theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Guest Services (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   GDPR & theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1072054)

walt4it 23 Apr 18 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stupet11 (Post 13208089)
It's a nightmare for a sports club I run on my own with over 100 members who sign to join my club then the national body. Am thinking of closing the club and just making it a pay and play session, not collecting any info, just posting info on Facebook. Hopefully bypasses this.

... and that is why it becomes so frustrating:mad:

I am currently avoiding reading a 68 page document that is trying to make this apply to my work - it has weblinks inserted, so I am now on page 9 after 3 hours. I have dibbed as an avoidance tactic. Doing my box in but I am the person responsible in the end:erm:

Am at the flippant point of- everyone having a number, and nobody knowing what that number is - think that encapsulated GDPR in just a line!;)

stupet11 24 Apr 18 07:11 AM

The document I was sent said you can be fined £10 million for non compliance!

Andre 24 Apr 18 09:51 AM

I've been idly musing about the fact that the rules now appear to include photos of yourself within the category of "personal information" that EU citizens can request to have purged.

First, this would appear to be in direct conflict with British copyright law which states that it is the PHOTOGRAPHER, not the subject, who holds the rights to any image.

Second, think of all the people in the background in any holiday pictures, trip reports, photopass shots, etc. If one EU citizen who happens to be clearly visible in the background decides that they want all photos of themselves purged from the internet, could this new new law be stupid enough to even try to enforce that? <head explodes>

Andre

Bozza 16 May 18 08:42 PM

A little over a week to go now. Any idea when we will have access to these (apologies if I've missed them):

- Creating an easy access facility for members to see exactly what personal information we hold about them and to outline the process for change or removal of personal information.

-Changing our Terms of Use, Site Rules and Privacy policy. Please refer to these regularly as they may change to comply with GDPR and any additional data protection laws the UK may pass as we leave the EU.

-Creating an optional opt-in facility for things like marketing, offers, newsletters, etc.

Bozza 16 May 18 08:43 PM

And, as a follow-up, presumably if an existing member requests all of their data to be deleted, all their posts will also be completely removed from the site, even if it makes threads they've posted on a bit of a mess by the removal of posts?

Stu 16 May 18 09:23 PM

How are you doing with your own web site Darren, do you have all your policies in place?

Bozza 16 May 18 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 13255317)
How are you doing with your own web site Darren, do you have all your policies in place?

Of course not. That's why I'm asking whilst getting CTRL+C and CTRL+Y ready!

Stu 16 May 18 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozza (Post 13255353)
Of course not. That's why I'm asking whilst getting CTRL+C and CTRL+Y ready!

Thought as much :D
unfortunately it won't be as simple as copy and paste, we have been working on this for months now and hardly any of it is generic as it relates to what individual sites/businesses do with the data they collect and each will be different.

Andre 17 May 18 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozza (Post 13255222)
And, as a follow-up, presumably if an existing member requests all of their data to be deleted, all their posts will also be completely removed from the site, even if it makes threads they've posted on a bit of a mess by the removal of posts?

IF the posts don't contain any personally identifiable information then simply anonymising the username and clearing any saved IP addresses and email details ought to suffice. As long as what is left cannot in any way be traced back to an individual EU citizen.

But I'm sure the mad geniuses in Brussels will try to claim that even the fact that a person (voluntarily!) signed their first name at the end of a post counts as "personal information" - let alone listing their whole holiday information, dates, family photos, etc.

My own thought process on my site is to allow a user to remove any content that they wish to (by editing their own posts, at their own discretion, which they can do anyway) and then at their request I can then delete the account and anonymise any remaining posts. But my site is a lot smaller and an awful lot less full of potentially "personally identifiable" information than the DIBB.

Like most things that seem to come out of Brussels, the GDPR may have some good basic underlying ideals but it's been buried in a landslide of badly thought-out, over-bureaucratic Eurocrap.

Andre

Kelly1234 24 May 18 03:40 PM

Hello one and all.

I am after some advice, and I was hoping someone could help.

My wife and I look after dogs in our house (more of a hobby than a money stream).

We get the booking when the dog owner phones up the franchise holder, who in turn allocates one of their carers to look after the pet whilst the owner goes on holiday.

When we meet the pet owner we have to take down their name and address etc.

I have now been told that I have to keep this information in a locked cabinet.

This I am assuming is so that only I (the key holder) has access to the information.

My question is, what is the difference between a locked cabinet, and a locked house.

Both of these only I have access to, only one is far larger than the other.

Thanks in advance

K.