theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Christmas (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   New boxing day traditions (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1204597)

Floridatilly 26 Sep 21 10:52 AM

New boxing day traditions

Boxing days from now on are going to be different so I want to start a new tradition 🥰
All my life we have had a small family buffet, since my dad passed my sister and I took it in turn to host the buffet. She has now put a stop to it 😪
I could (and should) still have my mum round but she refuses to take her shoes and coat off and pulls me and my house to pieces, so selfishly I would rather not feel uncomfortable in my own home on Boxing day.
Last year was very upsetting because Mason was freshly out of hospital with a feeding tube so this year is a new start 😍
I am open to any suggestions budget allowing 😉
My children will be 18, 15 and 8, non of them like shopping so definitely not that 😂😂

bigkid2014 26 Sep 21 11:25 AM

Book for panto. Great fun.

Excitedx4 26 Sep 21 01:20 PM

Why not just have a little buffet just your family? I always find Christmas Day is too busy for them to appreciate and enjoy what they’ve got for Christmas. Boxing Day is always our down time day as the run up is so hectic it’s lovely to just chill and the kids can look at what they’ve got and sort their rooms out to accommodate their new things.

Defo with you on the shopping front, couldn’t go out doing the sales on Boxing Day, plus I’m usually a bit delicate 🤣🤣 all the family goes to my aunties Xmas night about 50 of us and have a good knees up 🥴

lovestoplan 26 Sep 21 01:35 PM

Make it a family games day in jarmies. No-one rushes, all just having the chance to dig through presies and eat beige party food out the freezer!

JAF 26 Sep 21 01:47 PM

When our children were young we always found somewhere to go for a walk then they started playing hockey and their club had a parents V children match followed by mince pies and hot drinks in the club house. Made it easy for us - others were willing to come and spectate or take part if feeling active enough.

DisneyDaffodil 26 Sep 21 02:02 PM

A family walk in the fresh air is lovely on Boxing Day, followed by an evening of board games or family video games.

Alternatively a trip to the panto or the cinema to see one of the big releases that come out around Christmas time is fun too

Megandllsmum 26 Sep 21 02:35 PM

A nice walk weather permitting , if it's cold nine up and fancy hot chocolates when you get home, family games and Christmas movies and chill out... Sounds like heaven to me and I'd love to do that but I work in retail and our shop will be open for sales 😥😥... fingers crossed though I'm off lol 🤞🤞🙏🙏

ginwithaslice 26 Sep 21 03:09 PM

Has your sister said why she wants to stop?

My SIL hosts a huge crowd on Boxing day, and it was an all day event. A few years ago I thought it was getting a bit much and suggested making it later in the day, with drinks and a very simple buffet we all pitch in with.
It's worked well as the focus is on getting together for a shorter time rather than a whole day event where the host is exhausted.

inky1 26 Sep 21 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkid2014 (Post 15151983)
Book for panto. Great fun.

Was going to suggest it. - we did it every from when DS was about 2 until a couple of years ago - obviously now he’s too cool lol
Little lunch before hand or even a McDonald’s it’s a nice afternoon out .
It’s hard when things change we have no family left really so I’m always trying to think of things to make it special .

Floridatilly 26 Sep 21 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginwithaslice (Post 15152232)
Has your sister said why she wants to stop?

My SIL hosts a huge crowd on Boxing day, and it was an all day event. A few years ago I thought it was getting a bit much and suggested making it later in the day, with drinks and a very simple buffet we all pitch in with.
It's worked well as the focus is on getting together for a shorter time rather than a whole day event where the host is exhausted.

Family politics 🙄, my mum and aunt (& her family) never host or bring anything on Boxing day so my sister is not paying for other people to eat and drink for free !
My sister and I used to take it in turns so I could offer to do it every year but out of principal my husband says no chance. My sister has never brought anything to my buffets even though I do all the deserts for hers 🤨🤨
She is rich for a reason, she won’t part with money 😂😂
To be fair on her, she has never been into Christmas or family traditions. We are total opposites so she shouldn’t do it if she doesn’t enjoy it 👍🏻👍🏻