theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Nut allergy sufferers and airlines (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1147699)

ashchall95 29 Sep 19 08:58 PM

Nut allergy sufferers and airlines

What are your experiences with nut allergies on different airlines ? I have always gone TUI which basically do not serve packets of nuts on board.

As we are looking into a DIY trip we are having to look at lots of other airlines. Those with allergies can you tell me your experiences with the big airlines that go to Orlando?

Delta seem great how ever cant get much in the way of the others, our allergy is airborne so request that packets of nuts aren't sold I'd possible

ChrisE 29 Sep 19 09:15 PM

I have flown on BA numerous times to and from Orlando and although they do serve nuts with pre meal drinks, there have been a number of occasions when they have made a PA announcement stating that there is a passenger with nut allergy and asking other passengers to not consume nuts.

ashchall95 29 Sep 19 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisE (Post 14101662)
I have flown on BA numerous times to and from Orlando and although they do serve nuts with pre meal drinks, there have been a number of occasions when they have made a PA announcement stating that there is a passenger with nut allergy and asking other passengers to not consume nuts.

Thanks so the nuts are still served with those passengers on board ? I know this may seem dramatic however the thought of anaphylaxis mid Atlantic is quite scary and my doctor has advised my allergy is airborne:(

ChrisE 29 Sep 19 09:22 PM

No, they serve an alternative non nut snack when there is a nut allergy passenger on board. On my last trip very nice selection of nuts on the way out and pretzels on the way back when there was someone with an allergy.

ashchall95 29 Sep 19 09:34 PM

Alot of flights and deals we are finding are with virgin has any one experienced anything with them ?

RickT 29 Sep 19 09:34 PM

Note, the airline cant prevent any pax bringing nuts on board and consuming them.

ashchall95 29 Sep 19 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickT (Post 14101704)
Note, the airline cant prevent any pax bringing nuts on board and consuming them.

wouldnt expect or want this. I am just asking if they stock bags of nuts on their inflight snack menu when giving drinks to minimize the risks

Blue nose 29 Sep 19 09:51 PM

I think virgin give pretzels rather than nuts. I've read on here that they do announcements. Maybe give the airport of choice a call?

ashchall95 29 Sep 19 09:54 PM

would the airport advise us on this ?

MENTALMUM 29 Sep 19 10:06 PM

What are you allergic to as this can make a huge difference, if it is peanuts then you are relatively safe with any airline as they have a reasonable understanding of peanut allergy, none of them will guarantee that the food is completely safe and actively encourage you to take your own food. If it is tree nut allergy you need to be more careful especially if you travel with an american company, they freely offer nuts as they are a cheap snack so you are at risk straight away from any debris left over from previous flights even if they do not serve any as snacks.
You also need to scrutinise the menu as they can serve nuts as part of the vegetarian menu.
We have had a horrendous experience with Virgin although it was 5 years ago where my son was offboarded as they were serving walnut penne pasta and he is anaphylactic allergic to walnuts. I had had numerous discussions with them prior to flying and they assured me no nuts would be served but hey were part of the meal. We were advised on that flight that if my son's allergies were airbourne that he wouldn't be able to fly as they couldn't guarantee his safety
We have flown with Thomas Cook since then as they were brilliant, sadly they are no more. We are now in a similar position to you as I need to re book for next year and not happy with any of the choices.