theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Absolute nightmare! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1203846)

Floridatilly 18 Sep 21 09:35 AM

Absolute nightmare!

Its Saturday morning but what an absolute nightmare morning we have had!
We moved our daughter in to student accommodation yesterday. Spend 7 hours making everything perfect. Left a very happy and excited girl 💗
She went out with her flat mates last night, text me saying they are lovely and that they were having a brilliant time.
At 7am this morning her dexcom alarm started to go off (its on my husband’s phone as well as hers) her bloods were low, this continued to drop as we were trying to ring her. Her phone was obviously on silent but the alarm still goes off. Then it was urgent low then off the scale low and the alarm wasn’t waking her.
We couldn’t get hold of her so we had to ring the university accommodation warden who immediately went to her room and got her up to treat her hypo. An hour later her bloods were still low (below meter readings) we are in contact via phone and her speech is slurred but she is now 3.1 so creeping up.
Thank goodness for the dexcom and thank goodness for student accommodation wardens!
Her first morning. We have already had a long chat about her health, so a stern chat is needed later when she is well enough because she can not ever have her phone on silent.

enjibenji 18 Sep 21 09:39 AM

Omg what a worry, thank god for the dexcom!

Orlando 2004 18 Sep 21 09:43 AM

I hope she is ok now. Had been wondering how you got on with the move yesterday.

megaflyer 18 Sep 21 09:45 AM

Oh no - what a worry for you . Glad things worked out in the end and the wardens were on the ball. As you say a lesson for daughter - a scary one at that. Take it easy today and treat yourself - you need it x

soooexcited! 18 Sep 21 09:47 AM

Oh crikey what a worry for you. Thank god for the alarm. Xxx

Floridatilly 18 Sep 21 09:48 AM

She just doesn’t learn. I think because she has been diabetic since 6 years old she has become complacent about it. But she has always had us to sort her out. I am hoping this morning’s disaster will make her realise that she needs to be careful. Luckily the warden could get into her room when she didn’t respond to the knocking.
She feels sick and has a terrible headache now but at least her bloods are now safe 👍🏻

YorkshireT 18 Sep 21 09:49 AM

Thank goodness for modern technology. Diabetes runs in my family, I remember as a young boy my grandmother collapsing numerous times. Once when just her and me were out on a trip and I was about 10. It’s great they have things like this now.

Blue nose 18 Sep 21 09:54 AM

Sorry to read this but glad it all worked out with the warden. Hopefully enough of a scare that she will take more care.

Get her to allow calls from you when her phone is on Do Not Disturb/silent.

That way she can turn off to her friends during the night but you can still reach her.

You'll need boundaries though to only call when agreed or in an emergency. She does need space to ignore you when she wants/needs as part of growing up. (Meant in the nicest way).

buryboy 18 Sep 21 09:59 AM

Oh my word .
What an awful situation
Thank goodness for technology and for the warden

2point 18 Sep 21 09:59 AM

Good catch to be on top of that.

Fingers crossed the stern talking to works.