theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Volunteering in Scotland (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1141663)

muffinmclean 16 Aug 19 01:02 AM

Volunteering in Scotland

The other day I was at the park with my friend while our daughters played. This older lady stopped and asked if she could sit with us for a bit as she was so lonely after her husband died last year and didn’t like being in the house herself, so chatted to anyone she could. I cried my eyes out after she left, it was so sad that anyone should feel so lonely (she did have family she sees quite regularly but it’s once she’s back in the house herself that it hits her she’s alone). Anyway. It has gotten me thinking. My youngest is starting school and currently I am only part time in work, so I thought I could maybe volunteer in some area that is helping people, be it the elderly or community food banks. I wondered, does anyone do this in Scotland? How do you find it? I suppose I am a bit scared at enquiring and then being ‘tied down’ or not liking it. I would just need to find something that can be flexible on as when the kids are on inset days/holidays I would be looking after them.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Or PM me if you’d prefer

Gryff 16 Aug 19 01:14 AM

I’m in Scotland
Many schools do a multi generation program
Ask your local social work department for. Befriending group
I was a care home manager for years my clients loved when our village kids came celebrating holidays local events even going to the park with a picnic
Biggest hit as always the nativity play in house. Etc

skb 123 16 Aug 19 02:04 AM

Some libraries have volunteers who choose and deliver books to people who can't get to the library themselves.

Vinniecat 16 Aug 19 03:45 AM

I'm not in Scotland but would love to hear what you decide to do. Have you thought about contacting age concern?

Pookie3101 16 Aug 19 04:04 AM

Volunteering is a great way to give a little of your time to help individuals or organisations.
As a volunteer, in most roles, you are not tied down and commit based on your availability. I’m sure there are befriending schemes around in your area.

Contact Volunteer Scotland as a starting point for what is available in your local area and how you can help.

Gabsnoot 16 Aug 19 08:05 AM

Reading your post brought a tear to my eye, that is so sad.

Maybe get in touch with Voluntary Action Scotland for a wee chat and to explain what availability you have etc. they may be able to advise what opportunities are available in your area.

I’m in Scotland and I volunteer with Support in Mind in my local area, helping to run embedded literacy groups for adults. I only do 3 hours a week as I also have kids and a part time job so there are opportunities out there to fit in with family life.

Fuellady 16 Aug 19 08:15 AM

My eldest daughter lives in Edinburgh and volunteers with a charity who provide company for elderly people. The charity matches the volunteer with a person who lives nearby. My daughter visits her person once a week for 2 hours. If the elderly person feels up to it they can go for a little walk or out for a coffee. My DD loves it and has become great friends with her person.

I’m not sure of the charity’s name but if you’re interested I can find out for you.

janeg88 16 Aug 19 08:35 AM

There's one my friend is involved in where you cook a meal once a month for an elderly person. I think its quite flexible, you can either go to their house or have them at yours. Again I'll try and find out more.

sutheli 17 Aug 19 12:23 AM

There’s a service you can volunteer for, sorry I can’t remember it’s name, where you phone a lonely person once a week for a chat at a prearranged time. You get to know the person and the chat brightens their day x

Vinniecat 17 Aug 19 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sutheli (Post 14020035)
There’s a service you can volunteer for, sorry I can’t remember it’s name, where you phone a lonely person once a week for a chat at a prearranged time. You get to know the person and the chat brightens their day x

I knew a lady that used this service (unfortunately she has passed away now) it really did make a huge difference to her despite it only being a phone call not meeting in person. My daughter actually volunteered to do it but the woman she arranged to call had an extremely busy social life (I couldn't understand why she needed the service) eventually my daughter got fed up because the lady kept rearranging times.