theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Photo, Video & Vlogs (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Question for the digital camera experts (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1178404)

OutbackAddict 12 Aug 20 09:12 PM

Question for the digital camera experts

looking to buy a nice mirrorless camera for DW for her birthday. something good, not extortionate and not to bulky when carrying around, i have seen some great reviews on the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 111 with the 14-42mm EZ 'pancake' lens, apparently digital camera worlds favourite travel camera, i would appreciate any reviews, alternative suggestions or tips for good places to buy etc

thanks

BucksBugsy 12 Aug 20 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutbackAddict (Post 14611383)
looking to buy a nice mirrorless camera for DW for her birthday. something good, not extortionate and not to bulky when carrying around, i have seen some great reviews on the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 111 with the 14-42mm EZ 'pancake' lens, apparently digital camera worlds favourite travel camera, i would appreciate any reviews, alternative suggestions or tips for good places to buy etc

thanks

Much as I would love to help i have no experience of this particular camera. I get the feeling that olympus isn't one of the most popular brands with photographers which is a shame because I have had 2 Olympus DSLRs and they were such a quality build they were a pleasure to use.

I hardly use a DSLR these days as I rely on my phone camera because it is so convenient (I know , flog me now) but DW (caj- also on the dibb) loves her DSLR

If you to buy a new camera please come back and let us know what you think

BB

Vanillapod 12 Aug 20 09:29 PM

You’ll probably get a good deal
on an Olympus right now as they’re pulling out of the camera market.
The photo trade is a bizarre place to be right now...

BevS97 12 Aug 20 10:03 PM

I have a Sony mirrorless camera. It was about £400. I really like it. I only have the kit lens.

OutbackAddict 13 Aug 20 09:11 AM

Any other views ?

Mr Tom Morrow 13 Aug 20 09:24 AM

I have no knowledge whatsoever.:erm:

However my Son bought a Sony HX350 for when he went to NY last year and I must say his pictures are really good.

Best I can do sorry.

dcmax 13 Aug 20 09:31 AM

Sony alpha6000 range (or its newer or (older) replacements/(predecessor which can usually be picked up on ebay or MPB) -- Superb range of lenses from the usual suspects and the kit lenses can be quite a bargain.

dcmax 13 Aug 20 09:32 AM

Sony alpha6000 range (or its newer or (older) replacements/(predecessor which can usually be picked up on ebay or MPB) -- Superb range of lenses from the usual suspects and the kit lenses (decent if not very fast) can be quite a bargain

Vanillapod 13 Aug 20 09:32 AM

I’d recommend Fuji cameras. They’re lightweight but with great build quality, excellent performance and also a good selection of lenses. You can of course use most manufacturers lenses with the relevant body adapter meaning there are some excellent secondhand lens options available!

the_weird_one 13 Aug 20 09:35 AM

I'd probably avoid the Olympus unfortunately. As mentioned earlier Olympus have pulled out of the consumer digital imaging market; at least its been sold by Olympus to an investment company much like Kodak is a name owned by an investment company making everything.

The Canon EOS M50 is a nice compact mirrorless camera which gets good reviews for photo and video work, though the EOS M mount isn't massively supported by Canon you can get a EOS M to EOS EF adapter and there's a lot of those lenses out there.

Otherwise a Sony Alpha A6000 would be a good option from friends I have who started slr photography.