theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Christmas (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Christmas Food and Cocktail Report (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1185379)

Goldia 19 Dec 20 05:13 PM

Christmas Food and Cocktail Report

Is anyone missing the food trip reports? I know I am, especially the Christmas ones there are usually a few to look forward to.

Well this got me thinking. I've been a very poor dibber recently :blush: and far too busy to browse the site let alone read posts or comment on them. Now I'm off for Christmas and I'm pretending Boris didn't drop a bombshell in our laps right at the end of term :nonono: as all I want to do now is while away a few hours reading threads on here, pretending the World outside isn't really there ;).

After I've done that, which I'm sure you will agree is a very good use of my time, I want to spend a good long time looking up recipes for tasty food and drinks. Then I want to spend a good deal of time making some tasty treats and then I want to share the photos of what I make. Maybe that will inspire some of you to share your tasty treats as I'm looking for inspiration.

I'll start off with peppermint bark. This was really yummy, it lasted at least 2 hours! We ate it while watching Guardians of the galaxy vol 2 last night. It's all gone now so I will need to get going on some other treats.

It went really well with some Fizz. :pgig: but then everything goes well with some Fizz.

This afternoon I'm making Mary Barry's white chocolate and ginger cheesecake, as we have to have cheesecake at Christmas. To go with it we will have a Pomegranate Spritzer. This is a cocktail I made last Christmas for a party and it went down well. This year it will just be two of us drinking it, but still it's worth the effort.

Hopefully some of you will share your creations, or at least enjoy a version of a food report :)

:wave:

Sparksy72 19 Dec 20 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldia (Post 14758314)
Is anyone missing the food trip reports? I know I am, especially the Christmas ones there are usually a few to look forward to.

Well this got me thinking. I've been a very poor dibber recently :blush: and far too busy to browse the site let alone read posts or comment on them. Now I'm off for Christmas and I'm pretending Boris didn't drop a bombshell in our laps right at the end of term :nonono: as all I want to do now is while away a few hours reading threads on here, pretending the World outside isn't really there ;).

After I've done that, which I'm sure you will agree is a very good use of my time, I want to spend a good long time looking up recipes for tasty food and drinks. Then I want to spend a good deal of time making some tasty treats and then I want to share the photos of what I make. Maybe that will inspire some of you to share your tasty treats as I'm looking for inspiration.

I'll start off with peppermint bark. This was really yummy, it lasted at least 2 hours! We ate it while watching Guardians of the galaxy vol 2 last night. It's all gone now so I will need to get going on some other treats.

It went really well with some Fizz. :pgig: but then everything goes well with some Fizz.

This afternoon I'm making Mary Barry's white chocolate and ginger cheesecake, as we have to have cheesecake at Christmas. To go with it we will have a Pomegranate Spritzer. This is a cocktail I made last Christmas for a party and it went down well. This year it will just be two of us drinking it, but still it's worth the effort.

Hopefully some of you will share your creations, or at least enjoy a version of a food report :)

:wave:

Abby that chocolate bark looks delicious :tongue: and you are totally right, fizz goes with everything :grin:

I’m looking forward to seeing pics of your delicious sounding cheesecake too! It was Adam’s birthday last week so I made a no bake ginger nut slice. It was soo good and very zingy. :D

Good to see you back. :wavey:

Goldia 19 Dec 20 07:45 PM

Yay Michelle, that looks great. You're gonna love the Pomegranate Spritzer we are having tonight.

Xx

ChoppyGirl 19 Dec 20 08:22 PM

My favourite part of The Dibb are the trip reports and the food ones. I’m really missing them.

Goldia 19 Dec 20 08:24 PM

I'm going to do my best to keep this a live food report, something I never achieved with any of my previous trip reports :tongue: but given we are in Kent so right in the thick of tier 4 there's no going out so it makes my plan of making food and cocktails, eating food and cocktails and sharing it with you easy to achieve ;)

The day started with coffee and not just any old coffee but lovely Joffreys coffee.

I would have loved it to have been one of these Joffreys coffees, not quite this, but it was good.

Back in August I spotted a thread about Joffreys offering discounts and free international delivery. Well I didn't have to be told twice.

It was so good that we are on our second order now :)

I don't think we will be able to go back to our normal coffee. This is really a treat and a great way to start the day.

It does taste of Florida. :thumbs-up

Goldia 19 Dec 20 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl (Post 14758639)
My favourite part of The Dibb are the trip reports and the food ones. I’m really missing them.

I can't promise this will be quite the same as the Florida reports, but we had Chicken Parmigiana this evening and that is a Florida favourite for me so there will be some throwback. Plus I'm terribly sentimental at the best of times and love looking through my old photos so likely I will post a few Florida food photos for the memories.

Goldia 19 Dec 20 08:38 PM

Chicken Parmigiana

I had this in Tony's Town square on our first day in MK on our 2019 trip, which was when my parents came with us. I had the trio which was chicken Alfredo, meatball and chicken parm.

Kate helped make the meal this evening.

It's pretty easy. Bash your chicken out. Dip in beaten egg, then in breadcrumbs and parmesan. Grill for 5 mins each side. I then put the dish in the oven as I worry the Chicken won't be cooked through. Meanwhile cook garlic, passata, seasoning, sugar and oregano. Boil your pasta. When the pasta is nearly ready add the sauce to the Chicken pan, then put slices of mozzarella and grated parmesan on top of the Chicken and grill.

We all agreed this is a firm favourite.

Goldia 19 Dec 20 08:42 PM

Pomegranate Spritzer

And we're back on the Fizz tonight. But this time Christmassy Fizz. Earlier this afternoon I sent DH out in the garden for a couple of sprigs of rosemary, these get added to litre of pomegranate juice which is boiled until reduced by half. Cool the juice mixture and serve with your choice of cava, Prosecco or champagne.

Happy Christmas :wavey:

Sparksy72 19 Dec 20 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldia (Post 14758676)
Pomegranate Spritzer

And we're back on the Fizz tonight. But this time Christmassy Fizz. Earlier this afternoon I sent DH out in the garden for a couple of sprigs of rosemary, these get added to litre of pomegranate juice which is boiled until reduced by half. Cool the juice mixture and serve with your choice of cava, Prosecco or champagne.

Happy Christmas :wavey:

Looks and sounds delicious Abby. I love that it coordinates with your Disney Tree! :D

smithlane 20 Dec 20 10:32 AM

Abby, it’s so lovely to see you back! I was only thinking of you the other day as I hadn’t seen you post in ages.
I can imagine work has been hellish for you, how nice that you have a decent chunk of time to eat and drink! That is exactly how I’m going to survive this Christmas 😂

The peppermint bark looks divine, I think I’ll take a shot at doing some too. I take it’s easy to make?

I love the look of the Chicken Parmigiana, I was slightly put off ever making it as the one I had in Mama Melrose’s smelt like feet (sorry!) it had so much parmesan on it I couldn’t eat it! Do you think I could just skip that part as I’m not a huge fan of strong cheese?

I will certainly be trying out that Pomegranate fizz cocktail though, that’s right up my street! Can you get pomegranate juice easily? I’ve never seen it in the supermarkets but I suppose I’ve never actually looked before
I ordered a cocktail shaker off of Amazon and just had an email to say it’s being delivered today, you know how my day is going don’t you 😂. I can’t believe I haven’t had one before, this will be a game changer for my Cosmo’s now!

My offering of Christmas food is mince pies I made yesterday. I don’t even like them but it’s a tradition I make them every year!

Next on the list is millionaires shortbread, S’mores cookies, Snickerdoodles and a Rocky Road cheesecake pudding