theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Oct 2015 - Day 6, Hollywood Studios, the Boardwalk&Trattoria al Forno (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=932749)

Lisa29 12 Feb 16 06:54 PM

The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Oct 2015 - Day 6, Hollywood Studios, the Boardwalk&Trattoria al Forno

The Land Sea and Wedding Trip Oct 2015 - Day 6, Hollywood Studios, the Boardwalk and Trattoria al Forno

The previous day is HERE.

Friday 16th October 2015

Phil and I were awake early this morning, just before 7am, as Phil was leaving early to do the Keys To The Kingdom tour with Dan and Dave. They had bought this for him as a thank you for all the photography stuff he had done, and would be doing at home, for them. He had some breakfast and then left with Dan and Dave in their car. Their tour was at 8.30am so they left quite early.

Madison was up not long after we were and Kaley woke at 7.30am. We all got dressed, suncreamed, ready, breakfasted, etc. and were leaving with Mum, Dad, Ryan, Bethany and Piper at 8.35am to go to Hollywood Studios. Mum drove us in our car so that it was there for us to come home in. I can drive and was on the insurance but have never driven in the US before and Mum was happy to drive so I was happy to be a passenger! :D

We were driving through the car park at 8.50am but had a bit of a faff to park. We had come in through a smaller entrance, rather than the main entrance, and it was really busy. We crawled all along the edge of the Stage area where we were to park as the traffic was moving so slowly. It seemed very disorganised, the cars coming in from I presume the main entrance weren't being stopped at all to let us go and seemed to be going past the parking area too, so I'm really not sure what was going on. :confused2 This was also the only time there were no staff directing cars to the parking spaces, which made things go slower too.

Finally parked in Stage 47, Madison, Mum and Dad waited for the tram and the rest of us walked to the entrance. We arrived at bag check at pretty much the same time and were in quite quickly. Madison, Kaley and I had some PP pictures

I know many people didn't like the Hat but I found it strange not seeing it there.

Mum and Dad went for a coffee, I think, and the girls and I went with Ryan, Bethany and Piper to the Animation Courtyard

We were going to the first 9.40am showing of the Disney Junior Live on Stage Show. We saw Minnie Mouse and Jake walk past us as we were in the line waiting, I think they were going to their meet and greet locations.

We didn't have to wait long before we were let in and we sat in our usual spot at the edge of the middle section, right at the back. They all really enjoyed this

They liked collecting the Gold Dabloons too. We brought some home with us for when I get round to doing my scrapbook.

While we were in here, Mum and Dad had gone to the Trolley Car Café for a Starbucks

Mum bought my Starbucks mug for me along with buying hers. She used their DVC discount again so these were $29.90 for 2 mugs and the discount was $2.99. Subtotal was $26.91, tax $1.75, making the total to pay $28.66.

Here is a picture of all four mugs

We met Mum and Dad outside and they had found Michelle and her family. We talked for a bit before going to Pixar Place to use our 9.35-10.35am FPs for Toy Story Mania. I was so excited to go on this having not gone on in 2013. :)

I went with Madison (in the alien car) and Kaley went with Mum. Mum ended up helping Kaley rather than playing on her own so she got a score of 70,200. These were mine and Madison's scores

I was mean, I didn't help Madison! :blush: We all loved this and had so much fun. For me, it's definitely worth the hype.

I tried to get some nice photos of Madison and Kaley but they were being a bit crazy!

We had Frozen Sing Along FPs between 10.35 and 10.50am, for the 11am show, so we went there next. We had a bit of a wait to get in as we were there near to the start of our FP window but we did end up with very central seats, quite close to the front of the stage.

I absolutely loved this! I know many aren't fussed with it but I really, really enjoyed it. Our storytellers were Aria and Eric (I don’t know if they are all called that or if that was their real names) but they were excellent, so funny and bounced off each other so well.

I recorded the whole show, alternating between the actual show and the girls singing along and their reactions. Typically, the battery started to go near the end but my Dad has the same video camera so he was able to switch the battery for me and I only missed about a minute of the show.

I would definitely go and see this again, if only so that I could sing along as I didn't this time because I was recording and didn't want my voice to be heard on it!

When this had finished, Mum and Dad came with us to watch the 12 noon Beauty and the Beast show

We were seated in the FP seating area so we were really central. Unfortunately, we had some rather tall people sat in front of us so we spent a lot of the show shuffling about trying to get a better view.

We loved this as always. It was Kaley's first time seeing it and she loved this too. We went to have some lunch next. I was gutted as Rosie's All American Café was closed. I was really looking forward to their burgers. We had to go to Fairfax Fare instead. Dad and Kaley found us some seats in the covered seating area whilst Mum, Madison and I got our food. This was the menu

We had a bottled water ($2.75), a regular diet coke ($2.99), two Bacon Cheeseburgers with crisps ($9.99 each) and two vanilla cakes ($2.99 each). This should have cost $31.70 plus tax but we used two counter service credits.

This wasn't very good. The burger was quite dry and I was really disappointed that it came with crisps rather than fries. Madison asked for some mayo to put on her burger which did make it a bit better. I wasn't keen on the pudding either. I don't think I will be returning to Fairfax Fare anytime soon. :(

Once we had finished, we took a slow walk across the park to Writers Stop. Very rubbish, I took no photos in here, sorry. I got a carrot cake cookie ($3.99), two Mickey red shorts shortbread cookies ($3.99 each) and a chocolate chip muffin ($3.29). This should have cost $15.26 plus tax but I used 4 snack credits.

We had a FP for Muppet Vision 3D at 12.30-1.30pm. We went there and it was a 5 minute wait so we didn't bother with the FP.

Waiting to get into the pre-show and then the actual pre-show seemed to take quite a while. I think we had arrived a couple of minutes before the end of our FP window and I noted down that it was 1.50pm when we actually took our seats so over 20 minutes to get in and through the pre-show.

This was ok. It's a ride ticked off the list that we won't have to go on again. We stopped for a photo at the fountain

Then we said goodbye to Mum and Dad and went for a little wander. It was horrible seeing the Osborne lights up and knowing we wouldn't get to see them in action again. :(

We knew the KTTK tour finished at 1.30pm so had made FPs at Tower of Terror for Dan, Dave and Phil at 1.45-2.45pm. We had arranged to meet there at 2.15pm so we went back in that direction, stopping for some more photos on our way

Continued in next post

Lisa29 12 Feb 16 07:00 PM

Continued from previous post

We walked down Sunset Boulevard towards Tower of Terror

This really does look amazing, it is so cool to look at. We got to the ride just after 2.15pm but couldn't see anyone. I sent a whatsapp to see where they were but didn't get a reply. We decided to wait inside at the exit area so that we wouldn't miss them, then finally, 40 minutes later, we saw their ride photo come up on the screen

They came off a couple of minutes later. We had a quick chat and talked a little bit about their tour (they all loved it, Phil loves Disney history and found out so many more interesting things) then Dan and Dave went to use their next FP. We had booked a throwaway FP for Phil and then one for Fantasmic!. As mine and the girls third FP had been and gone, we went to the kiosk near Tower of Terror to see if we could book a FP for us for Fantasmic! too. They had them available so we now all had FPs for 6.55-7.15pm for the 7.30pm show.

We made our way up towards the exit and stopped for a photo of the four of us

Mum had bought a Disney hand gel earlier, a Donald one I think, and Madison really wanted one. We went into Mickey's of Hollywood to see if they had some. They had lots of different ones and she chose an Ariel one to buy. This was $8.95 plus tax, making a total of $9.54. Kaley wanted to buy something and chose a Sleeping Beauty figures set. I'm not sure how much this was as I don’t have this receipt.

Phil had taken over the photography duties now and was snapping away as we left

We stopped at the Anna and Elsa topiary outside the entrance to get a photo of Madison and Kaley

Before making our way to the walkway to the Epcot resort area hotels.

It's such a shame that this is going, though I hope the rumours are true and it is being moved to Disney Springs.

It was about 3.40pm and it only took us 10 minutes until we were getting to the first of the Boardwalk rooms. We first took some photos with the Swan/Dolphin in the background

We carried on walking towards the Boardwalk

One last photo of the Swan/Dolphin as we walked over the bridge

And soon we were seeing the beautiful Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club area

We stopped at the Marina where you could hire boats, some of which were really well priced, as they had a little bean bag toss game out and Madison and Kaley wanted to play. Photo overload coming up :blush:

This one went in! :D

Continued in next post

Lisa29 12 Feb 16 07:01 PM

We had so much fun playing here, we had to practically drag Madison and Kaley away to carry on walking around. I say walking, there was some running and skipping going on

I would love to stay here one day

We carried on round to the beach area

And had to stop for some photos on the swing

We carried on our walk around

We were almost at the Boardwalk Bakery now, where I was planning on using some counter service credits for some lunch to take to Legoland tomorrow

Kaley had a mini photoshoot while her and Phil were waiting for me and Madison

Continued in next post

Lisa29 12 Feb 16 07:03 PM

As I mentioned, Madison and I had gone inside the Boardwalk Bakery and wow, what a choice you have in here. You can use counter service and snack credits in here and for a counter service credit, you get 1 entrée, 1 side, 1 dessert and 1 drink, so very good value. The entrees were the ones listed on the menu below

The desserts included were ANY of these in the case

We had a tomato and mozzarella sandwich ($9.49), a smoked turkey sandwich ($9.49) and a two cheese foccacia ($9.99), all with crisps as the side. I think you could also have soup as a side. We had three orange juices ($3.99 each) and for our desserts we had a carrot cake ($4.69)

A lemon tart ($4.79)

And a cheesecake brownie ($4.49)

We went outside and I started to write the prices on the receipt. I noticed that I had been charged for 2 two cheese focaccias and had had 4 counter service credits taken instead of 3. I went back in and it took them a good 5-10 minutes, plus a manager coming, to sort it out and they ended up refunding us two counter service credits, though I don't know if this was deliberate or accidental!

This should have cost $58.13 including tax but only cost us 2 counter service credits due to the refund. This is an excellent use of a counter service credit, especially if you want a sandwich rather than something that could be classed as your main meal.

While waiting, Kaley had got her new figures out to play with for a bit

And Madison had a sit in the pushchair, though as Phil was sat on a bench, I'm not too sure why!

It was nearly time for our 5pm ADR at Trattoria al Forno so we walked there

We were early and checked in at 4.45pm. Phil took a couple of photos while we were waiting

We were seated a few minutes later in a very quiet restaurant

We were seated right near the open plan kitchen, which was fun to watch

Our server Andrea and she was really friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu

And the kids menu

She took our drinks order and then brought us over some freshly baked ciabatta bread

This was delicious and Andrea quickly brought us a second portion when she saw that we had finished it. :)

We placed our food orders and we didn't wait long at all for it to be brought over to our table.

Madison had the Pepperoni Pizza Slices ($8.59 with drink and dessert)

She loved this and ate the whole thing.

Kaley had the Campanelli Pasta Marinara with Turkey Meatballs ($8.59 with drink and dessert)

She ate all of the meatballs and a bit of the pasta.

Phil had the T-Bone Steak Florentine with Broccolini ($36.99)

He really enjoyed this and ate every bit of it.

I had the Semolina Tagliatelli alla Carbonara ($19.99)

Mine was good, just not anything overly special unfortunately.

Andrea brought us over the dessert menu

For dessert, Madison had the chocolate gelato and Kaley had the vanilla gelato

As is usually the case when it is on the menu, Phil had a Spoonful of Gelato ($4.99) and chose hazelnut as the flavour

I had the Tiramisu, Lady Fingers soaked with espresso and layered with Italian Mascarpone Cream ($6.99)

We all really liked our desserts and ate all of them. :) Andrea brought the bill over to us

This should have cost $92.94 plus tax but we used 4 table service credits and left a tip of $18. We were finished and walking out by 6pm, so we were in a little over an hour, though we didn't feel at all rushed.

Continued in next post

Lisa29 12 Feb 16 07:07 PM

We walked back to Hollywood Studios, and of course had to take more photos on the way

I spy a Disney Wedding taking place. :)

We saw a Disney security car on the way back

Madison and Kaley were happily running and skipping along ahead of us

As we got near to the entrance of HS, we saw Ryan, Bethany and Piper as they were leaving the park. We talked for a few minutes then went back into the park. We hadn't walked very far when we saw Dan and Dave. If I remember correctly, I think they actually really made me jump! :blush:

We were in the Echo Lake area and we saw a PP photographer with no line so had a few photos taken

Kaley and Madison wanted some photos with Auntie Dan and Uncle Dave

It was getting close to our FP time so we made our way over to Sunset Boulevard, stopping for another PP photo on the way

Tower of Terror looking cool all lit up

We walked to the entrance of Fantasmic!

We scanned our magic bands and made the long walk up towards the theatre. We left the pushchair in the stroller parking area and carried on to the theatre. We were directed to the far left of the theatre and were sat in the furthest section, near to the front. It was about 7.10pm so we had a bit of a wait for the show to start. They were playing some good music and the Mexican Wave was going around.

Lots of selfies were taken whilst we were waiting, most of which were silly ones!

This passed the time and Fantasmic! started just after 7.30pm. Kaley really liked this, Madison wasn't so keen on all the loud noises. I thought it was good but there were parts of it that I felt could be cut out to make it a bit shorter. Phil took loads of photos but I will just share a couple

Because we were sat in the furthest section from the entrance, and the Stadium was packed, we decided to leave a few minutes early so as not to get stuck behind thousands of people leaving. As we were walking along the walkway at the back, the boat with all the characters came out so we did get to see that

I'm glad we have seen this now as it had been so long since we last saw it but for me, it doesn't come close to how amazing Wishes is and I won't be going back to see it any time soon.

We fast walked out, grabbed the pushchair on the way and were out of the park quite quickly. We decided to get the tram back to the car as the girls had been wanting to go on one since we got here and were on this on our way to the car at 8pm.

It was very busy as we drove out of the car park and we couldn't get into the lane we needed so had to go in the opposite direction and do a u-turn at the first opportunity. We got back to OKW and put the girls to bed, where they fell asleep almost immediately.

This is how they both sleep every night

We sat and watched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for a while, Dan came round for a bit then we had an early night and were in bed by 10pm.

Next up, day 7 - Legoland, Grand Welcome and Raglan Road is HERE

DINING PLAN ROUND UP - 28/48 Table Service used, 15/48 Counter Service used and 6/48 Snack Credits used

(Phil had a Dole Whip after their KTTK tour had finished, making it 5 snack credits used today.)

Milner 12 Feb 16 08:56 PM

Fantastic day and lovely photos.

Redrach1903 12 Feb 16 09:27 PM

Sounds like a fab morning at HS :)

Loving all the photos at The Boardwalk, the girls look to be having so much fun!

I wouldn't go back to see Fantasmic either to be honest! Glad I've seen it, but wouldn't hurry back!

Great read lovely xxx

EllieP 12 Feb 16 09:39 PM

The food at Trattoria al Forno looked excellent value for CS credits. Is this CS only or TS? We are still planning our CS credits for August so may give this a go when visiting Boardwalk.
Another excellent day, thank you for sharing.

cd900 13 Feb 16 12:47 AM

Loving all your reports! Have you noticed the boys behind photo bombing your selfies at fantasmic?!

Cinderella 13 Feb 16 07:19 PM

Great day 👍