you have the advantage of having the wheelchair for the return journey. We brought one back & left the other at MCO with an airport porter.

Wheelchairs go in the hold - after you’ve boarded the plane.