theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Virgin - There must be a reason - what is it? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1157461)

LindaPH 12 Jan 20 06:22 PM

Virgin - There must be a reason - what is it?

We want to go on Aug 24th I’ve spent the weekend trawling through every website and I’m gone goggly eyed!

Now, I’m price sensitive and I’ll go indirect so I have found some good prices actually. By going to Expedia.com vs .co.uk I can get the price down even more by paying in US$ for United.

But I’m reluctant to go ahead until I know why everyone and their cat is so fond of Virgin. Couple of the girls in the office have gone - all with Virgin. I see so many posts here about Virgin. My husband’s coworkers have nearly all gone with Virgin. My hairdresser told me to get a price from Virgin. What am I missing? Virgin are £267 more each from Gatwick so for 4 that’s over a grand.

I can’t see what I’m getting for the extra money. Comparing direct only - with BA is working out about 570 less than Virgin. But as a newb I’m afraid everyone knows something I don’t and I’m being penny wise and pound foolish?

Charlie30 12 Jan 20 06:28 PM

I favour virgin as we get free seat selection at the time of booking and luggage included which as a family of 5 really mounts up if we have to add on.
That’s the only reason I personally choose virgin. However if the price difference was immense then I would go with whoever was cheaper.

mummyroo1 12 Jan 20 06:36 PM

I will fly with who ever is cheapest! Have done 2 virgin trips and 2 BA. All which involved some degree of flying with American partner airlines. I much prefer the American airlines Delta and American Airlines in terms of flight comfort and service. I had some very bad service on one Virgin flight but not enough to put me off flying with them if the price was right. What I would never do however is book another package with Virgin, in my experience they are horribly over priced for packages. Often book elements with them like car hire or a hotel but not a full package. Our first trip staying at a cheap hotel on I drive cost more than out last one 4 years later staying at Animal Kingdom lodge for 2 weeks with food, the difference the first one was booked as a virgin package, the second one I booked myself!

ziggyzag 12 Jan 20 07:39 PM

I fly with whoever is cheapest, same metal tube for 9 hours, 1st year was Thomas cook, two times BA, upcoming trip Virgin (for some reason was cheaper than BA)

BevS97 12 Jan 20 07:54 PM

Absolutely nothing. We have flown with Virgin BA Delta Air France and I’ve never found any significant difference between any of them.

Virgin do have a good advertising campaign...

TheHughesCrew 12 Jan 20 08:04 PM

I honestly would fly with whoever is cheapest...

Goosey-Lucy 12 Jan 20 08:12 PM

We’ll fly with whoever’s cheapest, however I do like that you don’t have to pay for seat selection with Virgin like you do with BA, not flown with other airlines long haul so don’t know if others charge for seat selection

Loobylou_82 12 Jan 20 08:20 PM

Whomever is the cheapest. Would book Virgin if they were not a lot dearer in price.

Lostbrain 12 Jan 20 08:22 PM

We've done Virgin, BA and Delta, also flown AA to NYC and PAN AM to MN back in the day! Virgin have the best in flight entertainment choice and a great afternoon tea, BA have nice meals, but honestly if you're going economy it's the same sort of time, they're equally uncomfortable, there's not enough in it to make a massive difference.

scouser 12 Jan 20 08:23 PM

I have flown with Virgin,United,Delta,American,BA, all numerous times and I just go with whoever is cheapest, I don't mind flying indirect and never had a problem with seat selection even when I haven't paid in advance to choose seats, I must say probably everyone would prefer to fly direct if the price was cheap enough but we are stuck with school holidays so indirect does save hundreds for us.