theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Beyond the Parks (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Anna Maria or Sanibel? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1113179)

Libandarchie 18 Jan 19 04:13 PM

Anna Maria or Sanibel?

I need to decide on the middle bit of our trip (Orlando first, Keys last). I have a week to play with. We have stayed on Anna Maria before and loved it. My son liked to fish on the pier, we liked biking round and the quaint restaurants and shops. We have discussed returning to AMI but I am really tempted to go to Sanibel instead. Will it offer us the same?

Lana Del Love 19 Jan 19 11:06 AM

We went to Sanibel/Captiva last May and to be honest didn’t like it at all. I was really disappointed as I wanted to love it.
Sanibel was better than Captiva which was just rows of very beautiful beach front houses surrounded by heavy vegetation which blocked access to the sea. I just felt like I was on someone’s private estate and I wasn’t allowed to go anywhere they didn’t want me to! You could barely see the sea from the only road. I must be common because it felt too exclusive for me 😉
Sanibel had access points to public beaches but again not many. Sanibel had a nicer, relaxed, more laid back feel with a few sweet little shops too. The public beaches were stunning but with no facilities.
Would I go back to either? Maybe Sanibel for a day trip but Captiva never.

Hank 19 Jan 19 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lana Del Love (Post 13650884)
We went to Sanibel/Captiva last May and to be honest didn’t like it at all. I was really disappointed as I wanted to love it.
Sanibel was better than Captiva which was just rows of very beautiful beach front houses surrounded by heavy vegetation which blocked access to the sea. I just felt like I was on someone’s private estate and I wasn’t allowed to go anywhere they didn’t want me to! You could barely see the sea from the only road. I must be common because it felt too exclusive for me 😉
Sanibel had access points to public beaches but again not many. Sanibel had a nicer, relaxed, more laid back feel with a few sweet little shops too. The public beaches were stunning but with no facilities.
Would I go back to either? Maybe Sanibel for a day trip but Captiva never.

My thoughts exactly not a patch on Anna Maria Island, 20 odd years ago Sanibel, was the place to go. We went and were disappointed, we went back a couple of years ago and came to the same conclusion.

Hank

SgtElias 19 Jan 19 12:36 PM

Hi, I am interested in this comments on this subject, i suppose it all boils down to opinions, I was told don't go anywhere else but Sanibel, however I am taking 2 DD,s 21 & 18 and I want to make sure there is a bit more to do than just like on the beach, taking this into account, is AM a better option ?

jheaton 19 Jan 19 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtElias (Post 13651032)
Hi, I am interested in this comments on this subject, i suppose it all boils down to opinions, I was told don't go anywhere else but Sanibel, however I am taking 2 DD,s 21 & 18 and I want to make sure there is a bit more to do than just like on the beach, taking this into account, is AM a better option ?

Only been to Sanibel and Captiva for a day each(both lovely beaches) so cant comment on staying there

However have been to AMI lots of times and given the ages of your daughters, I would recommend Anna Maria as there is a free trolley service that runs up and down the island all day til about 11pm. If they fancy a few hours down to the shops etc they wouldnt need a lift from you. Also you could all go out to a restaurant without a designated driver:drinkbeer

keith&carol 19 Jan 19 01:00 PM

Hated Anna Maria. Stayed for 2weeks and wouldn’t go back. 3 robberies near us. No decent choice of restaurants.
Been to Sanibel loads of times, lovely island. There’s a great fishing pier with sandy beach and shells to collect for non fishers. Toilets a short walk away. The reserve is great for bird watchers and seeing how Sanibel looked when you had to get there by boat. There’s a shell museum, more interesting than it sounds and a collection of buildings from the time the first settlers came. Almost all the accommodation is beachfront or has access. Dolphins swim by often and there are alligators around. Two Supermarkets for self caterers and a great choice of cafes and restaurants. No chain restaurants allowed. There is a Dairy Queen that snuck in before the bylaws were changed. Sanibel is reached by a causeway. Both sides have picnic benches and toilets. You can fish from here as well. What’s not to like?

greekgranny 19 Jan 19 02:23 PM

Sanibel Captiva for a day visit, the shelling is good but not much else to do
A.M.I. is better for a longer stay although it has become busier.

Plenty of places to eat.

Rod and Reel Pier.

Bridge Street

Cortez for the Starfish Co.

Harrys Bar for a quick lunch

Ginny and Janes for coffee and Deli breakfast and lunch

Plenty of other places accessible by the previously mentioned trolley.

On average probably more misdeeds in Orlando area on a daily basis than AMI!

FloridaFi 23 Jan 19 12:25 PM

I really liked both but to stay rather than visit I’d go for Anna Maria every time.

PerksP 23 Jan 19 12:49 PM

Ding Darling Nature reserve on Sanibel is well worth a visit. You can hire bikes or take a trolley ride and there is loads of wildlife to see. We have only ever visited the island for a day but enjoyed in each time.

florida girl 24 Jan 19 08:04 PM

We have visited both .AMI for 2 weeks in a villa love the vibe,beautiful beaches and found plenty to do cycle hire,Robinson Preserve,manatees,fishing,jet ski.Sanibel visited several times while staying at Cape Coral beautiful beaches we hired bikes to get around and went to the lighthouse and several beaches then went back another day to Ding Darling Preserve ,as others have said Captiva we found a lovely beach eventually but a lot of places you are not allowed to go. If I had to choose between the two I would choose AMI.