theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Pre-Trip Report (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=996618)

Melbatb 20 Dec 16 08:10 PM

A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Pre-Trip Report

Just a quick pre-trip report before we leave for 10 days in NYC. Some of you may remember me from my previous two live trip reports this year - Quebec and Kuala Lumpur!

This time we are off for 10 nights in the Big Apple. It is the kids' first visit, DH's second (but the first time was 25 years ago!) and my fourth.

So who are we:
Me - Mel - a training manager working in the South of France who is rather obsessed with travelling.
J - my DH of over 20 years. He works hard to pay for our holidays!
O - DS aged 15. A lovely lad with a very understated sense of humour.
F - DD aged 12. A sensitive soul but very caring. She is T1 diabetic - not that she lets that get in the way.

Our adventure starts early tomorrow. The taxi is due at 5.15am for the 20 minute drive to our local airport.

We have a BA flight to LHR - hoping that they will tag our luggage through to NYC as we change airlines for the second flight.

We then have 7 hours at LHR thanks to both airlines changing their flights. Lunch is planned at Yo Sushi.

We are then on the Virgin flight to Newark - flying on the Dreamliner. Looking forward to trying out this airplane!

We are due to land at 7pm. After considering all the options we have decided on a cab to the hotel. This is Home2 Suites in Long Island City.

We chose this as we will have two queens and a sofa bed. With a fidgety 15 yo three beds was a necessity!

The hotel also has breakfast included. It is close to the subway and we can be in Times Square in 15 minutes. Hopefully it will be ok - it gets rave reviews!

We have bought the City Pass - 6 attractions. We have used these in Tampa, Toronto and Seattle to good effect. I managed to get 12% off too so at 90 euros it seems a bargain.

With them we will do:
ESB
TOTR
Intrepid
MOMA
Natural History Museum
A cruise

As well as visiting SOL (Crown access) we have booked a NHL game - NY Islanders v Buffalo Sabres.

We hope to spend time wandering and F has a long list of shops to visit ;)

So the bags are packed, hair has been cut and the boys are out at the cinema! I can't wait!

app 20 Dec 16 08:42 PM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 20 Dec 16 7:42 PM.

mick 20 Dec 16 09:18 PM

Have a fantastic time :spin: bit cold in N Y at the moment❄❄❄❄❄

Joan 🤶

Melbatb 20 Dec 16 09:52 PM

We have thermals ;) The last two trips I have been have been in winter so I know how cold it can get!

We have lots of layers - thermals, long sleeved Ts, fleeces, down jackets plus the obligatory scarves, hat and gloves. And only 2 suitcases!

Just seen the BA flight in tonight is on time - so we should be ok tomorrow :)

Thanks for reading Joan!

Beaker's Fluff 20 Dec 16 10:01 PM

Have a fantastic time, see you there...
We leave here Thu night for a Heathrow stay and then fly out first thing Friday morning... so excited.
We went last October and fell in love with the Big Apple. Can't wait to see the tree...
Safe trip.x

Melbatb 20 Dec 16 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaker's Fluff (Post 12169594)
Have a fantastic time, see you there...
We leave here Thu night for a Heathrow stay and then fly out first thing Friday morning... so excited.
We went last October and fell in love with the Big Apple. Can't wait to see the tree...
Safe trip.x

You too!

Forgot to say we have booked a fastpass for Santa at Macy's for Thursday afternoon! My 15yo is somewhat bemused!

Beaker's Fluff 20 Dec 16 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melbatb (Post 12169624)
You too!

Forgot to say we have booked a fastpass for Santa at Macy's for Thursday afternoon! My 15yo is somewhat bemused!

We are going to have a look at Macy's at 7am on Christmas Eve.

CrispyA 27 Dec 16 04:48 PM

What a lovely time of year to visit NYC! Looking forward to reading it.

Jake71 28 Dec 16 03:13 PM

Just catching up Mel, I haven't been on much since the beginning of December. Can't wait to read more.

Melbatb 28 Dec 16 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 12178261)
Just catching up Mel, I haven't been on much since the beginning of December. Can't wait to read more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrispyA (Post 12176911)
What a lovely time of year to visit NYC! Looking forward to reading it.

Thanks - weatherwise it has been strange! No snow as yet but perhaps tomorrow which will make it feel more festive!