theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Shocking Gas and Electric costs (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1203755)

Kirky123 20 Sep 21 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michyloulou (Post 15141881)
We are similar, currently with Octopus on a fixed rate that is ending soon. Currently paying £148pm (that’s for gas & elec combined). New quote is £210pm. Very worrying. Is it time to invest in a solar panel or something I wonder?

After I requested an update on my account (when they advised I was £150 in debit) this has now increased my last three payments to £165...

This morning I've just switched to Sainsburys energy, 2 year fixed for £160 per month. 12000 nectar points plus triple points when shopping at Sainsburys. Still an eye watering amount but better than the £215+ EDF wanted. Checking the unit prices, sainsburys are 6p cheaper on elec and 3p cheaper on the gas. Standing charges the same. No exit fees.

I'll still have to clear the amount I'm in debit but Id prefer to do that now than find out in Dec I'll have to pay over £200.

MariaLynda 20 Sep 21 09:00 AM

I've just done a quote on octopus and it's 50 month more eek. Will look at sainsburys I was with them at one point.

amy56 20 Sep 21 09:12 AM

So are People’s energy customers like me just sitting tight and waiting to see what happens?

I haven’t done anything since hearing they’ve gone bust (per the Martin Lewis recommendation earlier in the thread), but now wondering if I should be shopping around for a deal?

Bee happy 20 Sep 21 09:14 AM

Will take a look at Sainsbury's thanks. I'm on variable rate with SSE, I currently pay £171 electric and £71 gas a month dreading what it will rise to 😢

dx4100 20 Sep 21 09:22 AM

My current deal as ended and my DD is going from

£165 a month to £250 a month.

Madness... but I have shopped around and that is the going rate. So have locked in on that for 2 years with a £70 exit fee if the situation changes.

tiggertastic 20 Sep 21 10:32 AM

I'm glad I managed to switch. I moved to octopus so hope they aren't in trouble. But I only have electric.
Avoid British gas evolve. I was autoswitched to them from British gas.
British gas evolve are pretty useless. The meter readings went up by over 2000 units when British gas closed my account to opening reading for bg evolve the next day. They are disputing this. Usless.

Edit: it's a system glitch caused by an estimated final reading 🙄 but taking far too much effort to sort out.

megaflyer 20 Sep 21 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggertastic (Post 15142238)
I'm glad I managed to switch. I moved to octopus so hope they aren't in trouble. But I only have electric.
Avoid British gas evolve. I was autoswitched to them from British gas.
British gas evolve are pretty useless. The meter readings went up by over 2000 units when British gas closed my account to opening reading for bg evolve the next day. They are disputing this. Usless.

I think Octopus will be OK, Sainsbury not so sure - they could easily fold and you find yourself being transferred into say SSE with a huge hike. Interesting inert view on TV news last night from CEO Octopus saying they had already priced their options unlike other subsidiaries. Article in the Times expects another 10 companies to fold before year out ……..

Moorlandman 20 Sep 21 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dx4100 (Post 15142189)

Madness... but I have shopped around and that is the going rate. So have locked in on that for 2 years with a £70 exit fee if the situation changes.

Wow, that’s £3000 a year 😮

barryp1 20 Sep 21 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dx4100 (Post 15142189)

I guess the floor area of your house is over 3,000 sq ft.

tiggertastic 20 Sep 21 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megaflyer (Post 15142240)
I think Octopus will be OK, Sainsbury not so sure - they could easily fold and you find yourself being transferred into say SSE with a huge hike. Interesting inert view on TV news last night from CEO Octopus saying they had already priced their options unlike other subsidiaries. Article in the Times expects another 10 companies to fold before year out ……..

I hope you are right re octopus. The rate has already gone up 3p per unit from what I fixed at.